View Single Post
Old 2006-10-06, 23:48   Link #139
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

I was very please by what I saw. I understood none of the dialogue, which is important to me, but I was familiar enough with the story to follow along. What I saw, however, was an "artfulness," a desire to correct old mistakes, and ambition. It sometimes looked a little self-conscious, but I thought that was okay. The first series seemed to lack in ambition, and I suspect that's why so many people were disappointed.

It's ironic. Despite the fan service (which I absolutely don't have a problem with), I felt the first series skewed young. I really liked the characters, but I couldn't relate to it on any other level, so I stopped watching. We were lead to believe the new series was aimed at a younger audience, and the service was conspicuously absent, but it looked to me like a far more mature work. I even think the animators were having some reflexive (a la Gainax) fun with the lack of service in the opening scene. If I'm right, it was very clever.

I could be wrong. Again, I understood none of the dialogue, and I was watching the first episode of an anime that could go on forever. But I really had a good time watching it, so I'm really hopeful.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote