Old 2010-01-15, 13:20   Link #906
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
*words about Evangelion*
The thing about the TV series was it was too heavy-handed. Suspension of disbelief, for me, was utterly shattered because every goddamned character was beyond fucked up to such a point where it stopped feeling real.

I got to the point where I was just laughing hysterically every time something bad happened to Shinji. He's an unbelievably amped-up Cosmic Plaything, to the point where it's just not realistic.

Not to mention every other character had a pile of neuroses and twenty thousand tons of emotional baggage, it was just numbing. There was no "control" character in NGE TV to compare the fucked-up-ness to. Everyone had skeletons in the closet. Everyone had some deep, dark past.

The Rebuild films changed this. Shinji's angst is pared back to a much more believable level. Asuka is five hundred times less annoying and much more badass in general. The new character, Mari Illustrious Makinami, is a Crazy Awesome Blood Knight, as well as trying to unseat Misato as the resident Miss Fanservice.

The movies are just... better so far.

What I ought to do, especially once all 4 movies are out, is watch the TV series, then the movies, and really try to nail this down.