View Single Post
Old 2011-08-13, 15:56   Link #98
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Yes you can. We gave McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt the ability to do it, as well as Wilson, FDR and even Nixon a little (though Nixon helped put other CEOs in charge). Hell, Americans have given this ability to all their chosen Presidents, but few have ever really used this ability to the fullest. We don't have to be like the citizens that allowed buffoons like Hoover or Bush Jr. to become President (or if you prefer, Obama). The country can be changed and that can change can be done by voting.

If you feel helpless, and you think your vote is worthless, then find others that feel the same way and band together. One voice in a crowd can be ignored, but a mass of voices will be heard...even if, in the end, they end up betraying their own cause (I lament the Tea Party movement, which was founded on some decent ideals, that were quickly subsumed by corporate overlords; but if you could simply learn from that lesson, then you would have a chance to become as vocal and powerful as they are without being artificially enhanced by corporations).
You make a good point there. I've actually toyed with the idea of starting a blog and writing political essays on various subjects, and several people I know have been kicking around the idea of starting a new political party.

I kind of laughed it off at first because, well, you have no money, nobody cares about your little party. Look at the Pirate Party, formed by broke people on the Internet. Nobody cares. Nobody gives a shit. No politician takes them seriously here.

A lot of voices does make for good momentum I agree, but without millions of dollars backing the voices up, it doesn't seem to work.

I haven't completely given up. I still vote on local elections and propositions. I still write my congresspeople when I feel strongly about something. Just recently I sent a scathing letter to my congresspeople about the AT&T / T-Mobile merger. It didn't do any good--the merger will go through, nobody can match AT&T's lobbying power.

This is what I mean. Anyone will get discouraged, if you fail 100% of the time.