View Single Post
Old 2011-06-27, 20:24   Link #14456
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
On the flip-side, I don't trust the Government's ability to run a Lemon-Aid stand, let alone 90% of the things it's involved with. The larger the Government, the less freedoms we have. I say that about both the Right and the Left. Each wants bigger government in their own way.
I agree that a big, inefficient, wasteful structure doesn't get shit done, absolutely. However, I view the situation like this: you have a bear (the public sector/government) and another bear (the private sector/corporate). You should keep these bears the same size, so they can tussle and fight but never prevail one over the other.

Make the government bear too small and the corporate bear eats it. Make the government bear too big and it eats the corporate bear. The problem right now is the corporate bear and the government bear decided to join forces to eat the other animals, and that can't be stopped by shrinking or enlarging the bears. It can only be stopped by changing the rules of the game.

Power vacuums are naturally filled, which is why I can't buy the "diminution of government" that libertarians champion. Make the government too weak, something worse will inevitably fill the void.