View Single Post
Old 2012-05-07, 01:33   Link #123
matapat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Even if the character's narration didn't carry over, ufotable have done what they can with the medium and have often managed to convey the character's internal strife and development through clever and effective visual keys. Which, granted, may have been overlooked by some, as well as forgotten by others as a result of the seasonal break between the two halves of the series, but the development is still there. Subtle character development is a fine art, as well as one not often seen in anime, and I would say Kiritsugu has been a very good example of it. Now, that's not to say this episode didn't help deepen his character, but it certainly wasn't necessary to "make" him.
Yeah, I agree the subtle nuances from the first season did a lot as well, but something more direct like this is nice too. All the screen time other characters get sometimes makes you forget Kiritsugu is supposed to be the main character, which until this episode was sometimes lost due to the lack of narration, even though I prefer it this way.
matapat is offline   Reply With Quote