Old 2013-04-18, 16:47   Link #162
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
*words about Bayonetta*
Yeah, and I get it--Bayonetta was intended to be a female power fantasy. But it's a generalized one--just as much as the "wall o' muscle" male character in action games tends to be the generalized male power fantasy.

I don't like either of these fantasies, neither one appeals to me on any level outside of parody. I've never been a big fan of over-the-top, overpowered superheroic characters. I prefer the everywoman (or everyman, I'm not sexist in the other direction) that's thrust into an impossible situation and/or granted impossible powers and capabilities. They resonate more strongly with me.

Also, more "ordinary" female characters resonate more strongly with me personally. A goddess of sex like Bayonetta takes sexiness so far it wraps around and becomes grotesque. I'd much prefer Alyx Vance, Lightning, Liara T'Soni, Jade, Aya Brea (especially in PE2), Yunica Tovah, Estelle Bright and Heather Morris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm confused at the wanting for strong girls to be completely without an 'girly' side.

That spells insecure to me.
Not speaking for other women, but I don't want this at all. In fact, this is a strong reason why I love the "Badass Adorable" female characters. I think it's entirely possible to wear a skirt and look cute and still kick prodigious amounts of ass.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2013-04-18 at 16:58.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote