Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 15:38   Link #508
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Actually, that was Windows 8's only real failing--though I am a bit annoyed they took out Aero Glass. I quite like it, especially with UXStyleCore so I can tweak the hell out of it.

When installed on a device without a touchscreen (and the OS can detect this quite easily) Windows 8 should default to the desktop mode and it should also replace the horizontally-oriented (better for touch input) Start Page with the vertically-oriented (better for mouse input) Start Menu.

This would make devices like the Asus Transformer absolutely amazing. An x86 Windows tablet that docks into a keyboard and touchpad combo. Normally, when not docked to the keyboard, it would display the touch-friendly Metro UI, but when docked, it would automatically revert to the classic Desktop UI and give you a mouse cursor.

I'd pay good money for a device like that. It'd fill both my laptop (content creating) and tablet (content consuming) needs. I could dock it to the keyboard to type up papers, write code, compile programs, draft lab reports for school--and then un-dock it to surf the web or watch a video on the couch.