View Single Post
Old 2012-04-06, 18:31   Link #90
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Judging by the space Windows and apps end up using in generall, a 64GB wouldn't be enough, so I'm always aiming for a 120GB at least. Even with an 64GB though, my current finances are so crap, I can hardly pay for anything other than food and bills. When I had money, the SSD prices were ridiculous xP
My SSD has 58GB free, so yeah, Windows is such a storage hog that you'd need at least an 80GB SSD to have a bit of breathing room. Ubuntu and other Linux distros don't shit all over your drive quite so bad... compare Windows 7 x64 at 21GB just for the OS vs. Linux Mint 11 Katya x64 at 6GB for the OS only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I guess I should look up the current "effective lifespan" of an SSD used as a system disk.... that was my concern after the prices started dropping.

And wow, I haven't seen a npal post in ages.... edit: ah I see... just no thread use overlap. I haven't even taken a look at ME3 yet.
Let's see... my Intel 320 (310 is the mSATA form factor, mine is the 2.5") is rated by Intel as 12 million hours MTBF, which is probably exaggerated, but considering the NAND die size (25nm) it should have a total of ~3000 write cycles per NAND cell.

I remember Anandtech testing 25nm SSDs at one point and discovering that at a constant rate of extremely high I/O loads (the kind of shit a database server would do, not a home workstation) the drives would last around 4-5 years assuming no manufacturing defects or controller death.