AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2020-09-23, 15:42   Link #1
Kerspunkle

Anime Recs for kids 2020

I’m looking for anime for a kid in the tween years (suggestions of anime aimed at a younger audience is fine since this is a difficult ask). The suggested anime needs to have no sexual, violent, or supernatural/scary content (ghosts/spirits, vampires, zombies etc.). I’m hoping for something with pretty art. Also, I need to be able to buy it. I would prefer to find something with a dubbed version, but I may have to end up resorting to subbed.

Anyone know of any? This might be impossible, but I might as well ask. No trolls, please. I have probably already heard of the suggested anime and/or watched it, and if I haven’t, I will be previewing it first. I would not be happy to spend my money on something I end up throwing in the garbage.

The most difficult part of the question is that the suggested anime cannot be one of the following titles:

Ah! My Goddess! series (Oh! My Goddess!)
Akazukin Chacha
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
Aria the Animation (etc.)
Ashita no Nadja
Azumanga Daioh
Bananya
Barakamon
Bleach
Boruto
Cardcaptor Sakura
Chi’s Sweet Home
Clamp School Detectives
Detective Conan (Case Closed)
Dennou Coil
Doreamon
Digi Charat
Digimon
Dragon Ball series
Gentleman’s Alliance Cross
Fairy Musketeers
Fairy Tail
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Flying Witch
From Up on Poppy Hill
Fruits Basket
Hamtaro
Hikaru no Go
Howl’s Moving Castle
Jewelpet
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Little Witch Academia
Magical Do Rei Mi
My Neighbor Totoro
Naruto
Natsume Yuujinchou
Nichijou
Kamichama Karin
Kaleido Star
Kamichu
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances)
Kobato
Lilpri
Love Chunnibyou and other Delusions
Lovely Complex
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magical DoReMi
One Piece
Ouran High School Host Club
Pita-Ten
Pokemon
Ponyo
Pretty Cure
Princess Mononoke
Princess Nine
Princess Tutu
Sailor Moon
Sgt. Frog
Shugo Chara!
Shrine of the Morning Mist
Someday’s Dreamers
Spirited Away
Summer Wars
Seirei no Moribito
The Legend of Arietty
Tantei Team KZ
Tegami Bacchi (Letter Bee)
The Cat Returns
Tokyo Mew Mew
Tweeny Witches
Wedding Peach
Wolf Children
When Marnie Was There
Whisper of the Heart
Yumeiro Patissiere
Yu-Gi-Oh! Series

I probably missed some titles and some of these I kind of regret even putting up here but figured I better as they get recommended time and time again. Any help is appreciated!
Kerspunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 17:13   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Your list is so long and contains most everything I can think of. Even shows like Someday's Dreamers and Dennou Coil.

I'm going to suggest Somali and the Forest Spirit, but you need to decide whether it violates your rule against "supernatural/scary content." Society is upside-down in this world where monsters are in charge, and most humans have been hunted to extinction. It's on Crunchyroll and has a dub. I assume it will be available for purchase at some point.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/somali-a...d-child-793752

I put this on my list when I read a tweet from French anime illustrator Thomas Romain about its beautiful backgrounds. Definitely worth it, but could be a bit scary at times.

Next I'll suggest Noein. It has a cast of twelve-year-olds, but a perhaps too complex plot about "parallel universes" based on the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum theory. Still you can put all that aside and enjoy the show. Here's the first episode:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I hate the dub for this show with a passion.

The other one is more problematic, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko or "Girls' Last Tour." It might be a bit heady for a middle-schooler, but the girls are plucky and the devastated world is sadly beautiful. There's a dubbed BD for this show, and the dub is streamed at VRV. Amazon Prime only has the subbed version.

I'm tempted to suggest March Comes in Like a Lion, but all the stuff about shougi might put your potential audience off. Otherwise it's on Crunchyroll with a dub for season one, and on Netflix with dubs for both seasons.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 18:02   Link #3
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

In the same vein as The Wolf Children and Summer Wars, there's also The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

There's also:
Hyouka
Toradora!
Mob Psycho (It's about the occult but it's entirely comedic)
Land of the Lustrous
Spice & Wolf
Time of Eve
Sound Euphonium
Snow White with the Red Hair

There's a lot more that I could recommend but I'm pretty sure they're sub only.

One of my favourites that I grew up watching as a tween was Zoids. It's a bit dated but they might like if they're into giant robot fights.

And of course, there's always the "technically-not-anime" : Avatar: The Last Airbender

Last edited by Haak; 2020-09-23 at 18:19.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 20:30   Link #4
BWTraveller
Born to ship

First thing I thought of was Rockman.EXE, known here as Megaman NT Warrior, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any copies these days. It was dubbed a long time ago but to my knowledge it's been out of print for some time. That said, it is a rather fun series aimed at kids, about a sixth-grade boy in a world where people have AI companions that browse the net and do all sorts of things, including fighting one another and viruses. At first it's about him dealing with viruses and trying to prove his skill; later seasons have him going up against one of those "judge the planet" type invaders and together with his companions has to convince it that humanity is worth it.

There's also Dragon Drive, a series about a young underachiever whose childhood friend drags him into a Pokemon-esque game where a dragon is created just for him that he then battles with against other players; in no time it turns out that the whole game was really intended to find individuals to send to a parallel world to save both that world and his.

I don't think you can buy it and it's not dubbed, but Encouragement of Climb on CR is pretty fun regardless of age. A high school freshman with a fear of heights reunites with her childhood friend who drags her back into her old love of mountain hiking (not climbing, it's all hiking).

And then there's Puzzle & Dragons X. This one is indeed available on Blu-Ray, at least the first two seasons. Don't know if Funimation is going to bring out the last season, I just downloaded it, but the first two at least are out.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 07:00   Link #5
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
One thing not on the list that might help... well, go with what broke open the moeblob genere: K-on!
Sure, they're highschool girls, but it might work. And I also seen a lack of Lucky Star... although that's probably not really a good suggestion.

I really can't give any recommendations because I don't watch them myself, but you might want to look into any of the anime that are Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. There's rarely any objectionable content in those kind of anime.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 10:26   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I see a lack of sport anime on the OP list. Let me recommend you:
Captain Tsubasa (2018)
Haikyu!!
Yowamushi Pedal
Chihayafuru
Ookiku Furikabutte
Eyeshield 21
Baby Steps
All Out!!
Diamond no Ace
Capeta
Whistle!
Hungry Heart - Wild Striker
Major
Area no Kishi

(...and more or less, all titles of Adachi Mitsuru anime adaptations of his mangasd).
Old 2020-09-24, 12:03   Link #7
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

That's the age I started to watch R rated action movies. I also wanted to watch horror movies, but this proved impossible to arrange. You might want to tell us more about the audience and their preferences. For example, boy or girl?

Here's a crapshoot (also, I have no idea if this is available in your country):

[2015] Yamadeloid
[2000] FLCL
[2006] Utawarerumono
[2005] Ichigo Mashimaro
[2005] Mushishi
[1998] Yuugi-ou (Similar and yet not similar to the later Yu-Gi-Oh series.)
[2005] Karin (the one with the reverse vampire)
[2010] Katanagatari
Old 2020-09-24, 18:17   Link #8
Kerspunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Your list is so long and contains most everything I can think of.
Yeah, that is, sadly, the problem. Kudos for reading the list, though (along with everyone else who did).

As for Somali and the Forest Spirit, Noein , and Girls' Last Tour, while I can understand them being recommended, I think I'm gonna have to add them in the supernatural/scary content and dark/disturbing category. Same with something like Mushishi. Your post definitely helped me mull it over and weigh the pros and cons of those titles though. It was good to be able to see Noein again and remember I found it too creepy when I was younger.

I'll check out March Comes in Like a Lion. It was one of those shows in my "Maybe" pile. Going through so many possible titles in my head, it was hard to remember which ones were available where, so your adding the places the anime are available was really helpful, SeijiSensei. Thanks!

Quote:
One of my favourites that I grew up watching as a tween was Zoids. It's a bit dated but they might like if they're into giant robot fights.
Ah. Zoids. Thanks for reminding me of that one. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Hyouka were definitely in my "Maybe" pile, so I'll have to look into them further. Thanks!

Quote:
First thing I thought of was Rockman.EXE, known here as Megaman NT Warrior, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any copies these days.
Thanks for reminding me of Megaman BWTraveller! It's worth checking out since I don't remember anything about it other than that I watched it when I was young. I do believe it is available but your other recs aren't (other than Puzzle & Dragons X).

Quote:
I really can't give any recommendations because I don't watch them myself, but you might want to look into any of the anime that are Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. There's rarely any objectionable content in those kind of anime.
Like you, I'm not a fan myself, but I am kind of wary of those anime because of the yuri vibes 9wary of Hibike! Euphonium because of this). Might be fine to watch together but not for kids by themselves. K-on! might be a tamer one though, so I'll check it out. Doesn't hurt to mull them over again. Thanks, Magin.

Quote:
I see a lack of sport anime on the OP list.
Sadly the lack of sports anime was for a reason; it's the lack of availability to buy that's killin' me here. It was nice to hear of Hungry Heart: Wild Striker though, and I forgot about All Out!! in my search. I definitely thought of Haikyu!!,Yowamushi Pedal, Chihayafuru, and Ookiku Furikabutte. They're a few qualms I have with them, but they're still the top of the "Maybe" pile. The only thing I can even find of Adachi Mitsuru's is Mix. Thanks Obelisk! And anyone who recommends Major in any way, shape, or form is awesome. Haha.

Quote:
That's the age I started to watch R rated action movies. I also wanted to watch horror movies, but this proved impossible to arrange. You might want to tell us more about the audience and their preferences. For example, boy or girl?
I see what you mean, but I left it vague so it wouldn't reflect bias in poster's responses (ex. "This is an anime for boy's/girl's, so I won't recommend such and such anime.") Thanks for the suggestions though! I'll check out Ichigo Mashimaro.
Old 2020-09-24, 22:55   Link #9
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Penguin Highway. I organised a one-off screening for it in 2019 in my area. Audience was half family/kids and half adult. Drew as many people as Fate/Stay Night movies did and was well received. Also known as a very hidden gem since Studio Colorido were relatively new.

About as good a movie for kids that isn't diabetic as we'll probably get for at least a decade.

Seriously, no one else suggested Penguin Highway....
Old 2020-09-25, 11:56   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll cast another vote in favor of Akagami no Shirayuki-hime ("Snow White with the Red Hair"). Nothing really scary, and the heroine is strong-willed and self-motivated. (Reminds me a bit of Shurrei in Saiunoku Monogatari at times but not quite that strong.)

One-stop shopping for this show at Funimation, too. It streams with a dub and has a link to the DVD/BD offerings.

I have a friend who is a classical musician and sometimes performs on the euphonium. He asked me whether I thought Hibike! Euphonium would be an appropriate holiday gift for his ten-year-old niece. I pointed him to episode eight, and we both agreed the yuri hinting there (though just in jest) ruled it out for the moment. Maybe at twelve.
Old 2020-09-25, 13:45   Link #11
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Gundam Build Divers and its sequel Re:Rise are what you're looking for. They're fun shows with mecha action in a safe virtual reality setting. There are lots of colorful characters which people of all ages and personalities can connect to. Plenty of good themes about teamwork, supporting others, one's love for a hobby, the importance of friendship whether online or in real life, etc.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 22:00   Link #12
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerspunkle View Post
Thanks for reminding me of Megaman BWTraveller! It's worth checking out since I don't remember anything about it other than that I watched it when I was young. I do believe it is available but your other recs aren't (other than Puzzle & Dragons X).
I looked on Amazon and Dragon Drive is available. Only used DVDs, but they are available. I only recently looked back at the series (I have it on fansub) and just recently started purchasing volumes of the manga.

I also recalled Stellvia. This series should be OK for younger audiences. It is available for purchase; only problem is that I don't know how the dub is, but the subtitles are horrendous. Like they were translated by someone who took an English as a Second Language course... and flunked... eight times... seriously made me regret throwing out my old fansubs, which were top-notch translations.

And there's also the more obscure Crush Gear series. I stumbled on it a long time ago, but haven't watched much since it's difficult to buy old kids' anime, especially if one wants a subtitled version, and the only version I've been able to find online on YouTube or anywhere else has Indonesian subtitles. Seems like an interesting series though, and the opening is very fun for those that like old school openings.
Old 2020-09-25, 23:27   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
And there's also the more obscure Crush Gear series. I stumbled on it a long time ago, but haven't watched much since it's difficult to buy old kids' anime, especially if one wants a subtitled version, and the only version I've been able to find online on YouTube or anywhere else has Indonesian subtitles. Seems like an interesting series though, and the opening is very fun for those that like old school openings.
Hell yeah! Crush Gear Turbo is pretty well known in Indonesia, and the OP song is what kids today call a "banger":
YouTube

The short version:
YouTube

Not only the OP song, the BGM is great too:
YouTube
Boy, that 3DCG fight is ahead of its time.
Old 2020-09-26, 19:14   Link #14
Kerspunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Penguin Highway. I organised a one-off screening for it in 2019 in my area. Audience was half family/kids and half adult. Drew as many people as Fate/Stay Night movies did and was well received. Also known as a very hidden gem since Studio Colorido were relatively new.
Interesting that it was well-received. I so want to be spoiled as to the mystery of why the penguins are there! Thanks for the recommendation, Last Sinner.

Quote:
I have a friend who is a classical musician and sometimes performs on the euphonium. He asked me whether I thought Hibike! Euphonium would be an appropriate holiday gift for his ten-year-old niece. I pointed him to episode eight, and we both agreed the yuri hinting there (though just in jest) ruled it out for the moment. Maybe at twelve.
Thanks for the insight on Hibike! Euphonium, SeijiSensei, especially that episode number. That's what I was leaning towards. It's also why I disregarded HaNaYaMaTa. ...And Snow White with the Red Hair gets a second vote. I had initially dropped it (not out of dislike for Shirayuki or anything like that), but it's worth another look.

Quote:
I looked on Amazon and Dragon Drive is available. Only used DVDs, but they are available.
Wow! How did I miss that?! I could have sworn I checked Amazon. I guess the lesson is don't have so many windows open while looking at so many anime titles. Thanks, BWTraveller. As for Stellvia, that sucker should already be on its way.

And Crush Gear! Talk about obscure (here anyways)! That would probably be a good one but that lack of availability is a real pain.

I think that BGM was even better than the OP. Appreciate it.
Old 2020-09-27, 10:26   Link #15
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One other item just sprung to mind: Ronin Warriors. Quick glance at Amazon shows only a subtitled version (with the Japanese name of Samurai Troopers), but the dubbed version is up on YouTube. I loved that series when I was a kid, even though I only got to see episodes on occasion; I honestly am still saddened I can't find any proper copies of my most nostalgic ones. For instance, I grew up with Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, but the only source for that now are low-quality YouTube videos (many of which were clearly taken from old videotapes that have degraded quite a bit).
Old 2020-09-27, 11:11   Link #16
grecefar

My hero academy?, Nodame Cantabile?
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 12:20   Link #17
Kerspunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
One other item just sprung to mind: Ronin Warriors. Quick glance at Amazon shows only a subtitled version (with the Japanese name of Samurai Troopers), but the dubbed version is up on YouTube. I loved that series when I was a kid, even though I only got to see episodes on occasion; I honestly am still saddened I can't find any proper copies of my most nostalgic ones. For instance, I grew up with Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, but the only source for that now are low-quality YouTube videos (many of which were clearly taken from old videotapes that have degraded quite a bit).
I might look at it after some of these other recommendations, but I really want to find something dubbed if I can. I'm searching for anime with physical copies available. That's why some of those anime I put on my list, like Ashita no Nadja. Also looking for something that isn't hundreds of dollars. Thanks for the recommendations anyway! It's still worth it to look into these titles even if they end up not working for me. For my part, all recommendations are welcome!

Thanks for the recommendations grecefar! Sadly Nodame Cantabile isn't something I can find. My Hero Academia is a title in my "maybe" pile (not all seasons though).
Old 2020-09-27, 15:50   Link #18
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Didn't even notice it wasn't up there, but I'd definitely recommend Dr. Stone. It's out on Blu-Ray with English as well as Japanese, and it's pretty darn tame. And on top of that, it's really rather educational.
Old 2020-09-28, 08:08   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerspunkle View Post
Sadly Nodame Cantabile isn't something I can find.
Nodame Cantabile is not available legally in the West. There are a couple of rips of the multilingual DVDs and BDs at nyaa. The two sequels were never dubbed.
Old 2020-09-28, 21:10   Link #20
Kerspunkle

Thanks for the rec, BWTraveller! I will definitely watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Nodame Cantabile is not available legally in the West. There are a couple of rips of the multilingual DVDs and BDs at nyaa. The two sequels were never dubbed.
Thanks, SeijiSensei. I was figuring it might not be.

But still, any recommendations always appreciated.