AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-08-17, 08:55   Link #1
ixikhalil

Question What's the difference between the FMA and FMA Brotherhood series?

I haven't watched Anime in many years, but recently I've had time to get back into it. I've seen that one of my favorite series, Fullmetal Alchemist, has done a series reboot. What I'm wondering is:

Does it present a lot of deep variations (plot-wise, character-wise or otherwise), or is it just the same series with updated art?

I found a very good resume for the FMA in the Waawia Forum : Fullmetal Alchemist (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi)
ixikhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 10:47   Link #2
ixikhalil

Ahh Thank you so much
ixikhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 14:23   Link #3
Vegard Aune

Also it should be noted that the old anime was made with the intention of diverging into its own story from day one, so even the parts that are based off the manga still contain significant differences, such as foreshadowing anime-exclusive future plot-twists (like, the character Lyra who eventually ends up being possessed by the main villain in the 2003 series? She doesn't exist in the manga and Brotherhood. In fact Dante doesn't even exist in the manga, the villain is someone else entirely), or omitting manga-hints that wouldn't happen in the anime, (like the Homunculi referring to their "Father" pretty early on and such), the timeline on some things being switched around, certain concepts working differently etc...

Basically they're two entirely separate stories that share the same starting point. A lot of fans of the manga/Brotherhood don't really like the 2003 anime series because they feel it's too big a departure from the manga's tone, but then there are also plenty of fans who were introduced to the series through the 2003 anime and end up disliking the manga for the same reasons. Personally I think they both have their pros and cons, though I overall prefer the manga/Brotherhood because of its much larger scope and generally tighter storytelling. Plus what I personally consider a much more satisfying ending, though again depending on what drew you to the old series, it is possible that you might disagree on that point.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're gonna watch Brotherhood I should warn you that the early episodes are a bit rough. Like, it feels like Bones was just rushing to get through the material they'd already covered in the old series and so the story just moves at an absolute breakneck pace up till the point where Ed and Al meet Greed. It gets a lot better once you get past that though.
Old 2016-08-19, 07:45   Link #4
Psyco Diver

Both series are good in their own right but Brotherhood comes out on top because of the cast. I suggest to watch both but not back to back, IMO watch the 2003 series first, watch a could other series next then hit up the FMA movies and then Brotherhood
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full metal alchemist, question