AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-10-30, 23:25   Link #1
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

[MMORPG]Chronicle of Elyria

Chronicles of Elyria is the first MMORPG where your character ages and dies, encouraging you to think beyond your character to their role in a larger story.

here several links to know more about this game:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rpg-with-aging

http://www.mmorpg.com/chronicles-of-elyria

I am getting goosebump after learned about this, MMORPG always bore for me but this one make me excite with aging system and skill dependency (no level), oh...also no repeatable quests.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 01:32   Link #2
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging#project_faq_171323][/url] Q: Is there a monthly subscription fee for the game?

A: No. You simply purchase the game (either now through a Kickstarter tier or after release for $50), which comes with a Spark of Life, and start playing.

Depending on your level of play, that Spark of Life will typically last you 10-14 real months (but could be shorter at higher level fame). Once you reach permadeath at the end of your lifespan, you'll need to purchase another Spark of Life (retail $30 or via a Kickstarter tier or add-on) to continue playing with another character.
It just comes across as a massive money sink

• Your 'spark of life' is your subscription
• Your 'subscription' is reduced each time you die
• How much 'subscription' you lose upon death is increased the 'better' the player you are
• Other people can 'grief' you, causing you to lose subscription faster

Conceptually, the planned game mechanics are great, but the financial model is not.
Keila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 02:54   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Considering the culture of MMO players nowadays, this would be reduced to a game that has its own small niche or a game that's dead on arrival.

One big reason why risks on death are usually minimized on MMOs is because nobody has the time to watch one's character develop, only to die (permanently in Elyria's case) eventually. Also, there are a lot of players that play games with griefing on their mind, and these players can basically kill off the population by preying on other players.

Whoever thinks that this is gonna sell anything needs to read up more.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 04:00   Link #4
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Wasn't there news like a few weeks ago about how there was so much money obtained from the kickstarter, yet the company still asked for like $3m more? I am no expert on costs of making a game, let alone an MMO, but that's pretty a pretty sketchy claim.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 08:02   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Ignoring the pay to play concept of the game, the cost comes down to development time. As long as a release time has been set (quarter/year), the expected costs can be approximately calculated. $3m is a very high claim for any kind of indie game IMO, how many employees do SoulBound Studios even occupy?

That being said, their ideas seem innovative and game-changing, bringing about a new definition to the whole MMO genre. From what I read, the sparks of life are basically your character slots, so even if one character dies, your soul reincarnates into another character (am I wrong?). Also, holding more influence is actually penalized by decreasing your death timer a lot more when compared to casual characters.

All in all, it is a good concept, but even if the company manages to finish the game, the community will make or break it, big time.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 00:45   Link #6
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
From what I read, the sparks of life are basically your character slots, so even if one character dies, your soul reincarnates into another character (am I wrong?). Also, holding more influence is actually penalized by decreasing your death timer a lot more when compared to casual characters.
The 'sparks' are your character slots and your subscription. Your 'spark' can be reincarnated as long as the subscription is valid (with subscription decreased by other factors mentioned).

It's more or less a 'subscription-based survival game' rather than an MMO.
Keila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 01:41   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, that makes it a lot more money-grubbing...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote