AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-03-29, 08:01   Link #1
Nagato
幻想郷

Windows automatic update problem

I get my windows automatic update turned off automatically. It get turned off after a few minutes every time I turned it on.
does this mean my PC get hacked?
or virus?
I have NIS 2007 installed.
Old 2007-03-29, 08:57   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No offense intended, Nagato, but are you using a legitimate, licensed copy of Windows? If not, then all bets are off with regard to windowsupdate.

A quick Google search, and visits to a couple of anti-virus sites like Kaspersky, didn't turn up any references to malware that disables updates, but Microsoft itself disables updates from computers running illicit versions of Windows.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 09:45   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Afaik only manual updates through update.microsoft.com are blocked an illegal version of Windows is detected, but automatic updates (the auto-downloading kind) should still work: it would be a disaster for other users if users of illegal versions of Windows would be forced to use unpatched versions of Windows.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 10:14   Link #4
tritoch

Actually automatic updates blocks illicit versions of Windows. My dad copied his laptop's WinXP to the desktop pc and that pc wouldn't update. Then IE7 pops up saying that your Windows version is illegal.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 10:19   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The "disaster" GHDpro mentions is precisely why Microsoft capitulated to criticism and now permit critical security updates for illegal copies. No other type of update is available as far as I know.

But, yes, I'd agree with you that it's unlikely Microsoft is disabling these people's AutoUpdate software, rather than just blocking their access to the update sites themselves. Plus I'd imagine they'd want to plaster those "your Windows is illegal" boxes on the screen rather than simply ignore them altogether.

I've certainly heard of many viruses and worms that systematically attempt to disable all the antivirus programs on the infected computer. I can certainly imagine that some of them disable AutoUpdate, but I couldn't find any references on the web to malware that does so.
Old 2007-03-29, 10:44   Link #6
Nagato
幻想郷

My windows is genuine. This has never happened before.
I downloaded the updates manually and there's no problem at all. But the automatic update is still auto-turned-off.
Ah, thank you for your help

Last edited by Nagato; 2007-03-29 at 11:01.
Nagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 14:03   Link #7
Specto
*IT Support

I have had some nasties which disabled automatic updates, firewall and turned off the security centre notifications. It also disabled the "Change the way security centre alerts me" check box somehow.

Suggest you run Adaware, spybot windows defender, and couple of antivirus tools (such as AVG Free) just in case. Even if you have antivirus software installed already you may find a different might pick up something it missed.
Specto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:16   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agree with Specto I do .... you may have a rootkit or other evil faerie overriding your win-update setting to protect itself (though that would be like shooting a flare up saying "I'm here" to me).
Adaware, Spybot, Avast AV, and such tools are your friends but read up on them to see what they're capable of.
Old 2007-03-29, 22:47   Link #9
Nagato
幻想郷

Its solved now. Norton got the culprit (I think) at the second scan (missed it at the first time). It's a virus. I think it's the culprit because the problem doesn't happen again after the virus removed. I didn't know if a virus can control another program. I thought it should be a spyware or a hacker's work.

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 2007-03-30, 02:57   Link #10
Tiberium Wolf

Just out of curiosity... what was the virus name?
Old 2007-03-30, 03:07   Link #11
Nagato
幻想郷

W32.Spybot.Worm
Old 2007-03-30, 04:05   Link #12
guess

About this OEM being no different from the retail version of Windows XP, how about buying a copy without SP2? There are older versions of XP that came before they released SP2. It could be download from Microsoft website when SP1 and 2 first same out. Can I get an older version and download it from microsoft or do I have to buy a version with sp2? I am thinking about full version of windows xp professional.
Old 2007-03-30, 07:33   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato View Post
After reading the technical details, I'd say that was a pretty nasty little beast you had there, Nagato. Seems to exploit Kazaa and mIRC as an infection method. Opens doors to upstream controllers, logs your keystrokes and sends them off to who-knows-where. If you've used a bank website, eBay, or PayPal it looks to me like you might want to consider changing your account information.

Almost the only thing it didn't seem to do was to enlist you in the global network of spam senders.
Old 2007-03-30, 08:22   Link #14
Nagato
幻想郷

Yes it was very very nasty worm indeed.
I hope it didn't perform any nasty thing here. And it's very unfortunate I forgot to feed it with at least Akiko's Jam before I get rid it off

If it's the Robbers' spy, it means they attack the empty house. I've never used this PC for Online Banking. There are only some email and forum accounts. Well, I think I don't need to change them.
Thank you for your advice.
Old 2007-03-30, 16:30   Link #15
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure
I have never paid for windows in my life, I can get all of the updates without it detecting my illegal system. I had a problem ages ago with WGA installing itself but after installing a simple winzipped removal program it has never come back.

If you really get sick of windows not updating etc, just run a different operating system.
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 18:11   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Another option to Windows Update is to use WindizUpdate. Supposedly, it was designed to allow people to perform web-based updates without using Internet Explorer. The site has you install a small plug-in, and then you work it almost exactly as you would the WIndows Update from Microsoft's website. Their server relays you such that all of the downloads come from Microsoft's servers; at the same time, you won't find such "updates" as Windows Genuine Advantage in there, because the WindizUpdate team monitors Microsoft's updates for those and doesn't allow some updates to be visible. For that reason, the site lags ~1 month behind the official updates.

I don't know what motivates the site to do what they do. I've discussed that on their message forums, and the staff reply wasn't really satisfactory to me. However, they have a great reputation on the internet, and everything seems fine; I'd just be wary of them suddenly slipping something nasty in after everyone became complacent. That's just me being paranoid, though (and if you're using Windows, you have every right to be). Regardless, I still use their site, and recommend it to anyone seeking an alternative to updating via Microsoft directly.
Old 2007-03-30, 20:26   Link #17
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Another option to Windows Update is to use WindizUpdate.
Their server relays you such that all of the downloads come from Microsoft's servers; at the same time, you won't find such "updates" as Windows Genuine Advantage in there,
That is one piece of very valuable info there. I have been using windows update from microsoft directly and it is really annoying. About this "Windows Genuine Advantage," I refuse to have that in my computer! Don't get me wrong, this windows xp is a perfect legal copy. Well, it came with the computer and I have bever bought any illegal windows whatsoever. I just don't think any company should have that much of control over how we use our computers.

Now I don't want to turn off microsoft automatic update for XP because I want to keep it up-to-date. However, since I keep refusing to download Windows Genuine Advantage, it just stays as "update is ready" forever and pop-up every time I start computer and when I am using it. I don't know what to do to delete/ignore that download of Windows Genuine Advantage and keep automatic update running at the same time. Oh, well.
Old 2007-03-30, 21:50   Link #18
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
After reading the technical details, I'd say that was a pretty nasty little beast you had there, Nagato.

Almost the only thing it didn't seem to do was to enlist you in the global network of spam senders.
That's because it's a generic detection and a generic detection writeup. There are hundreds if not nearly thousands of variants of Spybot. They all have different features enabled/disabled and there are lots of other oddities about it. That is just the collective capabilities of the entire family. However, for that to get on your system usually means you have a gaping wide hole somewhere in either a weak password or that you are missing an important patch.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 00:01   Link #19
Nagato
幻想郷

Question Can not change windows firewall setting

Guys, Now I can't change windows firewall setting (cant turn it off).
Here's the screencap:

I've tried the instruction on this page. But the problem still can't be solved
Help !!

P.S. My account is the administrator account.
Sorry if this is off topic
Old 2007-03-31, 01:02   Link #20
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I've haven't had any problems keeping WGA out of my PC (I was a little paranoid about Windows Updates because of it, but a little while ago I got over it ). I just told the automatic updater to ask me before downloading anything, unselected WGA, and voila, everything smooth and no WGA bothering me at my doorstep.

Oh, and Nagato, that sure does look strange. Personally, I've never had any trouble disabling Windows SP2's pesky firewall, anyways.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote