AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-04, 09:34   Link #1
Blue Cat
Feel the Ether

Anime on two completely different spectrums.

Phew, haven't visited this forum for a long time!

I've been out of anime for about three years so I'm not very up to date. Basically been craving something with a bit of romance, ecchi and/or comedy. Something along the lines of I"s or Ichigo 100%...

But I also need suggestions for something violent, gory and disturbing. I've really enjoyed Gantz, Elfen Lied, Perfect Blue and Ninja Scroll.
Old 2011-05-04, 15:46   Link #2
Niji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
But I also need suggestions for something violent, gory and disturbing. I've really enjoyed Gantz, Elfen Lied, Perfect Blue and Ninja Scroll.
If it can be Samurai I suggest Shigurui. Plenty violent, gory and disturbing. Blade of the Immortal might work too, though it is less disturbing.
Old 2011-05-04, 16:27   Link #3
kakakka

Violent, gory and disturbing, there's a manga named "Ichi the Killer". Also the manga, "MPD Psycho."

EDIT: haha, anime. I saw I"s and Ichigo 100% and I thought manga....
Old 2011-05-04, 21:38   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Romantic Comedy:

The World God Only Knows

B Gata H Kei

Baka to Test

Disturbing and/or violent:
Don't know this category as well so I'm probably more on the lighter side then Elfin Lied, but still some dark anime.

A sort of pilot episode came out for Mirai Nikki.

Madoka Magica

Katanagatari (A bit wordy the first few episodes)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-05-04, 22:38   Link #5
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
Ecchi/Romance

Shuffle!
Vaguely similar to Ichigo 100% as far as harems are concerned, but adds the element of a World of Gods and World of Demons into the mix. One of the girls in question has a darker side revealed later in the series.
Da Capo
Has a lot more similarities to Ichigo 100%, and a unique cast of girls ranging from neko to a robot.
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Another harem, except this one is unusual in the sense that the guy is more powerful than the group of girls pursuing him, and is labeled a Demon Lord. The setting takes place in a school of magic which trains students into their predestined careers.
Air Gear
This one is just pure ecchi combined with a sport known as Air Treks, motorized rollerskates used for races, trick rides, and combat. There still remains a theme of unrequited love as the main character leans towards another girl.

Horror/Psychological
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
At first it seems like your typical cutesy moe style harem, but the story then unfolds in the small town set as the locale as two victim of the Shrine God Oyashiro's curse are found brutally murdered, one incinerated, the other resorting to physically tearing his own throat open with his fingernails. The carnage and dark storyline begins there.

Shiki
Set in a small town surrounded by the same trees that are used for the grave markers, a dark secret lurks with a family that moved into the castle overlooking the village in the middle of the night. One by one, people are found with a strange illness, eventually dying in their own beds. But rumors are circulating that the dead aren't staying down...

Chaos;Head
Chaos;Head is a little trippy as far as the main character's concerned as he is very detached from reality, and prefers his virtual world as opposed to a real one. He's then drawn back to reality by a man on the chatroom alias Shogun, who begins showing him pictures of gruesome murders occurring through the city. Little does he know, he's dragged into a dangerous game he witnesses the crime firsthand.

School Days
School Days is good as well, starting out as a harem as the main character falls in love with a girl he sees on the train everyday on his way to school. A school friend sets him up with the girl, and then everything seems well for the time being. The plot gradually gets darker as lust, desire and hatred soon runs it's course.
Old 2011-05-05, 10:47   Link #6
Blue Cat
Feel the Ether

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Shigurui I will definitely be checking out. This was actually suggested by a friend a long time ago but I totally forgot about it. Madoka is a magical girl anime with... violence? Sounds good . I'll add The World God Only Knows, Higurashi and Shiki to my list as well!

I've seen Chaos;Head and enjoyed it a lot although I found the second half a bit convoluted, maybe it was just me? Also School Days was surprisingly great and pretty disturbing in the last couple of episodes.

MPD Psycho is one of the best manga I've ever read the I enjoyed Takashi Miike's adaption too. Would be great if it was turned into an anime someday...
Old 2011-05-05, 23:15   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys.

.. Madoka is a magical girl anime with... violence? Sounds good . ...
Just be sure to watch through the third episode. The first two try to fake you out.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread