AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-09-06, 03:48   Link #1
Aya-tan

Arrow Is it safe to store ur passwords in Mozilla Firefox

Hey,

One question i want to know is it safe to store passwords in mozilla firefox?
one of my friends says his password got leaked into some warez site(his emails, facebook acc, etc) is it possible?
Aya-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 13:00   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Usually, but the problem is that a person can see all the stored passwords without noticing. Just go to Firefox Preferences and click Security > Save Passwords and click "Show Passwords" and it will show all the passwords... This will happen if you don't set a master password.

It's better to use a third party Password manager like Roboform (on Windows) or 1Password (Mac) which you can lock with a separate password (it's not recommended using the same password for protecting all your logins)
Old 2009-09-06, 13:05   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

http://keepass.info/
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 21:52   Link #4
Aya-tan

thanks for the info
i'll use keypass
Old 2009-09-06, 22:14   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya-tan View Post
One question i want to know is it safe to store passwords in mozilla firefox?
one of my friends says his password got leaked into some warez site(his emails, facebook acc, etc) is it possible?
I think it's at least as likely that the password was lifted from some site he visited than that it was taken from Firefox. There are many websites out there with poor security designs and practices.

Another possibility is that he has inadvertently installed a keystroke logger onto his machine.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 23:46   Link #6
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Your friends shouldn't be downloading anything from illegal warez sites because some of these programs have keylogger routines attached to them which, once installed and loaded on memory, can record and transmit the victim's keystrokes to the hackers, so that they get away with stolen accounts (especially online game and banking accounts).
Old 2009-09-07, 04:45   Link #7
Aya-tan

Talking

yup he download lots of shits from warez sites
i can see a lots of craps in his Add and Remove Program
Old 2009-09-07, 05:38   Link #8
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The simplest idea is not to store your passwords anywhere. NEVER have anything to remember your password, no matter how secure it sounds because there is no such thing as a secure system. There is no harm exercising a few brain cells to remember more complex sequences.

Btw the encoding for Firefox's password remembering utility has already been reversed engineered by some 24/7-in-front-of-PC guy in a few months since they implemented it, so as I heard from some "sources".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 08:00   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
yup he download lots of shits from warez sites
i can see a lots of craps in his Add and Remove Program
If he wants to continue this behavior, then he needs to stop using Windows.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 10:16   Link #10
leoblack9
Your fagottry, I hate it!

It's either any of these reasons why you should store passwords.

• The passwords you store belong to accounts that doesn't hold anything valuable (ex. Animesuki account, for me anyway)
  • You and ONLY you are the only user of the computer. If computer is for public use, then forget about it.
  • If you have lots of passwords for anything money-related, it's best to just damn memorize it. Nothing else is as secure and trusted as your own brain.

Hmmm, I usually just keep a copy in a textfile hidden alongside my "videos" folder. Who looks for passwords in there anyway?
Old 2009-09-10, 15:38   Link #11
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I store passwords using 1Password, a password manager that works on Mac OS X with Safari, Firefox, etc. This way, I don't have to keep typing in the password since I'm the only person who uses my Macbook Pros.

Be aware that if you save passwords in the password manager and don't have it locked with a different password, anyone who have physical access can go in and load the password manager in Firefox and use the "Show all Passwords" option that will reveal all the passwords stored on the manager. Rule of thumb, always lock your computer when you are leaving your computer even for a few minutes.

Quote:
The simplest idea is not to store your passwords anywhere. NEVER have anything to remember your password, no matter how secure it sounds because there is no such thing as a secure system. There is no harm exercising a few brain cells to remember more complex sequences.

Btw the encoding for Firefox's password remembering utility has already been reversed engineered by some 24/7-in-front-of-PC guy in a few months since they implemented it, so as I heard from some "sources"
I wouldn't say I would avoid using password managers at all cost, but the Firefox password manger should be avoided at all cost and you should use a third party manager that offers encryption. Third party password managers can also protect you from phishing attacks... but if you going to use a password manager, make sure you have a strong password (with a combination of letters and numbers and no using passwords with words found in the dictionary or personal information. Remember, the longer the password, the better) and also lock the password manager when you are away from the computer or set it so it will lock automatically after minutes of inactivity so you can protect your logins... Of course, you still need to protect your computer with a Antivirus and/or Firewall unless you are not using Windows.

I advise against using password managers on a public or shared computer since more than one person may have access to your logins.