Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-12, 17:54   Link #1
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Going to another world

I've been looking for an anime in which the main character somehow ends up in another world. I don't mind how the character gets there or what the world is exactly.

He could get there via any means (magic/time travel/space travel/etc) and the other 'world' could be anything really (fantasy world/virtual reality/another planet/dimension/universe/parallel universe). I would also consider it another world if the person had lived in a city all his life and suddenly gets dumped into a jungle (providing the entire series takes place there).

I'd like some adjusting/learning to be done before the character fits in (if he ever fits in)... if he feels right at home from the start then it's probably not what I'm looking for.

Examples:

Juuni Kokuki - Main chara starts off in modern day japan and gets transported via magic to a fantasy world.
Amatsuki - Main chara starts off in modern day japan and somehow ends up in the edo period.
Zero no Tsukaima - Again, the character starts in modern day japan and ends up in a fantasy world.
Black Lagoon - I consider that this qualifies because a normal white collar worker suddenly finds himself in the company of modern day pirates, and the underworld dealings become his everyday life.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Old 2010-09-12, 18:00   Link #2
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmmm...

Magical Lyrical Nanoha: (Yuuno which is the male lead of the first season, comes from another world, along with strange artifacts named the "Jewel Seeds" meeting up with the earthling "Nanoha" and getting her to help him find them" Later on in the other seasons, there are more characters coming from other worlds.)

To Love-Ru: (An "Alien" princess ends up on Earth after running away from her royal guards that want to keep her safe, eventually the princess meets up with an earthling boy in the most ecchi way possible... ()

Ah My Goddess!: (A goddess named Belldandy meets up with your average boy named Keichii because he was the most unlucky person in the world but is a very kind individual, or something like that, only granting him "1" wish, Keichii wishes that the goddess Belldandy would stay with him. Meaning that she is stuck on Earth for a long time.)

I'm not sure Ah My Goddess is one that you are talking about, because Belldandy comes from "Heaven" meaning its not seperate from Earth : /

Do those sound like ones you might like?
Old 2010-09-12, 18:03   Link #3
EnchantingPrincess
~♥~G-Ri~♥~

There two I know so far:
Inuyasha: Main character lives in modern japan, and falls into her well which trasports her to fuedral Japan
Mar: Main character lives in modern japan and somehow enters a world know as Mar(Heaven)
Old 2010-09-12, 18:10   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Here are a few more

Kyou Kara Maou: There's three seasons and the main character gets flushed down a toilet and ends up in another world.

The Twelve Kingdoms: Youko Nakajima has always been the good girl -- she does well in school, follows every instruction to the letter, and always tries to please her parents to the best of her abilities. Youko's seemingly perfect world is shattered one day when Keiki, a mysterious man from another world, appears and tells Youko to go with him or die.
Old 2010-09-12, 18:17   Link #5
JRendell
Manga Addict

I highly recommend Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~. The specs fit, and it's a bleedin' great show.

Other I suggest are;

Arakawa Under the Bridge
Pandora Hearts
Old 2010-09-12, 18:30   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few older animes achieve this pretty well:

El Hazard: The Magnificent World - What you're looking for is basically what this anime is all about, at least in the first few episodes.

Fushigi Yuugi - Likewise.

Magic Knight Rayearth - This has the added bonus of three girls getting to know one another after they're all sent to an alien fantasy world. So the adjustment period is that much more pronounced for all three.

I highly recommend all three for being good/great animes in general, imo. However, they're particularly well-suited for what you're looking for.

Aside from these three, I second Zero no Tsukaima and MAR.
Old 2010-09-12, 18:32   Link #7
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Thanks for the swift replies.

I've already seen Ah! My Goddess! and 12 Kingdoms (I mentioned it by its japanese name: Juuni Kokuki). But the rest of the suggestions in this thread seem to fit the bill, thanks! ^^
Old 2010-09-12, 18:46   Link #8
MamoruUsagi

Fushigi Yugi Miaka gets transported to the world of a book, ancient China and has a romantic relationship with Tamahome. I recommend you read the manga, it's so much longer and better than the anime, the couple is engaged for a much longer time. The manga is so much more mature.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-09-13 at 11:34.
Old 2010-09-12, 18:54   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If you read manga I would highly recommend Arata.
Old 2010-09-13, 03:34   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommned Now and Then, Here and There, though the world is rather bleak and horrifying.
Old 2010-09-13, 04:04   Link #11
jedinat

If you read manga, I would highly recommend Kanata Kara.
Old 2010-09-13, 08:29   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The excellent Noein includes travel between "parallel dimensions." If you'll take something goofier, you might try Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. The protagonists are taken to a number of different settings in various episodes. This is a comedy, though; the various worlds are all parodies of well-known genres in popular culture.
Old 2010-09-13, 09:40   Link #13
Ginsoak

Hello.

I imagine you've already seen it, however Haibane Renmei seems right. It is a nice idea.

The virtual reality video game world in the .hack series may be what you are looking for. I can only account for .hack//Sign as I haven't seen the others.
Old 2010-09-13, 09:43   Link #14
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions! I'll be checking a good few of these out as they all sounds very good.

EDIT: Ahhh, more suggestions! Yes I have seen Haibane Renmei and found it very enjoyable... I've not seen any .hack series though, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 2010-09-13, 10:42   Link #15
Shinjite

Zipang fits your discription although it does not focus mainly on 1 character but a handfull.

A modern day Japanese warship is on his way to meet a USA fleet to train with. Underway they get cought in a storm that sents them back in time to WW2.

Hack/Sign a kid who can't leave the gaming world he entered. While others can log in and
out at anytime he is unable to logout and is stuck in the gaming world. What happends when he gets killed in that world? There are several series of these, but i have only seen hack sign. Dont expect any good fights, it is somewhat soft so if you want to watch it, you should watch it for the story.

Bleach will fit your bill. Alot of good looking fights.
A ''normale'' boy has always been able to see ghosts receives powers from a Death God.
First few episodes are located in his home town, later he goes trough a gate to another world in order to safe the person he got his powers from. Later in the serie he goes yet to another world to safe a friend.

Dragonball Z / GT also fits this.
Superpowers, good fights, story is decent but gets boring after several sagas.
Travels to other planets, other world when they die. Special time chamber with its own world.
certainly worth checking out if you like superpowers and good fights.
Old 2010-09-14, 09:21   Link #16
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll give a seconding to Inuyasha and Bleach for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
The Twelve Kingdoms: Youko Nakajima has always been the good girl -- she does well in school, follows every instruction to the letter, and always tries to please her parents to the best of her abilities. Youko's seemingly perfect world is shattered one day when Keiki, a mysterious man from another world, appears and tells Youko to go with him or die.
<_< Juuni Kokuki is The Twelve Kingdoms's Japanese title .

Also maybe Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, since it puts them into a 'different' reality like Black Lagoon did though with a disaster causing the change here.

And the .hack// series might fit their interest as well.
MAL
Closed Thread