AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 17:55   Link #1
TrueCaptain

The vintage vigeo game thread: From the VCS to the 64....

I figured I would kick off a vintage gamer thread for those who enjoy playing classic games from years gone by, this thread will cover the Atari 2600 (VCS) to the Nintendo 64 and everything in between.

I'm the proud owner of multiple classic systems, some huge hits (NES, SNES, VCS) and some not so much (Jaguar, 3DO) but I have a deep interest in video game history and I love having all these consoles at my command, even if I don't get to play them as often as I would like thanks to a job, a fiance and a wide host of other hobby's. So, what systems do you own and which ones do you love the best and hate the worst? Let's get some good conversation going here folks, jump on in and let everyone know about your love for classic gaming!
TrueCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:26   Link #2
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I have to say I noticed that classic gaming is nothing for me. Some so called timeless classics just don't do it for me anymore. I now choose not to replay my favorites, because it kind of crushes the love I had for those games.

Though a few games still fare pretty well even now. Too bad we can't go beyond the 64, since the PS2 pretty much has the most game I love(not counting PC).

FF8, FF9 - FF7 just felt bland after replaying.
Xenogears - After replaying I could finally makes sense of the story, I do feel this game is vastly overrated, because people just seem to ignore the 2nd disk was shit.
Metal Gear Solid - I'll take this one over all the later ones in a heartbeat.

Honestly I can't think of a lot more. A lot of NES/SNES games are pretty good even now, but after replaying I just didn't get same sense of satisfaction as when I first played them.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:03   Link #3
TrueCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I have to say I noticed that classic gaming is nothing for me. Some so called timeless classics just don't do it for me anymore. I now choose not to replay my favorites, because it kind of crushes the love I had for those games.

Though a few games still fare pretty well even now. Too bad we can't go beyond the 64, since the PS2 pretty much has the most game I love(not counting PC).

FF8, FF9 - FF7 just felt bland after replaying.
Xenogears - After replaying I could finally makes sense of the story, I do feel this game is vastly overrated, because people just seem to ignore the 2nd disk was shit.
Metal Gear Solid - I'll take this one over all the later ones in a heartbeat.

Honestly I can't think of a lot more. A lot of NES/SNES games are pretty good even now, but after replaying I just didn't get same sense of satisfaction as when I first played them.

Some people lose their love for the classics over time, I am one of the people who has actually fell even more in love with the vintage stuff over time than I did back when I originally played these games. The simplicity of the older games and the classic tunes that came from them will always drag me back no matter what, I do enjoy some of the games of today but it will never be the same and it really seems like no games from today's crop will have that generational playability like the old school games have. I know people today who still play Super Mario Brothers 3, but who will be playing Super Mario Galaxy in 25 years....?

Probably noone.

Anyhow, I played some Star Tropics II today for my NES, it was fun revisiting that game because it's one that I have not really played much over the course of the past 20 years since I played it when it came out in 1990/1991. Anyone ever play this game....?
TrueCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote