AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-07-15, 04:40   Link #1
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Crappy subtitles with vlc

I was looking through this forum and there were some slightly similar threads but no real solutions.

The problem is playing softsubs with vlc (got windows xp, sp2).
With vlc they are always standart white and sometimes overlay each other at long phrases. Translator notes, comments and background TV/Radio translations are not shown on top like how its supposed to be, but on the buttom like normal subs, what causes them to overlay each other again which makes everything unreadable.
When my Windows media player10/11 was still working I had no problems with it; even softsubs had nice colours and forms and everything was as its supposed to be.
This means somethings gotto be wrong with vlc.

I dont wanna recommendations like cccp classic player, but rather I want to use vlc and get this thing fixed.
Googeling for it didnt get me far, same as playing around with vlc's subtitle options and filters.
Maybe some of you guys can tell me of a way to fix this.
Old 2007-07-15, 04:53   Link #2
Cruzz
Europeon

There isn't a way to fix it. VLC's sub support sucks. You either live with it or use another player.

Mplayer is more or less the only good alternative if you refuse to install separate codecs. Google will no doubt locate it for you.
Old 2007-07-15, 05:48   Link #3
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

isn't mplayer for linux users?

what's wrong with CCCP? it doesnt use too much of the computer resources.

VLC player does not have the latest streaming sub (soft sub) support. The player's internal software has not been updated by the maker. if the video you are watching is hard encoded, it will show up fine. but if its a soft sub then it can display improperly.

if you really must use VLC player for your portable device or whatever reason, you will have to 'hard' encode the video yourself if the show you have downloaded uses softsubs. of course, in the end you would basically be downloading CCCP seperately to use those programs
Old 2007-07-15, 05:51   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...709#post864709
Maybe in a few months VLC's subtitle support will be fixed. People are apparently working on it, however despite that fact it's still considered to be a "fail" player (buggy decoders and such monstrosities).

I personally recommend the following build of mplayer for Windows: http://www.cccp-project.net/smf/index.php?topic=811.0
I've been using it for over two or three months now and it hasn't failed me a single time. Just make sure to tweak the configuration file properly so that you get the most out of the sweetness of softsubbed anime and embedded fonts. ^_^

However for the easiest solution, I'll recommend what you don't want to hear; Get CCCP!
Old 2007-07-15, 09:06   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The reason WMP displayed the subs properly is because it loads VSFilter (as installed by CCCP among others).

VLC uses it's own internal filters and codecs for everything, and as you have noticed, soft-subtitle support is worthless. No external filter or codec will make VLC display subtitles any better.

Thus, unless you learn how to program and fix VLC yourself, there is no way to fix VLC soft-subtitle support yourself. Install CCCP or wait until VLC is fixed... someday.
Old 2007-07-15, 12:43   Link #6
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I don't understand the concept of not using media player classic over vlc. It's about the same size and much more useful. There is no other way, either learn to code, the source code is available from videolan.org, learn to speak japanese or whatever language that file is in or use another player. 2 options will take a couple of months to a year, one takes 5 mins.

Mplayer is available for Windows XP etc etc as well as Linux. Media Player Classic is only available for windows. VLC is available for nearly everything.

VLC is a good failsafe, but as a primary player well its got issues
Old 2007-07-15, 13:05   Link #7
emptyeighty

MPC by itself is a _lot_ smaller than vlc. In fact even the whole CCCP package is smaller than vlc. Not that a few megs matter on today's systems.
Old 2007-07-15, 16:58   Link #8
Mephisto2k
anime4life

thank you guys for all the infos. it was very useful. In fact I already installed cccp befor starting this thread but hesitated to use it. I just somehow got used to using vlc and got tired of always using different players depending on hard or soft subs.
But as it seems vlc simply sucks with softsubs and even if someone of the vlc staff is working on it, it will probably still take its time till its fixed.

Since there is no real fix for it I guess i got to try out different players like media player classic after all.
Thanks for the help on this though.