Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-19, 08:04   Link #41
CrYsYs
殺害

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
Yeah I'd have to agree with Beck and Honey & Clover, just because of their realism and character development.
Other than NHK, those two are others I strongly suggest ^^ Beck and Honey and Clover
*points at beck avatar*
Old 2006-08-19, 09:06   Link #42
mit7059

*points at own avatar* *points to sig* *smiles*

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-19, 21:49   Link #43
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

I would suggest JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it's availabe as OAVs on DVDs.

For something unique read about the Stands.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (ジョジョの奇妙な冒険, Jojo no kimyōna bōken?, alternatively translated as JoJo's Venture) is a Japanese manga written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki. It is famous for its original art style (complete with over-the-top violence), intricate plot, and numerous Western rock music references. Every main character's name in each series can be read as JoJo. The manga, published by Shueisha in their magazine Weekly Shonen Jump, started in 1987 and went on to 2004. The latest part was initially published in Weekly Shonen Jump, but changed to Ultra Jump in 2005.

Jotaro Kujo and Star Platinum

The Stands

Main article: List of stands
The concept of "stand" (stands for "stand by me") was introduced in part 3 of the manga series. According to Joseph Joestar, it is the manifestation of an individual's innate power over the "ripple" (hamon) and represents, to an extent, the individual's psyche. In fact, Joseph once referred to it in the manga as the "ghost ripple" (quite apt, as most of them take on humanoid forms and hover around the wielders like wraiths). To people without the power of the Stand, who naturally cannot see them, the activities of the Stands are comparable to ghostly and poltergeist activity. This behavior is evidently seen in the JoJo anime, in the episode where Jotaro imprisons himself, where other prisoners and even the guards feared Jotaro.
Old 2006-08-19, 21:57   Link #44
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

R.O.D The TV and OAV. The "unique" thing about this is series is using paper as weapons and tools.

Watch the OAV first, then the TV series for the correct sequence.

R.O.D: The TV (2003) is a 26-episode TV anime series about the adventures of three paper-manipulating sisters, Michelle, Maggie and Anita, who become the bodyguards of Nenene Sumiregawa, a famous Japanese writer. The series is a sequel to the Read or Die OVA. Its official title, written precisely, is "R.(period)O.(period)D the TV." This is likely a catch-all acronym referring to the inclusion of characters from both the Read or Die manga and OVA (e.g., Nenene) and the Read or Dream manga, which revolves solely around the Paper Sisters.

R.O.D (also known by the expanded name Read or Die) refers to a fictional universe created by the Japanese author Hideyuki Kurata. R.O.D began as a series of novels published under Shueisha's Super Dash imprint (the first volume appeared in 2000, and volume 9 in 2004); spinoffs include a four-volume manga series, a three-episode OVA, the related manga series Read or Dream, and associated anime series R.O.D the TV. The manga series, as well as possibly the novels, have been licensed in the U.S. by Viz Communications, with the first volume having been released in March of 2006; the second volume is expected out in early April.
The premise is that the British Empire (supported by the British Library and the superpower-endowed agents of its "Special Operations Division") has remained the major world power through the 20th century and into the 21st century. The novels chart the career of agent Yomiko Readman as she fights various book-related criminal organizations; the OVA tells the story of a major incident in which clones of major historical figures threaten to wipe out civilization, the British Library being central to both the creation and the resolution of the crisis; R.O.D the TV continues the story five years later, after Britain's fall from power.
Currently both anime versions and volumes 1 through 4 of the Read or Die manga have been released in English. It is unknown at this time if the novels will also be released in English.
The OVA is licensed by Manga Entertainment and first aired in the United States on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim on Saturday, 23 October 2004. The version aired combined all three episodes of the OVA into a single movie-length TV feature, leaving out only the repeat of the opening and closing sequences between episodes. [1]

Old 2006-08-19, 22:15   Link #45
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
i always wanted to check out the ROD anime series, seen something of it
Old 2006-08-20, 23:19   Link #46
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Kino no Tabi

Beck

Furi Kuri

Haruhi

I'd consider all of these to be 'unique' series. Beware, if you enjoy them you'll have a hard time finding something to replace it!
Old 2006-08-21, 02:27   Link #47
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Yami to boushi no Ho-- (sp?)
Old 2006-08-22, 01:18   Link #48
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguenoir
Yami to boushi no Ho-- (sp?)
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito

Yeah, that one was rather unique.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-22, 01:26   Link #49
Budweineken
Crap

Noein is a fairly unique anime dealing with parallel universes, it may actually ressemble Tsubasa Chronicles in that way, but this is much more violent, and the drawing style is pretty unique too.
Old 2007-11-29, 01:15   Link #50
mamotteluvrr021003

I got one good anime for you.... well this anime i just got done watching.. it's a kind of anime you have to watch twice because it's a bit confusing and also it has weird characters and also there are only 13 episodes soo yea it's pretty short, but the story is very good....so yea the anime is called Air Tv a visual novel if you want to know more about the anime here is a link to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_(visual_novel)
Old 2007-11-29, 01:40   Link #51
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeval View Post
i always wanted to check out the ROD anime series, seen something of it
I'm almost nearing the end of ROD, and I must say, it's good. If not brilliant, at least it's above average. Besides the paper weapon, I also find the idea of terrorism and fighting and world wide domination through books a novel idea. It reminds me a lot of Jasper Fforde's Thursday series of countries fighting over books. *thumb up*
Old 2007-11-29, 02:48   Link #52
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

1. Cowboy Bebop = space cowboy? Lol
2. Serial Experimental Lain - Don't try this if you are easily influenced by anime. Its heavy.
3. Samurai Champloo = Hip hop + samurai
4. Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro Chan = killing angel , more like "WTF"
Old 2007-11-29, 03:53   Link #53
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
uh, is this guy even around anymore?
Closed Thread