AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-21, 13:30   Link #1
hutorihunzu

need help about some special animes...

hi. I am a student for Far East studies in Tel Aviv Universete and i am writing an essay about diffrent uses of Tradition and Traditional elements in Anime.
if u know of an anime series making an intersting/exceptional use in traditional elements, or u got any idea in the subject - i'll be more than happy if u'll write me to lozocher@gmail.com
thanx
Old 2007-12-21, 13:35   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Kamichu is a great place to start. Lots of Shinto elements drawn into it's plot.
Old 2007-12-21, 14:56   Link #3
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Seirei no Moribito makes heavy use of plot elements based on Japanese Lore. It's also set in ancient times, so you get a taste of the court dynamics like succession rights, first/second/third court, etc.
Old 2007-12-21, 17:45   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

IIn the thread for Seirei no Moribito people have often discussed the cultural bases of the show. As a fantasy land the New Yogo Empire can be anything and nothing at all. AS commentators saw various mixtures of symbols from Japan, China, and to the dismay of some Japanese fans Korea, and from multiple periods in those countries.

As a subject for your essay, I think Seirei would be an interesting case study. If you read the history of this show, you'll see it was the first production after Mitsubishi's investment in Geneon. The program was designed from the beginning for worldwide distribution, so including a variety of different cultural themes might broaden its appeal outside Japan.

The other show I'd recommend you watch is Mononoke. It's full of Japanese symbolism and has artwork like this. Decoding this show could easily consume your semester.

Post a link to your paper when you're done so we all can learn from you.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-12-22 at 09:35.
Old 2007-12-22, 03:48   Link #5
gh0stmice
*Artist

mononoke....rich in japanese folk lore and history....and also...its awesome to watch
Old 2007-12-22, 07:21   Link #6
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
One question about Mononoke: is it necessary to watch Ayakashi before to understand it? And why is Mononoke recommended more often than Ayakashi, is it better?

Also, about the poster's question: what about Mushishi?
Old 2007-12-22, 09:29   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Probably because Bakeneko is licensed, while Mononoke is not. If you can get a copy of Bakeneko ("Goblin Cat" in its R1 release), then yes I'd watch it before Mononoke. If you can't obtain a copy (amazingly it's out of stock at Amazon right now!), watch Mononoke anyway. They explain the basic premises of the show at the beginning.
Old 2007-12-23, 03:24   Link #8
Thingle
Banned

Shigurui makes you lose respect for the samurai.
Old 2007-12-24, 14:04   Link #9
hutorihunzu

i've seen mononoke, and ayakashi too (by the way, u can get it all in anime-eden). great series indeed. my question is if u've notice any special kind of use of tradition in anime, and by that i mean- excepet the obvious common ways of use of tradition as critisism on traditional elements or history, the distribution of japanese culture, parts of the contexct in historical anime.. and giving alot of meaning to things by symbols. (sorry for my bad english.. i dont know how to say exactly what i mean).

anyway. thanx.

and another thing, anyone knows where can i find subs for shigurui ? i have only for the 3 first chapters..

Last edited by xris; 2007-12-24 at 14:24. Reason: Please learn to use the "Edit" button instead of double posting
Old 2007-12-24, 14:23   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutorihunzu View Post
and another thing, anyone knows where can i find subs for shigurui ? i have only for the 3 first chapters..
Why not use AnimeSuki?

If you look at the Shigurui page you will see the different groups subbing it and what episodes are currently available (but please do not ask when eps 9 or beyond are going to be fansubbed because the answer will be when they are ready).
Closed Thread