Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-29, 09:02   Link #441
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Tarou, Tarou.....

you give me such mixed messages, on one hand you are such an refreshing character, innocent, kind-hearted, so very very Japanese.

But on the other hand, your naive attitude, the timidness, the stuttering and general non-confrontational personality, really really really gets to me.

arrgghhh.

Now i know what a love-hate feeling feels like.

i could strangle Tarou.

oh yeah, what type of accent are they using? i find it very very hard to understand them only, especially when that shrine girls speak to her dad, (with the tokyo mainstream accent) it becomes very obvious.

but talking about the episode, (17) wow, bioroids, organ havests, didn't know they would have souls too, but then again this is Shintoism, in that all existing things in the world has a soul.

but you play God, they have to face the consequences, i think putting the bio-lab on a holy mountain is akin to building on an American Indian cemetery.

Old 2008-03-29, 22:50   Link #442
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, harshness for Taro around here. Considering what he's been through, I think it's remarkable he's not more messed-up than he is. No, his choice of words for breaking his theory to Miyako probably weren't the best - but then, he's obviously about as inexperienced in talking to girls as it's possible to be. I tend to ascribe to the theory that he's invented the reincarnation thing as a way to rationalize his irrational feelings for a girl too young for him. And as a result of that, he's even more confused about his emotions that he was when this all started. Give the kid a break.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 08:28   Link #443
Khaos

Arrow

I'm not watching the raws, so I don't know, what happened in the eps after 17, but I have a very strong feeling that...
Spoiler for thoughts:
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 19:13   Link #444
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Thanks for the subs Shinsen. Those were some tragic episodes.

So the kidnapping 10 years ago was really...

Spoiler for ep. 18 and 19:

So in the end Makoto's dad wasn't cursed at all.

Last edited by orion; 2008-04-02 at 07:08.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 20:46   Link #445
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 19:

& god damn, the music in this episode hit me hard. I've heard some genius's pieces from this show, though nothing compares to piece used for the last two scenes.
Old 2008-04-02, 08:35   Link #446
Joachim
et tu, brute?

ghost hound... one of the most underrated series in this season, man this series is so damn good, and i think it can draw many discussion, but why people seem to ignore this anime?

constant good animation, great story telling, many philosophical aspects

i could rate this baby on top with mushi-shi
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 14:27   Link #447
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I like Taro quite a lot as well. Despite having PTSD, he seems to be one of the most grounded characters in the show. Him acting out occasionally makes sense since he DID go through a quite a number of traumas.

But in the end, I'm not quite sure what to make of the more real-life-centric aspect of the conspiracy.

I was hoping all along that they'd play up the supernatural stuff more. In that one sense, I'm disappointed with the show. Just about everything including the pacing, music, suspense are all good, but I just think they dropped the ball as far as correlating the ghosts/supernatural-phenomena is concerned. That is, of course, unless the final eps explain everything, which I doubt.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 15:12   Link #448
orion

Well they do have 3 episodes left to bring those aspects together. It prob has to do with that research. I'm loving the character interactions. Makoto's character turned out to be the best one so far.

Does anyone think that Makoto's grandma was assassinated instead because of those events 10 years ago potentially coming out and hurting the sect and others?
Old 2008-04-02, 20:47   Link #449
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
ghost hound... one of the most underrated series in this season, man this series is so damn good, and i think it can draw many discussion, but why people seem to ignore this anime?
At the end of the day, Ghost Hound is just one of those shows that isn't for everyone. A huge shame i know, i mean i rate this as one of the best shows i'm watching at the moment --- and because of recent events in the show that have made me grow closer to it, it'll be one that'll rank high up in my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I was hoping all along that they'd play up the supernatural stuff more. In that one sense, I'm disappointed with the show. Just about everything including the pacing, music, suspense are all good, but I just think they dropped the ball as far as correlating the ghosts/supernatural-phenomena is concerned. That is, of course, unless the final eps explain everything, which I doubt.
I can understand where you're getting at, though personally i'm quite fine with the recent turn of events, and less supernatural events. Yeah it's pretty strange when you look at how much the first half of the series was centered around them, and now it's basically a character development series.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:03   Link #450
orion

But wasn't that what the original source was about? I seem to remember Shirow saying that the source was about the loss of control that the characters experience as they go to maturity but the anime is about the gaining of control. So character development was prob more important than the supernatural stuff.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:21   Link #451
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did anyone else find it odd that children were being used as the "donors?" The premise seemed a bit far-fetched to me. Can childrens' organs be transplanted into adults and function effectively even though they're smaller and, perhaps, less developed? I'd imagine my liver is quite a bit larger than Miyuki's, for instance. Perhaps smaller organs like kidneys might work? Then again my ignorance about organ transplantation is on par with my ignorance about brain science. I suppose the organ recipients could be children, too, but the adult market is certainly a lot larger and a lot more lucrative.

In one sense I'm glad the show has come somewhat down to earth, but like others I'm still trying to puzzle out the links between the supernatural and the scientific in this show. Perhaps in the end we'll discover that all of the ghosts and projections are just neurological phenomena without any supernatural explanations. I just hope they spend enough time giving us these explanations; if they cover this material with the speed-of-light pacing of episode 18, my brain will definitely be frazzled.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 21:34   Link #452
Vulcannis

Quote:

constant good animation, great story telling, many philosophical aspects

i could rate this baby on top with mushi-shi
While I mostly agree, I'm going to have to take exception to "constant." In episodes 14 (IIRC), 18 and 19 the character animation was terrible. Real distracting.

Masayuki's infatuation with the scientist sure plays out amusingly. Guess it runs in the family.

I must say, I've come across the whole kidnapping-for-organs plot enough times in anime/manga/j-games to wonder if the Japanese have some kind of phobia about it.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 21:45   Link #453
orion

Well here's a story about the organ trade from 2006 and 2007 so this is topical in Japan.

Edit: And another one from 2006. International organ trading is a controversial and moral topic.

CNN even did a video report in 2006. (Not for the squeamish.)

Last edited by orion; 2008-04-02 at 22:00.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 22:43   Link #454
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
While I mostly agree, I'm going to have to take exception to "constant." In episodes 14 (IIRC), 18 and 19 the character animation was terrible. Real distracting.

Masayuki's infatuation with the scientist sure plays out amusingly. Guess it runs in the family.

I must say, I've come across the whole kidnapping-for-organs plot enough times in anime/manga/j-games to wonder if the Japanese have some kind of phobia about it.
i guess he wants what the father wants. it is kind of a displaced Oedipus complex .
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 23:19   Link #455
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
ghost hound... one of the most underrated series in this season, man this series is so damn good, and i think it can draw many discussion, but why people seem to ignore this anime?....
Maybe the comparatively slow development? Or the fact that it started last fall a couple of weeks after other shows did? I agree: it's a very good show. Makoto gets more and more interesting. Tarou is being played beautifully. And Fukuyama Jun is making Masayuki fairly riveting, as well. And the more I see of Miyako (and hear of Yajima Akiko voicing her) the better. Even the psychologist and Miyako's father are striking characters.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 00:14   Link #456
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Maybe the comparatively slow development? Or the fact that it started last fall a couple of weeks after other shows did? I agree: it's a very good show. Makoto gets more and more interesting. Tarou is being played beautifully. And Fukuyama Jun is making Masayuki fairly riveting, as well. And the more I see of Miyako (and hear of Yajima Akiko voicing her) the better. Even the psychologist and Miyako's father are striking characters.
The young VA playing Tarou hasn't had a lot of experience, as far as I can tell, but he did play Harry Potter! He brings tremendous authenticity to the role, I think - very good work.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 12:38   Link #457
ginko51

What should I as a Kino no Tabi fan expect from this?
ginko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 12:58   Link #458
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

The scenes with Taro, Makoto and his mum crying were very moving. So much emotion conveyed over without the need to over do it. Very touching *sniffle*
Old 2008-04-03, 18:40   Link #459
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endow View Post
What should I as a Kino no Tabi fan expect from this?

No relation whatsoever. Just remember that the pieces of the puzzle finally come together at around episode 19. Don't forget to watch it in a dark room with speakers turned up for maximum effect. Knowing some psychology stuff is definitely a must but the fansubs help us out a lot with explaining the theories.
Old 2008-04-03, 20:11   Link #460
ginko51

I just mentioned because the director Ryūtarō Nakamura is the same as Kino no Tabi.
ginko51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, production i.g.