AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-01-11, 01:55   Link #901
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Ok I just got a Mac Book Pro and I am wondering what are the steps to actually open the game and play it on my Mac?

I put the disk in but nothing is popping up so far, and When I click on the「うみねこのなく頃に」EP2 icon that appears on my desktop when I put the disk in it has many options, one being "autorun."

When I click on autorun it wants to open it up with a certain program that I have no clue what.

Thanks for all your help~!
You should directly download the latest onscripter version for mac. After installing it, you can just manually copy the data files from the Umineko cd to a folder in your computer. Then move to that folder, and uninstall the patch as you'd do it normally. Open your own onscripter on the patch folder (instead of using the packaged onscripter files) and that should do the trick.

I may be missing some steps since I'm not a Mac user, but that's the general gist.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 12:29   Link #902
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You should directly download the latest onscripter version for mac. After installing it, you can just manually copy the data files from the Umineko cd to a folder in your computer. Then move to that folder, and uninstall the patch as you'd do it normally. Open your own onscripter on the patch folder (instead of using the packaged onscripter files) and that should do the trick.

I may be missing some steps since I'm not a Mac user, but that's the general gist.
Thanks for the help.

I downloaded the newest Onscripter thing for a Mac from the site you gave me. Then I selected ALL of the files from the Umineko CD into a Folder I labeled, "Umineko."

Now that is where I am sadly stuck. I don't know what you mean by what I have bolded in your reply.

Sorry I am not very technical with computers especially with a whole new operating system, from a Windows to a Vista to a Macbook Pro.

Thanks again for all the help.
Oyajitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 12:41   Link #903
Proto

Well, I don't really know how to do it using the mac interface, so i will share with you the unix way to do it since it's the same both in linux(where I am) and in mac.

Once you have installed your own onscripter (not just downloaded it. It is a .dmg so it should be pretty straightforward), open a terminal and type

Code:
onscripter
This is to test that your onscripter installation is working. You should get an error similar to

Code:
can't open any of 0.txt, 00.txt, nscript.dat and nscript.___
if you get that, it means onscripter is working. Now you have to move to your umineko folder

Code:
cd 'umineko path. wherever you have it'
onscripter
This should open the original, japanese version of the game. (or complain about the font) In any case, let's now add the translation patch. Get the zip file from the witch hunt's page, and unzip it on a subfolder within your umineko installation folder. Now do

Code:
cd 'the path where the translation patch folder is'
onscripter --fullscreen
If you have any further problems don't hesitate to ask. Though another mac user would be more qualified to help, if there is one around here

Last edited by Proto; 2009-01-11 at 12:51.
Old 2009-01-11, 13:19   Link #904
alarmadadna hadi

Quote:
I assume the thing is that to unlock the ura tea party, you must use the original method used in Episode 1 (original game)
Sorry , my mistake. I should've said teaparties, as I meant that neither the first teaparty nor the tips sections appear on the title screen after finishing the game. But from this I assume it's an error just from my computer, perhaps my download missed some files or what not.

Anyway, like I said it's not a problem for me now, just to clarify, so thanks for the help.
alarmadadna hadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 13:48   Link #905
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Sorry but how do you open up a terminal and type?
Old 2009-01-11, 13:51   Link #906
Proto

http://macapper.com/2007/03/08/the-t...-introduction/
Old 2009-01-11, 15:09   Link #907
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Question

Spoiler for saving space:

Thanks, I put comments for each of the codes you put for me to use.

But if you want (I think it will be easier) pictures all I need to know is how to print screen on my computer and what program to use to edit the picture to smaller it down a bit like "paint" on Windows and Vista.
Old 2009-01-11, 15:25   Link #908
chronotrig

Wait, wait, wait, there's an easier way of getting everything to run on a Mac, but there's a few steps.

1. Make sure that all of the files are arranged just like they were on the Umineko disk.
2. Move the arc files (arc.nsa for EP3 and before; arc.nsa, arc1.nsa, and arc2.nsa for EP4) from the fullsrc folder (which is in the main Umineko folder), up one level, to the main Umineko folder.
3. Move the patch folder into the main Umineko folder.
4. Move the application Onscripter-en into the patch folder. You can just drag it in, but make sure it's the application and not the dmg. (double-click the .dmg file, and the app will be inside)
5. Just run Onscripter-en to play the game.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2009-01-11 at 16:36.
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 15:43   Link #909
Proto

Well, I guess using the native way will be faster

Just some notes for future reference

The first 'command not found' error means that the operating system can't find the program you are requesting for. Meaning it isn't installed yet.

When i used cd 'umineko path', I didn't mean it literally. It was just a fill-in that should be exchanged for the actual directory path your folder is in.

In any case, follow chronotrig instructions. You should get this working faster that way I guess.
Old 2009-01-11, 15:48   Link #910
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Wait, wait, wait, there's an easier way of getting everything to run on a Mac, but there's a few steps.

1. Make sure that all of the files are arranged just like they were on the Umineko disk.
2. Move the arc files (arc.nsa for EP3 and before; arc.nsa, arc1.nsa, and arc2.nsa for EP4) from the fullsrc folder up one level, to the main Umineko folder.
3. Move the patch folder into the main Umineko folder.
4. Move the application Onscripter-en into the patch folder. You can just drag it in, but make sure it's the application and not the dmg. (double-click the .dmg file, and the app will be inside)
5. Just run Onscripter-en to play the game.
I'm sorry guys but I'm just not getting this. Not to make myself look stupid (Even though I'm doing a pretty good job of it, heh) but could you make it even simpler to explain?
I just ain't getting some of the stuff like what is this "Fullsrc Folder", arc files and dmg.?

Sorry so much for wasting your time...
Old 2009-01-11, 16:27   Link #911
chronotrig

No problem. You say that you have all of the files in a single folder called Umineko? That is your main folder. It should have a folder in it called fullsrc. In that folder, you should see a file called 'arc.nsa'. Just move that up out of the fullsrc folder and into your main 'Umineko' folder. Then put the patch folder in your Umineko folder.

Download this special version of Onscripter-en. Double-click the dmg file to open it like a folder. Take the Onscripter-en application from that folder (the one with the icon), and move that into the patch folder.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2009-01-11 at 16:33. Reason: fixed link
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 18:21   Link #912
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
No problem. You say that you have all of the files in a single folder called Umineko? That is your main folder. It should have a folder in it called fullsrc. In that folder, you should see a file called 'arc.nsa'. Just move that up out of the fullsrc folder and into your main 'Umineko' folder. Then put the patch folder in your Umineko folder.

Download this special version of Onscripter-en. Double-click the dmg file to open it like a folder. Take the Onscripter-en application from that folder (the one with the icon), and move that into the patch folder.
Thanks to both of you for helping me.

I did all of the steps up until the bolded step(s). I tried to look it up on the web but I still don't know what a .dmg file is.

Sorry for all the trouble but you explained it perfectly for me.
Old 2009-01-11, 19:04   Link #913
Psycho13in308

Well I made picture instructions on how to go about this for you.

1. Open your folder with your extracted Umineko files and open the folder "fullscr."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...icture1-13.png

2. Open another finder window of your Umineko folder and drag the contents of "fullscr" to your main Umineko folder.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Picture2-1.png

3. Download patch for your version of the game and put the folder into the main Umineko folder.

4. Download the OS X OnScripter DMG and open it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/Picture5.png

5. The DMG will open up as sort of its own folder/drive and when it does so drag the OnScripter Application into your patch folder.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/Picture7.png

6. Open OnScripter and enjoy your game!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/Picture8.png

Last edited by Psycho13in308; 2009-01-11 at 19:06. Reason: small edit
Psycho13in308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 19:51   Link #914
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Thank you so much everyone it worked now on my Mac.

Thanks again~!
Old 2009-01-11, 20:19   Link #915
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyajitchi View Post
I tried to look it up on the web but I still don't know what a .dmg file is.
It's probably not too important anymore, but Wikipedia it usually a good source for computer-related topics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dmg
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 00:42   Link #916
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After quite some annoying delay due to the busy period, we managed to keep our deadline clean (well, too bad for a 2008 release).

Witch Hunt is proud to announce that the new patch for Umineko no Naku Koro ni is available!

The new patch completely covers Episode 3, Banquet of the Golden Witch. You can get it with the following link:
As usual, please do not overwrite the old patch if you were using it. Rather, please delete it and then install the v3.1. Worry not, the save states are not in the patch folder.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you used our previous partial patch for episode 3, there might be a high chance that you will have a glitch when you use your old save state. We strongly suggest out not to use any save state that has a weird behaviour when you are playing it. This is because you might be led to a completely different chapter and/or you can see some bugged or displaced sprite that can SPOIL you very badly!
Therefore, we strongly advice you to either start from scratch or test the safest save state you have made thus far.

Important note for Vista users: It has come to our attention that the sound fix for Onscripter deals a severe sound lag glitch for those who use Windows Vista. Therefore, we are asking you to use the previous version Onscripter we used for the partial patch. However, if you already delete it, please download this onscripter with this link.
Our apologies for this inconvenience, we will try to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Please be sure to check the NEW readme file as some specific points must be taken in account for the full use of the patch (a lot of content has been changed, and the format is itself, easier to read).
Log of the recent changes
-Episode 3 fully translated
-Correction for typos, grammar mistakes and missing lines in episode 3 (first half)
-Fix of a bug that prevented Onscripter to play sounds that were repeatedly played within a short period (i.e the stakes)
-Major changes and additional info in the readme

Please don’t hesitate to leave your feedbacks, comments, troubleshoots and so forth here!

Also, I would like to bring up again the matter concerning Ryukishi's letter: As we implied before, we will insist on the fact that we are not "official" by its literal meaning. Therefore, we are not working on 07th Expansion/Ryukishi's behalf.
We indeed received a form of recognition and encouragement, but that doesn't make this a full fledged translation for them, especially that he certainly never had read our translation to begin with.

We added that matter in the readme. We hope that there won't be any misunderstanding with this matter in the future.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-01-12 at 05:09.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 01:27   Link #917
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

FFFFFFF!! Thanks for announcing the wonderful news!! I can't wait to get home now XD
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 01:36   Link #918
BanditKing

Awesome you guys have my upmost sincere gratitude
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 01:37   Link #919
Saerianne
*cackle*

Wow! Thank you guys! You are all so awesome! =D <3 can't wait to play it!
Saerianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 01:45   Link #920
Jaymer

Nice work on the new patch, but it's running my version of Umineko4 slow.
The sound is choppy, the graphics are slowish.
I'm running Vista 32bit and 2G ram.
Help? D:

Note: I blue screened a couple days back :\

Tags
translation