AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-18, 13:47   Link #521
JediNight
キズランダム

The GGP is designed to be evil, basically. Their flag logo is a modified version of the German iron cross, meant to make us think of the nazis. And the uniform is styled similar to the kind many modern dictatorships use.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 16:02   Link #522
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Problem is, I can't see GGP as evil. Heavy handed? Yes. Evil bastards? No.
Old 2009-02-18, 16:09   Link #523
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
I'm going to have to pay more attention to the music. I haven't really been noticing it (or at least remembering it afterwards). ^_^;;
A shame really --- the score has been very good since the first episode. Some great pieces were used in episode 06, especially the one played for Rin's battle.
Old 2009-02-18, 16:35   Link #524
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
Motorcycles + ballet has reached to a new level
Old 2009-02-18, 16:49   Link #525
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Problem is, I can't see GGP as evil. Heavy handed? Yes. Evil bastards? No.
They intentionally gave a bunch of (relatively harmless) young delinquents Ridebacks and told them to cause trouble, just so they could introduce the White Rides with a bang. I'd consider that pretty bastardly.

On an unrelated note, I think someone wondered why Rin's brother didn't see the article on her in the new Rideback mag? Unless I'm misinterpreting the subs, the issue hadn't hit the stands yet... Yoda's partner said he had been editing it.
Old 2009-02-18, 17:11   Link #526
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
They intentionally gave a bunch of (relatively harmless) young delinquents Ridebacks and told them to cause trouble, just so they could introduce the White Rides with a bang. I'd consider that pretty bastardly.
That it may be. However, we are shown that life under the GGP appears to tick along just fine like you would expect for a first world country. We haven't been shown if GGP is oppressing people like third world dictators.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 17:21   Link #527
Raiga
tl;dr

Well, that may be true, but just because things are generally pretty okay doesn't mean people aren't going to be dissatisfied or rebellious. Disagreements on ideology or policy, simply a sense of nationalism... and you can see the brutality they employ to quell dissent. I guess we'll see eventually.
Old 2009-02-18, 18:00   Link #528
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Bah if only this was 24-26 episode series then I would be obvious that Rin would go up against GGP and fight along side either the rebels or whatever they are, or she would just use her own way and pwn then all the time.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 18:04   Link #529
Vito
Asshole.

Hm, seems like the manga will really be only 10 volumes...
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 19:37   Link #530
cerrian

Quote:
Well, that may be true, but just because things are generally pretty okay doesn't mean people aren't going to be dissatisfied or rebellious. Disagreements on ideology or policy, simply a sense of nationalism... and you can see the brutality they employ to quell dissent. I guess we'll see eventually.
What brutality against ideological differences are you talking about? Last I saw, it was the dissidents that bombed a building, took hostages, and employed weaponized ridebacks. In my opinion, GGP took appropriate measures for that situation. It's pretty hard to blame them for introducing the white ridebacks into the local enforcement armory.

Up until the white rider test, GGP has been a pretty neutral entity.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 20:07   Link #531
SageGaiGar
You are Next

They take a fairly standard military approach to terrorism, though the test was a bit of a douche move. Yet it is a controlled test, until Rin got involved.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 20:07   Link #532
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
I'm torrenting the SRSLY version of episode 6 right now... anyone seen the Frostii subs? How are they, in comparison?
Haven`t seen Frostii`s but SRSLY has a number of problems, some mistranslations and some lines translated in a way that the subject of the sentence is wrong. It`s watchable for certain, even if you lose a bit out on details.

Not to say that I don`t have my own issues with my own translation. I`ve got problems here and there in episode 1-3 as well.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 21:14   Link #533
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
What brutality against ideological differences are you talking about? Last I saw, it was the dissidents that bombed a building, took hostages, and employed weaponized ridebacks. In my opinion, GGP took appropriate measures for that situation. It's pretty hard to blame them for introducing the white ridebacks into the local enforcement armory.

I think you kinda mixed up my sentences there... ideological differences/nationalism were a separate subject from the whole brutality issue.

I guess I can see where you're coming from though.
Old 2009-02-18, 21:33   Link #534
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Episode 6 and the GGP plot:
Old 2009-02-18, 21:50   Link #535
guess

Yeah, it is pretty obvious that GGP planned this from the beginning. The question now is how Rin is going to get out of this with her bro. At least the reporter lady was there and took quite a lot of pics. As for if those pics could get released to media depends on GGP's control over it. Maybe Tamayo can help? Her bro is in police force. I don't like the idea of the help from the white hair guy. He looks too damgerous, as in deeply involved in destrying GGP. If Rin join them, that is going to be all trouble for her.
Old 2009-02-18, 22:01   Link #536
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Beyond taking over the world, yeah...

I'm still not too sure what exactly this was supposed to test. There was no point in the bosozoku having ridebacks (other than to give Rin something to assist her brother with) since they didn't know how to use them appropriately. I'm sure that the GGP doesn't have budget concerns, but having six motorcycles rather than the 4/2 combination used would not have made any difference in the test as it was planned. I suppose that you have to start somewhere, but why not give the ridebacks to a law-breaking group that has a _little_ more knowledge or experience and beat _them_ up. Is there nothing that falls between the bosozoku and the BMA? ^_^;

A question that the episode left me with: was the naval vessel (cruiser? destroyer?) there to keep an eye on Rin, was it part of the package for the white rideback test, or are they a regular presence around the Japanese coast?
Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 22:42   Link #537
Zelda1

Quote:
A question that the episode left me with: was the naval vessel (cruiser? destroyer?) there to keep an eye on Rin, was it part of the package for the white rideback test, or are they a regular presence around the Japanese coast?
I think it was a GGP ship just on "picket" duty. The animators probably threw it in to keep up the feeling that Japan is a country under secret siege from the GGP.
The GGP really has the same feel as the conspiracy theorist's call of New World Order, and the UN taking over all governments with black helicopters... err... white ride backs.

The test was more then just an excuse for Police Ride Back field trials, it can also be used as a casus foederis. "These hooligans/terrorists are riding roughshod over the GGP's good friends and allies the Japanese. We, as a helpful and friendly world defence force, would be happy to assist in internal security and counter-insurgency until all these undesirable elements are dealt with."

All that being said, this is shaping up to be one of my favourite political animes ever.
Zelda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 23:42   Link #538
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Yeah, it is pretty obvious that GGP planned this from the beginning. The question now is how Rin is going to get out of this with her bro. At least the reporter lady was there and took quite a lot of pics. As for if those pics could get released to media depends on GGP's control over it. Maybe Tamayo can help? Her bro is in police force. I don't like the idea of the help from the white hair guy. He looks too damgerous, as in deeply involved in destrying GGP. If Rin join them, that is going to be all trouble for her.
While all sides can be learned from, I favor this point of view myself. Both the rebels and GGP are far spectrum positions while the most moderate seems to be the local government, or in the very least they're reserving their stance for now. The locals would be my personal choice in this situation though unlike us, Rin doesn't have our omniscient perspective on the situation and is still reacting on pure gut instinct. Will be interesting how the drama plays out.

On an unrelated side note, what is the determining characteristic that gets a thread it's own forum? I don't remember Regios having a huge bulk of posts before it went solo yet Rosario 2 is up to 3.5k posts and still a single thread.
Old 2009-02-18, 23:52   Link #539
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

And we're only at ....542.

It's something to do with the posting rate.
Old 2009-02-19, 00:25   Link #540
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Beyond taking over the world, yeah...
But like I posted before, until shown otherwise life under GGP's rule seems pretty ok. There no mention of failing economy, public beatings, martial law etc etc. On the web site it said that GGP was established on 2012 in Tennessee and by 2017 whole countries joined willingly. You gotta be doing something right to manage that. Assuming the above history were not fabricated of course.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madhouse, mecha, seinen