AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-18, 13:01   Link #41
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, two things to note about people down in tornado alley.

1. Tornados are a common site, so most aren't scared.
2. The tornado is actually just over a mile away and if my judgement of his relation to that tornado is correct, he's due south of the tornado and they travel West to East. So he's plenty safe.

Now, taking myself in a situation like this, dude, I'd so be standing next to him taking pictures. Heck, I'd probubly drive within 300 feet of it and just gawk. Yes, that may sound crazy, but I'm a severe weather nut. I'd happily do all the crazy stuff those guys in the movie Twister did and do it without hesitation.

EDIT: Fixed typo. Had east and west backwards.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-06-18 at 20:09.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 13:24   Link #42
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Well, two things to note about people down in tornado alley.

1. Tornados are a common site, so most aren't scared.
2. The tornado is actually just over a mile away and if my judgement of his relation to that tornado is correct, he's due south of the tornado and they travel east to west. So he's plenty safe.

Now, taking myself in a situation like this, dude, I'd so be standing next to him taking pictures. Heck, I'd probubly drive within 300 feet of it and just gawk. Yes, that may sound crazy, but I'm a severe weather nut. I'd happily do all the crazy stuff those guys in the movie Twister did and do it without hesitation.
I suppose if I saw tornados often it wouldn't bother me that much. The last time I saw one was when one wiped out/decimated a camp ground not too far away. Tornados are rather rare around here, rather the weather that usually produces them results in violent hail storms. It's so bad the city, for the past couple years, actually pays to seed major storm fronts to lessen the damage from the hail storms.

I have some nice scars on my back from the time I got stuck outside in one without cover and ended up in the hospital for a couple days. Being bludgened by hail stones ranging from half an inch to two inches in diameter has a way of making you avoid storms and severe weather.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 13:55   Link #43
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

nice picture. do farmers usually have camera men with good cams following them around all the time?
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 14:03   Link #44
Secca
nya`
*Artist

What's the chance for a tornado to change course btw? I mean are they quite predicatable for passerby to gawk at? ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 14:43   Link #45
MikoKikyo

whaat... excuse my skepticism but what makes you so sure that picture isn't digitally manipulated?
o_O i don't think it looks real\
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 15:21   Link #46
wnkryo
HainShodan

I dunno man, I have seen alot of crazy things done in those photo editing programs.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 15:28   Link #47
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Even if it's not real, it's still a cool picture.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 16:00   Link #48
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Wow they move East to West?! I had no idea... I was on a golf course once when a tornado touched down nearby in Minnesota, and there was also a rainbow as soon at it started to rain... So I guess it's possible if the system comes in fast enough and there is enough sun left.
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 16:11   Link #49
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Thats a cool picture, and probably is not photoshopped, is not much of a paradox, since both phenomenoms are originated form a storm cloud, fortunalty around here we don't have many tornados but a lot of rainbows during the whole year
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 16:47   Link #50
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Actually, from my understanding the picture was taken by a chase team, and there's not a single chase team I know of that doesn't have good quality cameras with them. Having the farmer there was just an oddity. They were probubly chit chatting with him while photographing the storm as it went by.
Old 2004-06-18, 16:59   Link #51
MikoKikyo

heh, if it's real then it is one of those one in a million pictures What I think is really odd is how there's sunlight hitting the farmer yet there's no sun and the skies are cloudy but I guess that just means the sun is striking from the opposite angle..
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 17:24   Link #52
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
And thats the reason for a rainbow to appear, clouds + sunlight = rainbow

sorry for the typoin my previous post, is not "many" is "any"
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 17:27   Link #53
Mcdonalds

cool nice picture, someone said its not a paradox, although it could be as tornados are normally associated with destruction and a rainbow is usually something thats linked with a happy theme
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 18:03   Link #54
chopperholic
Bow down to the Chopper!

Heh tornados are common place here, almost every week there is a watch or warning out...And Lord Raiden, it depends on the Hemisphere ya live in, because they generally move in a Southwest to Northeast direction here in Oklahoma..
chopperholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 18:32   Link #55
mah_damey

yall hear of the song beautiful disaster? kinda reminds me of it
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 20:09   Link #56
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
heh, if it's real then it is one of those one in a million pictures What I think is really odd is how there's sunlight hitting the farmer yet there's no sun and the skies are cloudy but I guess that just means the sun is striking from the opposite angl
Well, if you look at the angle of the light, the sun is directly over the left shoulder of the farmer, and even the tornado reflects this, so that explains the lighting.
Quote:
Heh tornados are common place here, almost every week there is a watch or warning out...And Lord Raiden, it depends on the Hemisphere ya live in, because they generally move in a Southwest to Northeast direction here in Oklahoma..
Ya know, you're right. I said that backwards. I meant west to east, but yeah, you're right about some places being Southwest to Northeast. Here in Michigan they go whatever direction the weather is moving. I've seen them move east turn south, turn west, turn north, then go back east again all in 15 minutes. THe thing reminded me of someone running a lap around the field or something.
(ps, I'll go back and fix my typo in my previous post)
Old 2004-06-18, 20:23   Link #57
Green˛
It's bacon!

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/252...20pradox2b.jpg
58 KB
Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 22:28   Link #58
Serendipity

Send a message via ICQ to Serendipity Send a message via AIM to Serendipity Send a message via MSN to Serendipity
Excellent picture...
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 22:46   Link #59
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. Someone photoshoped it. Cool.

Oh, btw. I found the original picture. It's from this weeks MSNBC "Week in Pictures". So the photo is obviously legit.
Old 2004-06-18, 22:46   Link #60
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Whoa.... that's just too freaky. A rainbow, a twister, and a farmer under the sun?! Friggen incredible.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote