AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-03, 22:52   Link #301
meh

*Sigh* Further proof that going from reading VN/Light novel -> watching anime is never as good as it is the other way around(anime->VN/Light novel). Although for some reason this doesn't apply to manga->anime though.

So looking forward to this show, only to feel pretty meh, about it. Although I do like the non-deformed portrayals.
Old 2009-07-03, 23:55   Link #302
Jerseykid

So many characters to remember
Old 2009-07-04, 00:06   Link #303
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Was waiting for subs. -_-a

Had to watch this while opening the Tips page, they slammed the characters at you,

OP/ED got me shivering a few times.
The episode, well.. I got what I wanted. The craving to understand more. A lot more.
Good sign, in my book.

I was expecting a S1 higurashi like preview, though.

Old 2009-07-04, 00:33   Link #304
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
I'll agree that there are parents who are much worse than the Rosa you've seen so far.
Still, hitting your daughter because you're annoyed doesn't show up in any parenting books I've seen.
It's a little difficult to empathize here from looking from the outside. I know parents who have children at that age will be able to empathize with her situation. Parents who are dealing with their children 24/7 have different perspective of any situation their children are involved with. It is also possible that Rosa had been bullied at some point in her life, or she is being bullied currently, so the idea that her daughter is going through similar problem may also have contributed to this outburst of her temper. However, I do agree that Rosa could have very easily handled this situation a bit differently.

A big LOL at the parenting book reference.
Old 2009-07-04, 00:46   Link #305
IfritTower
Just furniture

My friend watched this episode without reading Umineko at all before this and he was very intrigued by it. I'll take that as a good sign! The only real thing that he didn't understand was how everyone was related. But to be fair, the anime kinda didn't mention a lot of family relations. He gave it a solid 8/10.
Old 2009-07-04, 01:02   Link #306
klare

i did not read it before, after watching this eps, i cannot make out what genre is this

at first i thought it is the serial murder in mansion/island type... now i am not sure

and the main lead does not look a likable guy
Old 2009-07-04, 01:16   Link #307
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i did not read it before, after watching this eps, i cannot make out what genre is this

at first i thought it is the serial murder in mansion/island type... now i am not sure

and the main lead does not look a likable guy
Just give it a few more episodes. Battler's character will eventually be developed as well.
Old 2009-07-04, 01:36   Link #308
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Watched the Ep 1 at last. First timer here, and so far Ep 1 gives a positive aura

Unless it skipped out lots of important contents from the novel, the EP by itself is not as rushed as people claimed. Beatrice seems to be (and is) the center of the EP, and the flow seems smoother when minor details are "temporarily" brushed aside (even if it's gonna becomes really important later).

I admit i won't remember all the characters , but i think it's better to let character initial introduction to be quick, and get focused as we process, than providing too many information as one. Problem is can't remember any character name yet except the witch and Battler because his name sound like Ushiromiya Battle xD

I believe my comments are quite neutral here(since some ppl want to hear from one), as even Umineko is a "successor" of Higurashi, a series i really like, i believe that two master pieces rarely is created by same author. The influence of Umineko popularity also do not affect me much as Suzumiya Haruhi is still the biggest hit of the season for me. Then Haruhi to me is a completely different genre so i don't really care if Umineko will "steal" any popularity
Old 2009-07-04, 01:37   Link #309
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Are we allowed to list down the familial relationships between the characters or is that a spoiler? I've actually had someone PM asking if I knew for some reason.
Old 2009-07-04, 01:42   Link #310
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well I think those are well explained in the "TIPS" thread, every spoiler there is under "spoiler" tag. However it's probably better if right now people that have never played the VN will stop at the second post. Until then however it's perfectly fine to read.

Old 2009-07-04, 01:48   Link #311
Saerianne
*cackle*

They overdid Battler's pervyness in that 1st ep. XD You'll see him develop, as Christen said. It is a horror genre.
At the Maria/Rosa conversations, its only the first episode. You'll see eventually what Rosa and Maria are both like.
Old 2009-07-04, 01:56   Link #312
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

While the OP was great, it give a sense of killer lolies all over the place xD

Whether it try to trick the audience or not, make me try to watch out every Maria's action.
Like when Battler say "My cousin Maria is pure and cute", i was like "Cute? She is probably hiding a cleaver in her bag, and go L4 on you by the end of the series" ^^

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2009-07-04 at 02:14.
Old 2009-07-04, 02:00   Link #313
hodil
Solve me...

May the underrated umineko bounce above Haruhi Suzumiya.

Beatrice bless us.

Cant wait for the next episode seriously...
Old 2009-07-04, 02:04   Link #314
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
While the OP was great, it give a sense of killer lolies all over the place xD

Whether it try to trick the audience or not, make me try to watch out every Maria's action.
Like when Battler say "My cousin Maria is pure and cute", i was like "Cute? She is probably hiding cleaver in her bag, and go L4 on you by the end of the series" ^^
I'd actually advise to not and think of this as Higurashi V2.0 because it isn't, for reasons of course I'm not allowed to state.
Old 2009-07-04, 02:12   Link #315
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'd actually advise to not and think of this as Higurashi V2.0 because it isn't, for reasons of course I'm not allowed to state.
Just a parody, parody.... =D

I means if the author don't want us to refer to Higurashi once in a while when watching Umineko, then he has not stuck the series with "....no Naku Koro Ni".
Old 2009-07-04, 02:17   Link #316
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Just a parody, parody.... =D

I means if the author don't want us to refer to Higurashi once in a while when watching Umineko, then he has not stuck the series with "....no Naku Koro Ni".
It's got 'no naku koro ni' because it's the 3rd game in the When they cry series. You probably knew that, but it's nothing like Higurashi.
Although, a certain someone did make a reference or two to the game, didn't they? Haha!
Old 2009-07-04, 02:44   Link #317
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

OK, new discussion: should they not showing Beatrice in the OP of ep 1 and let the audience wondering about the actual existence of Beatrice until it need to be revealed?

I means surely we have avatar and signature all around the forum to know that a character like her exist. But for those who have no experience at all, the only indication of her actual existence in Ep 1(other than from a "mad" old man, and a "silly" kid) come from the OP.

So her sudden appearing (as the anime expected us to think that's her) behind Maria make us wondering more of "Why she appear now? what is her motive?" rather than " Oh s***, does witches really exist? Or is it an imposter with unknown motives?"
Old 2009-07-04, 02:48   Link #318
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The OP doesn't necessarily prove that she exists or not. It only gives a What If scenario since you get a lot of references to her in the first episode as well as the protrait of what she looks like.
Old 2009-07-04, 02:50   Link #319
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I personally think they shouldn't have shown that shape, but mind this: it doesn't mean that what you saw there is Beatrice, even people who played all the 4 VN cannot answer that question.

Old 2009-07-04, 02:55   Link #320
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I personally think they shouldn't have shown that shape, but mind this: it doesn't mean that what you saw there is Beatrice, even people who played all the 4 VN cannot answer that question.
LOL we're getting into really big spoiler territory here. Let's let everyone else speculate on this instead.
Closed Thread