Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-07-12, 00:48   Link #1681
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens View Post
Only the ones in countries with custom fees get nailed if they order direct, luckily I don't have to pay those fees.
Canada is one of those countries. My last shipment from Hobby Link Japan was $145 Canadian (11,518 yen) including SAL shipping. Upon arrival I was required to pay $20 duty to receive the package. Putting the total to $165 Canadian.

Toyslogic marks their packages for Canada as 'gifts' and as thus, I'm not required to pay duty fees on the items. If this changes, Toyslogic would no longer work out cheaper. Hobby Link Japan on the other hand, properly marks their packages to Canada. While the correct thing to do, currently works out more expensive.

That said, I continue to check currency conversion rates to see which deal works out best. There have been a few times I've noticed where HLJ was considerably lower than Toyslogic, and others where they're fairly comparable. Or where Toyslogic has something HLJ does not.

One thing I'll give EMS from Japan though (used them a few times). Portal technology. One minute the package is in Japan, the next it's on my door step, it's really that fast. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating, but they are seemingly quick. And not a terrible price for such shipping.
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 16:49   Link #1682
alamarco
Why hello there!

Definitely sucks being in Canada with customs. They used to be decent, but now started nailing me on everything.

I think it depends on the company. Major companies who have reputations to up hold can't just go and lie to customs. However smaller companies like ToysLogic, eBay users, etc don't really run any huge risks.

Depending on the company, asking to put "gift" on customs and they might go ahead and do it, even if it's not their normal procedure.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 11:36   Link #1683
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Queen's Blade has a nice Airi figure out.

Spoiler for sitting position NSFW:
Old 2009-07-17, 04:46   Link #1684
Sciel
Etoilé

Just received my Kotobukiya Octavia today bought it for about USD$75 including shipping .

The figure itself is fantastic and full of detail (i'm a biased octavia fan ^^ and i was delighted until i saw her how her earring was "tacked" on . As seen here : http://foobarweb2.sakura.ne.jp/image.../large/d02.jpg . This looked NOTHING like the prototype pictures and really pissed me off --; . It really ruined what i felt was perfect for me and brought it down a few notches .

I didn't really like Kotobukiya's releases before (Persona 3 main character pvc == and i don't think i'll be buying anymore of their figures . Its all Alter , GSC and Max factory from now on !
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 12:16   Link #1685
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Last wednesday I recieved my 40 cm doll of Kokonoe Rin, She's just better than I could expect, the latex skin do really seem like real and she's VERY detailed with... erm... ALL details xDDDDDDDDDDD

Well, this is a pic I took just after assembling all parts so... NO SUITABLE FOR MINORS xD

Spoiler for not for minors and very big pic:

The picture won't display for me, so I'll ask my question :3

Is your user icon the figure?
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 20:04   Link #1686
Kudryavka

So, I'd like some feedback on the different Japanese import figure preordering sites, Japan-based ones specifically. Is Hobby Search the best? I just saw a figure that'll come later this year, and I wanna get it. I'm afraid to preorder from the Americans. :shock:
And for those having troubles with Kitsune's Kokonoe Rin picture, here's a direct link (NSFW): http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=4277075
Kitsune, you know that when using the [img][/img] BBCode, you're supposed to link directly to the picture, not the page where the picture is?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 20:46   Link #1687
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I think Hobby Link Japan is widely considered the best. Great selection, great prices, and really fast shipping if you select EMS. I've literally gotten a shipping notification and received the item in the same day. I've heard that they'll occasionally cancel preorders but it has never happened to me and I have pre-ordered a ton of stuff from them.

No idea on other people's opinion of these but they have both been extremely reliable for me:

CD Japan http://www.cdjapan.co.jp. Their site layout is pretty ugly and sometimes they don't get figures that HLJ does, but they also get a lot of random items HLJ doesn't. They also have incentives for frequent buyers. I'm pretty impressed with their communication as well, they notify you quickly of any change to the order such as shipping cost being more than originally expected, and even wait for your permission to continue with the order in that event. Also very fast shipping.

J-List. Run by an American-born guy living in Japan who is also a fan of the otaku subculture. They have a comparatively small selection and slightly higher prices but I really love the whole East-West connection feel of the site. The news blurbs about Japanese culture from the owner's point of view are especially really interesting. They also have a ton of weird items you'd be very unlikely to find anywhere else. One warning though, the site is VERY NSFW.

I guess I kinda went outside the realm of just figures there but as I mentioned HLJ is very likely your best bet there.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 21:02   Link #1688
dfens

I mostly use Hobby Link Japan and consider them the best they been around hell nearly 10 years or more maybe even longer and always top notch service way back then. Only had 1 pre-order canceled in all my orders. But I consider Hobby Search a close 2nd place talked to a few friends who used them and they said they were pretty good.

They both have the same prices but Hobby Search is harder to navigate and order from, plus the whole payment process is a little harder. What I really didn't like is that they have japanese people who respond to all your questions and complaints in pretty bad broken english. While HLJ has american people on staff.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 07:29   Link #1689
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

For the past 8 years I've had no problems with ordering from HLJ and I've always taken SAL shipping
Questions aswered fast

the only thing you can't do with HLJ is hold released /unreleased preorders for shipping together
even when both are in the same order
Old 2009-07-18, 08:06   Link #1690
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I am not purchasing anymore figures.. not from ebay anyway.
I put a Kannagi figure on preorder last year!!!
No replies to messages. No money back. and NO FIGURE!!

I was well gutted, not about the figure mostly about the Ł70 i'll never get back.

but for now on the Konata figma does anyone know how to stop her fringe of her hair falling off?

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 10:15   Link #1691
Kudryavka

You preordered from eBay???! But anyways, if you paid with a credit card, file for fraud. Then the retailer will either cough up the figure, or we're gonna hafta go Judge Judy on their ass.
::edit:: Man, I'm just getting into the figure collecting business, and I already got a dilemma. Dunno if I should get GSC's Miku Hatsune as leftover from an American retailer, or if I should preorder Alter's Kudryavka Noumi from HLJ. If I get Miku, I'll be giving up ~$15 extra dollars (the retailer upped the price) for what I call "the latecomer's fee", and I'll be paying a lot for 1st class shipping (their cheapest option) when they're in southern California, like me (a total waste on shipping, but they don't offer instore pickups. Real Flippin' Waste.). If I get Kudryavka, I won't be throwing up any money to go straight to the retailer's pocket, and even after JPN-->NA shipping charges (will go EMS, SAL takes too long) I'll be paying a lot less than if I bought Miku.

I already posted Miku earlier in this topic, and you prolly already know what the rather popular figure looks like anyways: lots of quality for an unusually low yen price.
Here's Kud-chan:

I love both characters dearly. So far, I'm leaning towards Kud. At least that way I won't lose money.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-07-18 at 11:06.
Old 2009-07-18, 12:28   Link #1692
Sciel
Etoilé

Well you could skip on GSC's Miku and pre-order Max Factory's upcoming version. Then get pre-order Kud along with her .
Old 2009-07-18, 12:59   Link #1693
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Well you could skip on GSC's Miku and pre-order Max Factory's upcoming version. Then get pre-order Kud along with her .
Thanks for the suggestion, but I personally don't like Max Factory's Miku. She looks rather thick (I wouldnt like that in my Mikus, imo), and her face is kinda ugly. My thoughts.

I think I'll just preorder Kud and cross my fingers in hope that GSC will rerelease Miku. Even if they don't, I guess I'll get over it. Oh well, gotta make choices in life.
Old 2009-07-18, 23:02   Link #1694
Sciel
Etoilé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I personally don't like Max Factory's Miku. She looks rather thick (I wouldnt like that in my Mikus, imo), and her face is kinda ugly. My thoughts.

I think I'll just preorder Kud and cross my fingers in hope that GSC will rerelease Miku. Even if they don't, I guess I'll get over it. Oh well, gotta make choices in life.
Hehe , same reason i'm not getting Max Factory's version too . IMO her pose is pretty boring too . I'm sure GSC will reissue the Miku , it has had like 3 reissues so far and still sells like hotcakes.
Old 2009-07-19, 02:45   Link #1695
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Hehe , same reason i'm not getting Max Factory's version too . IMO her pose is pretty boring too . I'm sure GSC will reissue the Miku , it has had like 3 reissues so far and still sells like hotcakes.
Yeah, I was betting on GSC rereleasing Miku again, but only after the CM craze is over. And meanwhile, I'm waiting for K-ON stuff too...
Old 2009-07-19, 20:39   Link #1696
HandofFate

Picked up 4 figurines, been a long while I actually purchasd a couple.

Haruhi 1/4 scale

Spoiler for Figurine:

Tenna from Nanoha Strikers

Spoiler for Tenna:

Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai
Spoiler for Shiki:

Sabre from hollow/axataria
Spoiler for Sabre:

unfortunely, turns out the ribbon on the back of the Sabre figurine broke off or something, its in the box, but looks like I have to superglue it back on. Any clue as to what kind I should use so it doesn't erode? (Is a certain type of glue back for it?)

Finally just some group pictures of them all on display.

Spoiler for Group:
Old 2009-07-19, 22:36   Link #1697
Starburst
Horo♥

I really like that GSC Shiki, I just got mine recently as well.

I found her boring to take pictures of, but interesting to look at. Possibly a lack of finer details that a camera would like to catch. The dynamic pose however is nice to look at.
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 23:49   Link #1698
HandofFate

I think I'm a big fan of dynamic poses for my figurines, which is why the Sabre seems to be my least favorite of the 4 that I got.

I really like Tenna's and Shiki's pose.
Old 2009-07-19, 23:57   Link #1699
HandofFate

Anyone have any recommendations for a good Yuki Nagato figure? (Haruhi)
I have the maxfactory haruhi and mikuru, and from my previous post, I ended up getting the 1/4 Haruhi to add to my collection.

Been looking to add a Yuki one to it, but don't want any more bunny girl ones, and the maid haruhi ones don't appeal to me very much. It might be because Yuki is so short, that most of her figurines look weird to me..but anyone know of any more unique Yuki ones?
Old 2009-07-20, 00:10   Link #1700
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
but anyone know of any more unique Yuki ones?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote