AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-07-09, 14:35   Link #1
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quality translation vs quick release?

So, at this point, I have about 10 or so scripts that fall -far- below our quality standards. Other than requiring a massive translation overhaul, very little more work is needed to release them.

So, I wanted to ask an opinion - if it meant throwing our high quality standards out the window, would you rather we just release the scripts in a possibly incorrect and incomprehensible form, or would you rather wait longer until we can get -someone- to help us out and check and fix the translations?

(This doubles as a call for help, as we've been without any sort of translator for the entire year so far.)

I honestly can't release the scripts in their current condition in good conscience, but if that's what people want...

Sorry if that read overly dramatic, as I'm lacking food at the moment, too. =p
Old 2004-07-09, 14:58   Link #2
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

No way... never release anything that you know contains errors, as long as something can be done about it.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 15:07   Link #3
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
No way... never release anything that you know contains errors, as long as something can be done about it.
I second that. Especially if you are the only group subbing a show it wouldn't be wise to release the episodes prematurely since they (the people who download these episodes) will connect bad quality with HnK - which is not a good thing except for if you want that kind of image .

Just make sure you let the people know that you did not drop the series in question and why you are releasing them so slowly (what you are doing with creating that thread) so that they don't nag you etc.

Good luck finding a translator to check your scripts.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 15:57   Link #4
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

My opinion is that quality should ALWAYS be more important than quantity. Take as long as you need to fix up your releases, there's no rush at all.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 21:25   Link #5
Lucier
Lunar Translator

I can say that I'll never put speed ahead of quality... Some may value their popularity and ego... but in the end, that doesn't mean much...
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 22:29   Link #6
GipFace

Riiiiight.

I find that statement very ironic coming from Lunar *cough* Ai Baby *cough* ~_~;;
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 22:54   Link #7
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I hope you're not refering to Dr. Rin ep 4, STC, because the script is in good shape
Eps 5+ would be too if we ever got through ep 4 >_<

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 00:16   Link #8
Kyusaku
伝説なアンデッド

Send a message via AIM to Kyusaku
I doubt any speed sub fans would post here and admit their foolishness to care about speed rather than quality. I personally prefer quality over speed, and you can look everywhere on this board and you will not have a single post from me promoting speed subbing.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 00:49   Link #9
Fronzel
Schmuck

Hey Ho Quality!
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 01:16   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
I hope you're not refering to Dr. Rin ep 4, STC, because the script is in good shape
Eps 5+ would be too if we ever got through ep 4 >_<

-Tofu
WoW, Dr. Rin! That's good news!

Actually I think that StarCreator is talking about Gakkou no Kaidan.

I vote that you should try to get a new translator before you even think of letting those episodes out the door.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 02:19   Link #11
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
I find that statement very ironic coming from Lunar *cough* Ai Baby *cough* ~_~;;
If you have found some errors in my Aishiteru ze baby translations, I'd like to hear exactly what they are...

I do my best, and check my scripts over twice, but I by no means claim total perfection...

Flaming me w/o telling me what the error is doesn't help much...
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 04:32   Link #12
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:

This was very rude. I hope a mod here takes this into account.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 04:33   Link #13
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
If you have found some errors in my Aishiteru ze baby translations, I'd like to hear exactly what they are...

I do my best, and check my scripts over twice, but I by no means claim total perfection...

It sounds like he just wanted to start something. Ignore him. I for one love the work Lunar does.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 05:43   Link #14
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier

Don't worry, this happens a lot. A person/group gets flamed by a person saying that they suck, when they don't ever tell you the "error". Or as is the case with many ppl saying a group's translations suck when they dunno ANY Japanese whatsoever..
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 07:12   Link #15
kuru

One thing is being a speed subber, someone that hurries things just because he wants to be the first to release something (usually a new episode of Naruto, but there's other possibilities too).

Another completely different thing seems to be the situation Hikari no Kiseki is right now. They're not in a hurry to be the first to release something, but months have passed and they don't find someone to help to a final check in their scripts to try to warrant some kind of very high translation quality.

I say that if you don't find that someone to help after some time, go ahead and release the fansubs with the scripts in the condition they're now. I'd rather have a not-so-perfect Comet-san fansub that no Comet-san fansub! And I don't see anyone thinking about doing Comet-san in your place, after all.

And based on the fact that Tofusensei says the script for the next episode of Ask Dr. Rin is just fine, I don't think that your scripts must be in a really poor condition.

In short: give it one or two additional weeks to see if someone wants to help and check the translations. If doesn't appear, work with what you have. A not perfect fansub is better than no fansub. In the meanwhile, release Ask Dr. Rin 4. It Tofusensei says the script is fine, I trust him and you should trust him too. I've been wanting to see more Dr. Rin for quite some time and I'll be thankful.

I
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 08:22   Link #16
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
And based on the fact that Tofusensei says the script for the next episode of Ask Dr. Rin is just fine, I don't think that your scripts must be in a really poor condition.

In short: give it one or two additional weeks to see if someone wants to help and check the translations. If doesn't appear, work with what you have. A not perfect fansub is better than no fansub. In the meanwhile, release Ask Dr. Rin 4. It Tofusensei says the script is fine, I trust him and you should trust him too. I've been wanting to see more Dr. Rin for quite some time and I'll be thankful.

I
Well I can only vouch for Dr. Rin because I personally went and retranslated that ep (and I am prepared to fix the eps 5+ scripts as soon as get throgh ep 4, no sense doing it now when it's just gonna sit for 4 months...)

As far as other shows I have not seen their scripts so I dunno!

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 10:31   Link #17
GipFace

Chart of doom.

Difference between air date and available fansub from Lunar:

1. Apr 3 +7
2. Apr 10 +1
3. Apr 17 +1
4. Apr 24 +2
Week off
5. May 8 +3
6. May 15 +6
7. May 22 +9
8. May 29 +2
9. Jun 5 +1
10. Jun 12 +1
11. Jun 19 +1
12. Jun 26 +1
13. Jul 3 +0

Don't worry, this happens a lot. A person/group gets flamed by a person saying that they suck, when they don't ever tell you the "error". Or as is the case with many ppl saying a group's translations suck
and

Hm ... does reading the dates off Animesuki and honestly assuming that they're simply trying to beat out two crazed fanboys in a.f.k. (You can see that they go on a tear from episode 8) mean that I'm flaming the group? Nope. There's a difference between looking at stats and flaming. I'm just pointing out that they're putting out episodes in less than 48 hours which is what those Naruto groups do too. I don't think Lucier can really say that speed isn't a factor in his group with a straight face, and if he does, then speed is right up there in terms of subjective "quality" if not higher, grabbing the first available raw possible and possibly making the crew work into the middle of the night trying to get the first fansub out.

Otherwise, the only other theory is that there wasn't a week off and that both groups slowed down.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 11:06   Link #18
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
I don't think Lucier can really say that speed isn't a factor in his group with a straight face, and if he does, then speed is right up there in terms of subjective "quality" if not higher, grabbing the first available raw possible and possibly making the crew work into the middle of the night trying to get the first fansub out.
I'm not speaking for Lucier but I think what he meant is: If he had to choose between quality and speed he would go for quality first. If he can produce quality in 48h, so be it. If that means that the crew works into the night willingly without sacrificing quality, he's not contradicting himself.

Note: I don't have any Lunar AB episode on my disk anymore so I cannot speak about raw and translation quality but that's not needed anyway until you point out flaws in the raw or the translation (like Lucier demanded before anyway)

The way I see it, you seem to be sad/angered about Lunar prefering AB over other of their projects; nothing more.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 11:20   Link #19
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
I once saw a fansub of one of my favorite series which was released the first out of all the subs of that episode from various groups. It was full of typos (though I can't speak for the accuracy of the translation). I soon deleted it and downloaded another group's sub when it was released. So I say, even if it takes you longer, go for as high of quality as you can.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 12:12   Link #20
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I'm not speaking for Lucier but I think what he meant is: If he had to choose between quality and speed he would go for quality first. If he can produce quality in 48h, so be it. If that means that the crew works into the night willingly without sacrificing quality, he's not contradicting himself.
If you give yourself a really short deadline and then strive to get the best quality out given the deadline, you're still giving speed higher priority than quality, because your quality will be limited in part by the speed. Basically, your main goal is your speed, and if possible get the quality as high as possible without sacrificing speed. If you say, "I want X quality and I don't care however long it takes," then you're actually aiming for a certain quality and if you finish faster, so be it.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote