AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-09-24, 10:42   Link #1
jtrog

linkchecker trojan using greasemonkey

A new warning has been popping up on my Kaspersky AV about a Trojan-Downloader.JS.Agent.cme thats connected to 'xkanner' site. Not putting link or site address in thats the first part. The 'xkanner' is in the set of sites Microsoft is currently suing to shut down for running malicious program installers. It uses the same dsn. loader places. Turning off linkchecker might save you all a bunch of trojan infections.
This did not happen prior to today, nothing has changed on my system which probably means 'those people' have found away to install their malware using greasemonkey in firefox.

News story about the malware site
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32916067...ence-security/
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 10:51   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I got the "malvertisement" that the NY Times distributed a couple of Sundays ago. It used Javascript to redirect the browser to a site that displayed an image that looked like your computer was being scanned for viruses. It was quite well designed and looked identical to a Windows Explorer window. Of course, it found dozens of infected DLL files on my Linux box!

The Times reported later that they had been approached by an apparently legitimate advertiser who purchased availabilities on the site and distributed legitimate advertising for about a week. Over the following weekend the ads were replaced by these hijacking scripts.

I've written on the Times own forums and elsewhere that I don't see any justification for advertising that contains scripting. I see it as a responsibility of sites like the Times to push all their third-party content through filters and remove anything that includes a script.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-09-24 at 17:15. Reason: grammar
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 16:17   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Those programs are nasty, I downloaded Comodo after reformatting and apparently the firewall wasn't all that got downloaded. A big red encircled "!" would pop in my taskbar to warn me about viruses and registration mistakes and if you pressed it you got directed to a product site that would scan for malware etc. and find tons of mistakes (after a reformat.. yeh right)
I simply got rid of both Comodo and that malware warning and got Zonealarm after that.. I donno I simply raged.. I rage, I win =P /Zonealarm get

Those adds are almost everywhere, I hate it when you click a next page link and whamo you get redirected to some "buy me cause according to us your pc is in danger!" site that you can only stop by closing the browser >.< I'm glad Microsoft is doing something about it, was about time
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 19:19   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Malware is a pain in the butt to clean up and most of the time, it's so bad that you need to reformat. A suggestion to this is to use OpenDNS and create a account and use it's filtering feature to block adware and malware. Also, create a image after you installed your software on your computer of your HD and store all your documents, music, etc on a separate partition or use Deepfreeze which prevents any type of malware from installing (but you still need to thaw out the drive to do software updates.)

Also, suggest using the noscript extension in Firefox to prevent automatic malware installation, but you may need to enable a site to allow scripts to run.