AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-08-01, 18:40   Link #61
gothlink666
lord of the dragon

i did an e mail 3 shonen jumps ago about it i took them to task about the spelling of gaara they spelled it gara it looks like they have changed it in the new copy so im happy but the called byakugan ,the evil eye. so im back to the e mails also they spell gai guy
gothlink666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 18:47   Link #62
Kouji
StrykerX

Well, Gai and Guy. Their no different. Because the japanese ai (would be sound like the "I" letter in the english version ).

Like Gai, would be guy in the U.S counterpart.
Old 2004-08-01, 18:52   Link #63
gothlink666
lord of the dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
Well, Gai and Guy. Their no different. Because the japanese ai (would be sound like the "I" letter in the english version ).

Like Gai, would be guy in the U.S counterpart.
it is a manga not a comic book they should keep the spelling they do with other manga and shows
for god sake funamation keepd the spelling(half the time)
gothlink666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 19:04   Link #64
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothlink666
it is a manga not a comic book they should keep the spelling they do with other manga and shows
I hate quoting myself but really, try reading the whole thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
6.2 Gai as Guy... the name is マイト・ガイ , what's quite obviously an Engrish pronounciation of "Might Guy." Plus not everybody knows not to pronounce "Gai" as "Gay."
Also, for your information, "Manga" is just the Japanese word for "Comic (Book)."
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 19:18   Link #65
Kouji
StrykerX

Well, anyways. From it seems, it seems like Naruto's going to pass Otakon. And I wouldn't know any major convention, other than Otakon this year. Because mostly towards the end of the year are just merely minor conventions which have a lower chance of getting great titles like these into the U.S.

But, who knows. Maybe that after this convention's done Naruto might actually get to show up on the ANN news with its U.S licensor in all.
Old 2004-08-01, 20:00   Link #66
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothlink666
Please read my sig, thanks.

Quote:
Well, anyways. From it seems, it seems like Naruto's going to pass Otakon. And I wouldn't know any major convention, other than Otakon this year. Because mostly towards the end of the year are just merely minor conventions which have a lower chance of getting great titles like these into the U.S.

But, who knows. Maybe that after this convention's done Naruto might actually get to show up on the ANN news with its U.S licensor in all.
The only thing I can think of Naruto lack of licensing is either its large amount of money they're asking, or the fact that its too Japanese to be put on as a Saturday morning TV show. I can see it on Adult Swim though.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 20:32   Link #67
Kouji
StrykerX

True. I could see the same acting from Wolf's Rain also do this anime as well. Assuming that Bandai, Geneon or VIZ will pick up this title.

And technically I don't see 4Kids picking up this title. Because there's technically too much violence for the "underaged".
Old 2004-08-01, 20:37   Link #68
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
True. I could see the same acting from Wolf's Rain also do this anime as well. Assuming that Bandai, Geneon or VIZ will pick up this title.

And technically I don't see 4Kids picking up this title. Because there's technically too much violence for the "underaged".
Unfortunately, that's where the edits come in. 4Kids is certainly capable of mangling Naruto down to the level of Dragon Ball on broadcast TV. Case in point: Knights of the Zoidiac(I shudder at the thought of the one episode I caught on CN a few months ago...)
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 23:41   Link #69
Kouji
StrykerX

lol. I'd rather read the Saint Seiya GN by Shonen Jump or just get the original version by ADV Films.

Same with Naruto, if 4Kids got it. I would just resort to reading the book only.
Old 2004-08-02, 01:54   Link #70
Khar
Shin-Otaku Editor

Send a message via AIM to Khar
Actually, if I remember right, even in the Japanese anime guide thingy I bought a couple months ago, when it has character profiles and the names in English (none of the other text though) they did spell Gai as "Guy". It kind of surprised me.

And yes... I can't say I'm too thrilled with the job Viz is doing on Naruto, which is kind of a dissappointment because so far, they seem to be doing a pretty fair job with Kenshin. I mean, sure, it could be worse, but it could be so improved as well.

Admittedly, it's a goal of mine to get some kind of job at Viz (or TokyoPop or an anime liscensing company) in the editorial department, once I graduate from college (I live really close to where they are, and in fact have applied for an internship there, although I didn't get it -_- (but I'm not giving up yet!)). I figure one way to assure that the US anime/manga industry starts doing a better job with translating and editing (editing in particular, given my experience) is to get in there myself and try to change things bit by bit. I know I can teach them a thing or two. *evil cackle*
Khar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 01:15   Link #71
iminyourbrain
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobineko
Actually I think that Viz's translation really suck, compared to the other manga they do. They could do a lot better with naruto translations. I don't know if anyone's seen the recent release in Shonen Jump, but when I read that I was really dissapointed... so now the Hyuuga are evil or something? Byakuga becomes "Evil Eye" ..now what kind of junk is that.....and Ino's shiten no jutsu becomes "art of the valentine"? ... yeah i can really imagine her dad using a jutsu nammed art of the valentine..and that sounds very lame for a ninja tech. and Kurasu is called 'scarecrow' I could go on... target audience or not, a lot of how they translated is bad, I seriously hope when Naruto anime gets liscened they don't use Viz's translations.
don't mess with the yellow boat !!!!!
iminyourbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 19:34   Link #72
yaoi_witchchan
GO Pr0n!!!!

Send a message via AIM to yaoi_witchchan
With what I'm seeing here, if any of you know Japanese, or have a friend who can read Japense, and want to read the Naruto manga, I suggest you go to a Japanese bookstore (Usually in Japan town) and last time I checked, I believe there are Shonen Jump issues there. They are all Japanese from Japan. That way, Kishimoto may have the money he deserves.

Viz did an ok job at first.

I don't care about "Blaze of Glory" since I barely see it later on it doesn't do much later on.

"Sexy no Jutsu" was changed to "Ninja Centerfold." I could deal with that, understanding that I wouldn't want to use the words "sex." Even if it really isn't the same word, just very close to it.

Hinata was called a freak. In my opinion, it seemed like Naruto didn't like his classmates that much and, he seemed to be insulting all of them. It's acceptable if that's what they're going for. Other than that, yeah, it's mean. Besides, he didn't seem to have much friends.

Raijin comics seemed to make pretty good translations. I believe I remember a character who was named Gai which was changed to Guy. I agree that it doesn't fit the Japanese lettering, but most people ignorant on the pronunciations would probably pronounce Gai in a wrong way.

Dopplegangers. Yeah, they sound weird, but clones don't work well either. Clones are, scientifically, copies of you that start off as babies. A shadow copy seems to work best, but doppleganger seems okay, too. However, if the ghost thing about it is true, it would seem weird that Naruto was making solid copies of himself. for me, the best word to use is "copies," but I don't know Japanese so I'm not even going start on what I think some of the words should be and such.

Also, using "Cell" instead "Team" fits well since they are supposed to be considered soldiers as of now.

According to what I'm hearing, the Byakugan and the Shiten no Jutsu were given skewered names. THAT was pretty bad. I'm going to have to see that issue.

I can let go of the honorifics, but they seem better if they had a big list always there to remind them. I see too many manga out there with honorifics out there. The only reason why I don't see it happening now is probably because they want to remain continuous.

It seems they are gradually getting bad. I guess the editors doing Naruto are different than others. They might have fired the person that misspelled the name "Gaara."
Or they just change the editors once in a while.
yaoi_witchchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 19:37   Link #73
Spooky-Electric

Viz's translations are just plain awful. I hate Viz. I'll stick with the scanlations thank you very much.

Oh, and let's not forget them translation Ino's "Shintenshin no Jutsu" to "Art of the Valentine". Yeah, that's not even a translation.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 04:20   Link #74
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
They changed the byakugan to evil eye? Howcome?

And also, doppelganger is a loan word, not an English word. Substituting a foreign term for another foreign term seems a bit silly to me. And yes, I own the two first volumes but I'm not currently planning to get any more.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 02:08   Link #75
Cinnabon

I think "art of the valentine" and "evil eye" are such lame technique names that not even hardcore Viz fans can back this crap up. I mean who are they making this manga for? Sasuke has freaking needles sticking through his neck and spears are sticking in Zabuzas back and people are getting there arms blown off so why the hell are they giving these six year old translations?
Cinnabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 02:22   Link #76
blahblahmaster

I don't buy any manga (in fact, it's actually a relatively new phenomenon to me that manga has become so popular in America), so I don't really have too much attachment to the translations, but I have to admit, some of the stuff does sound silly. For example, "Mirror Wheel Eye" or whatnot. BUT, it seems like there is also too much of this "Japanese is cool" crap.

I'm Korean and grew up on Dragonball and loved it. The Korean video rental store never had Dragonball Z, though, so the only way I got to finish that series was by reading the comic books translated into Korean.

Anyway, I didn't really get serious about anime until middle school, and my interest in anime has waned on and off since then, but here's what I can tell you.

This sounds cold and blunt, but this is the truth. There are a LOT of weird white people that are into anime. Of course, not all white, but mostly. I tried checking out the anime club in high school, and even certain people I took Japanese class with in high school and college with.. And of course, I saw a lot of the same type of people on the Internet when I frequented newsgroups (USENET isn't as popular anymore, though).

I saw a lot of white people trying to be something they're not. It's one thing to enjoy anime, but trying to be Japanese when you're white, come on. A lot of anime fans who had elitist mindsets and believed everyone was inferior to them, talking crap about America and claiming how great Japan is (I mean, it could be true, but what I heard wasn't reasonable arguments, just plain bias).

And as a result of this, there's a lot of hardcore people who are really anal about translations and the like. Personally, I'm a devout Christian, but I feel this analogy is appropriate..

It's like the Bible fundamentalists, taking everything completely literally (and as a result falling into something called legalism).

I dunno, just my two cents.
blahblahmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 10:47   Link #77
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
You guys know that word sasuke always call Naruto? I think it's like "tonkachi" or something like that. Well I remember scanning through the VIS translation and they translated it as "d!ckhead".... is that word THAT bad? Because in the fan subs they have it as... idoit, or dumass, ect... but nothing close to d!ckhead.. ya know what I mean?
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 11:07   Link #78
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerniciousJuJu
You guys know that word sasuke always call Naruto? I think it's like "tonkachi" or something like that. Well I remember scanning through the VIS translation and they translated it as "d!ckhead".... is that word THAT bad? Because in the fan subs they have it as... idoit, or dumass, ect... but nothing close to d!ckhead.. ya know what I mean?

well, i dunno about the translation... but around here 'dickhead' isnt much of a bad word at all (kind of shocked me that you censored it ) around here you could call someone a dumbarse or a dickhead and it would mean the same thing, neither would really be more offensive than the other, i say really but you know, dickhead can be said as a friendly word
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 17:59   Link #79
Kamali
Ow, my brain

Send a message via AIM to Kamali
The reasoning behind all the editing is, what I can think of, due to the fact that in the United States, comics and animation are seen in the major part of society as being for only kids. And since Naruto is first published in a magazine sold then in a graphic novel advertised in that magazine, that pretty much stamps out a hope for an unedited version- no, for the most part parents don't read ratings on media and still complain. (Trust me, I've worked at a gamestore- despite the foolproof ratings on the packaging many parents still think all games are made for kids) - Viz probably doesn't want to deal with it, and I can understand why.

Why do they change the wording of names and jutsu names? Well, I'll tell you all --

just to piss you all off.
Kamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 10:19   Link #80
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
I don't believe they translated some of the "jutsus" fairly. For example, they translated the Bunshin no Jutsuas "Technique of the Doppelganger" and the sexy no jutsu as the "Ninja Centerfold Technique". Now that I can deal with. But I was shocked when I read the latest manga they released, their translation of the Byakugan was "evil eyes".... WTF!! How in the world is that the "evil eyes"!? O_o'' Then they translated Ino's Shintenshin no Jutsu (which really means Mind body Switch Skill) as.. are you ready for this people... now really hold on to your chairs because you'll fall off when u read this, I know I did... they translated it as.... "Valentine Technique"!! I must say, that was the most disgusting translation so far. -__-;; I hope to GOD they don't get the anime licensed too. That wouldn't be pretty... Well there goes my 2 cents.
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote