Seishu's Ace
*Author

Live action Beck planned:

http://www.animenation.net/blog/

I am... Conflicted.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 13:25   Link #422
stubby42

I know I'm a little late to the game but I just finished up watching the beck dub and I enjoyed it but one thing really annoyed me, the opening sequence promises a completely different show to the one we actually got.

I wanted to watch them traveling around America and see why their argueing outside of a bus, instead we get a show that's based on them struggling in Japan.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 00:06   Link #423
FuzzyWuzzy

I hope they create some cool guitar sounds or rifts or whatever they call it in the live action. Preferably blues. Ryuseke not showing off his guitar talents will make the live action show pretty dumb for me.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 16:30   Link #424
qwertyuiopz

it was 4.5/5 for me until the last episode where they played the pillows
its now 5/5
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 17:58   Link #425
Lostdreams

lol I'm posting here after watching this anime a few years back. The leader of the band has the coolest guitar. The one with bullet holes in it is sickass.
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 09:27   Link #426
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I know this is an old thread but I really enjoyed Beck (English Dub), Im a big music guy so stuff like this just appeals to me.

Does anyone know if its possible to get the English dub version of the songs at all?

In Beck's case, as the originals were Engrish, I actually prefer the dubbed versions because the voices and vocalisation were more natural, and I quite like some of the tracks. Stuff like Maho's version of Full Moon Sway/Moon on the Water was relaxing.

The anime did need more K&M development though, its pretty obvious where it was going even if it wasnt official beyond the scene in episode 25 (and in some ways I suppose you could say the ending of episode 26 where hes telling her about what happened, which almost felt like a private thing for the two of em), I mean his old friend/crush left him alone for her, they were both obviously fond of each other and that Yoshito guy had been knocked out the picture.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 20:07   Link #427
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I know this is an old thread but I really enjoyed Beck (English Dub), Im a big music guy so stuff like this just appeals to me.

Does anyone know if its possible to get the English dub version of the songs at all?

In Beck's case, as the originals were Engrish, I actually prefer the dubbed versions because the voices and vocalisation were more natural, and I quite like some of the tracks. Stuff like Maho's version of Full Moon Sway/Moon on the Water was relaxing.

The anime did need more K&M development though, its pretty obvious where it was going even if it wasnt official beyond the scene in episode 25 (and in some ways I suppose you could say the ending of episode 26 where hes telling her about what happened, which almost felt like a private thing for the two of em), I mean his old friend/crush left him alone for her, they were both obviously fond of each other and that Yoshito guy had been knocked out the picture.
You have to search google type a beck song then write english dub

are you reading the manga the manga is infinitely better from the anime more K and M development

I started with the Beck anime and it changed my life, I got a guitar, started to listening to many types of music more importantly rock, what I wear, and a view of life and what it takes to get on top
Old 2010-03-22, 09:56   Link #428
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Not reading the manga yet, but I may do in the future, as I'd be interested to see how the story continues, and obviously it'll have more time to flesh out Koyuki and Maho's relationship because as far as I understand the anime only covers about a third of the manga

Problem I had with google was it was just turning up the japanese versions, and youtube seems to just be bits ripped out the show, again a lot of it from the Japanese cast. Shame Funimation didnt release the re-writes as an album of thier own, or even a bonus CD with say a collectors pack.

A lot of the Beck story hit with me, because I used to go watch small bands, play an instrument, know several people who still play in bands, dated a girl who was a lot like Maho in many ways when I was in my late teens (hell, personality, style, attitude were very similar, and even some of the stuff that got between K/M in the anime happened to us), and love most stuff music orientated.
Old 2010-03-22, 14:03   Link #429
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Not reading the manga yet, but I may do in the future, as I'd be interested to see how the story continues, and obviously it'll have more time to flesh out Koyuki and Maho's relationship because as far as I understand the anime only covers about a third of the manga

Problem I had with google was it was just turning up the japanese versions, and youtube seems to just be bits ripped out the show, again a lot of it from the Japanese cast. Shame Funimation didnt release the re-writes as an album of thier own, or even a bonus CD with say a collectors pack.

A lot of the Beck story hit with me, because I used to go watch small bands, play an instrument, know several people who still play in bands, dated a girl who was a lot like Maho in many ways when I was in my late teens (hell, personality, style, attitude were very similar, and even some of the stuff that got between K/M in the anime happened to us), and love most stuff music orientated.
You lucky bastard =)

Be ready to read the manga because of this

Spoiler for manga(before):

Spoiler for Manga(now):

Spoiler for anime:
[

my favorite is the newer look of the manga, I grew to love it
Old 2010-03-22, 15:50   Link #430
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu View Post
You lucky bastard =)
Haha not sure why Im lucky... if you mean dating the Maho-esque girl, as I mentioned some of the things which caused issues for K/M also caused issues for us, and some were factors in us breaking up, so looking back it probably saved my sanity getting out! At least from the anime Koyuki seemed to be slowly getting a little more solid attention from Maho without her attention wandering too far! haha

Unfortunately I live in an area with a distinct lack of rock/metal music following, and an even lower number of girls interested in said stuff, so I've virtually given up on finding my perfect rock chick haha
Old 2010-03-22, 17:32   Link #431
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Unfortunately I live in an area with a distinct lack of rock/metal music following, and an even lower number of girls interested in said stuff,
So true for me too, but you should start reading the manga so much more rock references
Like the beginning of every chapter has a cover page with a reference to rock

some examples

They have one thats like the Album cover of Axis Bold of Love cept it's Chiba not Hendrix.

Or the Nirvana album cover of nevermind, it;s saito instead of the baby

here just check this out

http://www.beck-mcs.org/indexen.php?page=intro&sspage=1
Old 2010-03-22, 18:35   Link #432
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

No worries, will probably look at it sooner rather than later, as much for the music references as anything else, that was one of the first things that warmed me to the anime,when I noticed how many references were creeping in, simple things like CDs with slightly changed artist names etc.

PS. Just seen the brief trailer for the live action Beck. Largely the actors actually look roughly like how I'd expect them to, will be interesting to see how that turns out.
Old 2010-03-22, 19:25   Link #433
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
No worries, will probably look at it sooner rather than later, as much for the music references as anything else, that was one of the first things that warmed me to the anime,when I noticed how many references were creeping in, simple things like CDs with slightly changed artist names etc.

PS. Just seen the brief trailer for the live action Beck. Largely the actors actually look roughly like how I'd expect them to, will be interesting to see how that turns out.
I think the actors look pretty good, but IMO Ryuusuke and Chiba look the best

Mazuhima Hiro looks and sounds exactly what I expect Ryuusuke to be like, he apparently speaks fluent english

As for Chiba I just think Japanese with that kind of style look cool
Old 2010-03-23, 17:53   Link #434
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

We'll have to wait and see I guess. Chiba was designed after Zach de la Rocha so I'd expect the live actor to look at least a little stylised in that way.
Even if the actors all work, it could still be AWFUL. Hopefully the english pronunciation for any songers done will be decent or that'll ruin it a bit, if they can get people who all speak fluent english without a major accent that'll help...a lot.
Old 2010-03-29, 21:12   Link #435
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
We'll have to wait and see I guess. Chiba was designed after Zach de la Rocha so I'd expect the live actor to look at least a little stylised in that way.
Even if the actors all work, it could still be AWFUL. Hopefully the english pronunciation for any songers done will be decent or that'll ruin it a bit, if they can get people who all speak fluent english without a major accent that'll help...a lot.
I don't mind engrish as long as the songs are good, but yeah they should have more fluent english,
The extra characters had better speakers than the mains.

BTW what really blows my mind is how this is underrated compared to K-on

Seriously they actually show devotion to their music not procrastinating like those girls from K-on(and myself, which i'm ashamed of)

or it's probably the animation or the fact that those girls are cute and people are just willing to eat that stuff up

I don't hate it though, I just hate the fact that there are people actually inspired by that cutesy cute show and not Beck.

Sorry if i'm off topic
Old 2010-03-30, 01:05   Link #436
Nervous Venus

Just jumping in here out of nowhere, but I honestly haven't watched K-ON (and don't really intend to.) (Should I?) I bought the original flimsy mock-amp-box and Beck dvds when it first came out in the US, and lent it to my brother a couple of months ago. It came back dog-eared, but he's picked up playing bass again, after having quit for a year.

I think it's pretty awesome for an anime to be that persuasive.

But I'm embarrassed to say I've dropped the manga after Volume 18 or so. I feel like I'm too far behind now to pick it back up. :/
I read the original Japanese and the manga's dirt cheap at book-off, so maybe I'll crawl back to where I sold them to and buy them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus
Dunno. The English dub sounded just a tad bit bland to me. Could just be my elitist snob side speaking here, since I'm not a fan of dubs. If you can get past the Engrish (guess I'm the lucky few that can), the Japanese voices are actually pretty unique, especially Koyuki's. I remembered hearing someone say ages ago that Koyuki's voice didn't match with his figure, but then again...I remembered seeing Jason Wade from Lifehouse perform live, and his singing voice is so much bigger than his body.
Old 2010-03-30, 10:16   Link #437
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Just jumping in here out of nowhere, but I honestly haven't watched K-ON (and don't really intend to.) (Should I?) I bought the original flimsy mock-amp-box and Beck dvds when it first came out in the US, and lent it to my brother a couple of months ago. It came back dog-eared, but he's picked up playing bass again, after having quit for a year.

I think it's pretty awesome for an anime to be that persuasive.

But I'm embarrassed to say I've dropped the manga after Volume 18 or so. I feel like I'm too far behind now to pick it back up. :/
I read the original Japanese and the manga's dirt cheap at book-off, so maybe I'll crawl back to where I sold them to and buy them back.

Dunno. The English dub sounded just a tad bit bland to me. Could just be my elitist snob side speaking here, since I'm not a fan of dubs. If you can get past the Engrish (guess I'm the lucky few that can), the Japanese voices are actually pretty unique, especially Koyuki's. I remembered hearing someone say ages ago that Koyuki's voice didn't match with his figure, but then again...I remembered seeing Jason Wade from Lifehouse perform live, and his singing voice is so much bigger than his body.
I only watch K-on for the sake of watching people playing instruments and that isn't much of the case half the time, You should watch it if your into Moe girls and pop music, the only time i heard anything good is when they have references to rockstars (Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Kurt Cobain) To me they just stuck those reference there to keep us rock fans watching
but there are hardly anymore references after the first episode and when Azusa comes in

For the manga definitely pick it back up, only manga i've read 3 or 4 times, i'd get the actual manga but sadly theres no Beck being released anymore where i'm from anymore, if only i'd discover this series sooner, at least I got one copy of vol.4.

You're not the only one who can stand engrish, I think the japanese accents really fit the songs like episode 10 when koyuki sang Face, I thought it sounded nice, but imagine if the seiyu was actually somewhat fluent in english it would sound a whole lot better
it would be weird to hear Greg Ayres voice as koyuki when Koyuki gets older
Old 2010-03-31, 13:49   Link #438
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I'd agree as well, I did enjoy K-On because it was lighthearted and still about music/bands to some degree, but as a music anime, Beck is definately better.

@Nervous Venus
I agree the actual voices are slightly better on the Japanese version in some ways, and I can look past Engrish (otherwise I'd never have survived Spice and Wolf's ending), I normally prefer sub to dub as well, but I just felt bar a few points, the english dub flowed a little better, and the songs seemed more naturalistic, considering it was meant to be sung in English it just worked better for me.

Brina Palencia's turn as Maho was also very good, for a lot of the voice work, and the songs especially she did a very good job, not to mention her tone and sound were very similar to the Japanese voice actor's work for most of em, which is great, and I definately prefer her songs to the original, because of how close her covers are, yet without sacrificing any of the naturally flowing english without the Japanese english accent. Doesn't stop me listening to the Japanese versions of the tracks either, as I do listen to some of those as well, but some songs really do sound better when sung properly (with better grammar too!)

Shame Funi never released the US Dub's soundtrack. It'd make a good companion piece to the Japanese soundtrack.

Like Kazu said, watch K-On if you fancy something a little lighthearted, with a bit of 'cute', some humour and a bit of music (although I think the music sounds better in many cases without the lyrics).
Old 2010-04-01, 02:29   Link #439
Kazu
Flowing

God this anime needs another season,frickin K-On already has another season comin up,the anime only shows like a 1/5 of the awesome moments

Things I need to see
Spoiler for awesome moments:

They can make a movie but not a second season, hopefully the movie doesen't fail and they get enough for a second season

But who knows they might have rock star cameos, They had frickin Gene Simmons in DMC live action

I also wonder who are they gonna possibly put as Eddie and Matt unless they took them off which would Piss me off
Old 2010-06-28, 06:20   Link #440
Iluvatar

I've just rewatched Beck and read the manga again, amazing manga and anime, no doubt about it.

I hope they make another season too, but I don't think thats likely to happen.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, shounen