Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-20, 15:53   Link #321
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Too late. If the story is employing time paradox penalties, then sending Fumiaki back into the past in order to change it, would in itself result into a time paradox.

The story is already treating time travel in the same manner Terminator and Back to Future treat it.
Actually it's even more screwed up since this isn't the first Fumiaki to be sent back in time. This suggests interdimensional travel too, but I'm still unsure since the personalities of Fumiaki in his back story and the personality he has in the "present" don't match up very well.

Also, I get the feeling that Mikaze is just too perfect and convenient for Fumiaki. There's definitely a large chunk of the story missing in regards to his character. Following the Terminator line of though, maybe she's from the future and was sent to stop him (or maybe she's backup of some sort).
Old 2010-07-20, 16:07   Link #322
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Actually it's even more screwed up since this isn't the first Fumiaki to be sent back in time. This suggests interdimensional travel too, but I'm still unsure since the personalities of Fumiaki in his back story and the personality he has in the "present" don't match up very well.
Back to the Future is just as messed up with regard to time travel. Marty Mcfly even travels back into the same past twice and sees his past self fixing the past of his parents, all the while the Doc claiming that he shouldn't meet his other self or else he might cause a time paradox! Wait, what?

In Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, Fumiaki's other clones get sent to who knows when prior to the events of the anime, and the remaining one even has a phone that reveals the future to him depending on his intentions as if were something out of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I think it's safe to say by now, that this anime isn't taking into account hard sci-fi rules when it comes to time travel.

Oh, about Fumiaki's clones... does this mean our Fumiaki in the story isn't the original? He does seem to possess the same memories, but they could've been transplanted into him or something.

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-07-20 at 16:39.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 16:10   Link #323
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Comedy (or drama) physics prevails rather than any strict interpretation.
Old 2010-07-20, 16:13   Link #324
Syobon
Moe Member

sci-fi rules =/= physic rules lol!

btw, i found really dumb that he never even though about taking a photo of the mysterious curry-girl that is arguable capable of reading his toughs.
Syobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 16:15   Link #325
Midonin
Last Engage

Being smitten (and/or carsick) does things to people.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 16:37   Link #326
kujoe
from head to heel

Actually, I thought that she's the restaurant owner who transformed into her young appearance at first. Hmmm... maybe that's why she's taking a long time..?

Of course, after a while I realized that doesn't actually happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Comedy (or drama) physics prevails rather than any strict interpretation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syobon View Post
sci-fi rules =/= physic rules lol!
Indeed.

There is however, such a thing called hard sci-fi. It's a classification for sci-fi stories that place a lot of emphasis on scientific detail and accuracy. Obviously, this anime can't be categorized as such, and that's not something to complain about.

It's just the nature of the story that we've already come to accept, hence the concept of time paradox doesn't apply here... which is what I was getting at.

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-07-20 at 16:49.
Old 2010-07-20, 16:50   Link #327
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, I prefer hard science fiction... or at least science fiction where the rules aren't pulled out of thin air to "macguffin" through a plot hole.

But part of the story here is that it isn't clear what is happening so the viewer is operating with limited knowledge (along with the core characters).
Old 2010-07-20, 16:54   Link #328
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, since Fumiaki is a clone, the story can 'rationalize' that anything he does won't affect what the original is meant to do in the present and the following future years.

But yeah... that would probably be even more confusing if you're trying to look at the whole time travel bit logically.

I say, just think Chrono Trigger.
Old 2010-07-20, 16:59   Link #329
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Well, since Fumiaki is a clone, the story can 'rationalize' that anything he does won't affect what the original is meant to do in the present and the following future years.
What makes you think he's a clone? There hasn't been any evidence that he is a clone and the guy at the beg of the first ep looks nothing like Fumi =0\.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 17:11   Link #330
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
What makes you think he's a clone? There hasn't been any evidence that he is a clone and the guy at the beg of the first ep looks nothing like Fumi =0\.
My mistake. I thought with Fumiaki being Abe Minoru #6 that he's the sixth one in a line of the same person.

The name is just a cover.
Old 2010-07-20, 19:05   Link #331
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
But part of the story here is that it isn't clear what is happening so the viewer is operating with limited knowledge (along with the core characters).
Yeah, it's not really fair IMO to jump the gun and call plot holes when the series hasn't even begun to explain itself yet. Occult Academy obviously has mystery elements to it, and given how much research/homework it has shown so far (OP references, myths, real world events, etc.), I'm willing to believe at least for now that the producers know what the hell they're doing with the plot.

Speaking of which, has it been confirmed how many episodes Occult Academy will have?

EDIT: Thanks, Kaoru Chujo

Last edited by Eater of All; 2010-07-20 at 22:08.
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 20:08   Link #332
Francismeunier
Banned

Question

Quote:

Also, I get the feeling that Mikaze is just too perfect and convenient for Fumiaki. There's definitely a large chunk of the story missing in regards to his character. Following the Terminator line of though, maybe she's from the future and was sent to stop him (or maybe she's backup of some sort).
That's exactly what I though about Mikaze....she could be a back up. Also do you think anything might happen if Fumiaki from the future meets his mother in present or himself and touches him?
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 21:01   Link #333
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
...Speaking of which, has it been confirmed how many episodes Occult Academy will have?
The dependable site Relentlessness says 13.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 21:49   Link #334
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Not the only thing that made me wonder if she was a plant, and not what she seemed. For instance, the long preparation time for the curry could have been to get her in place. And why did she call the kid Fumiaki rather than Bunmei? Could it have been inside info?
My suspicion is that she's a time-traveler herself. That would also explain her reaction to the cranes in the bunker - she was there at the time they died.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 22:10   Link #335
FateAnomaly

I think she is a yokai or a ghost.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 22:30   Link #336
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

He's in the middle of a grandfather paradox. Abe 1-5 met with the restricted action resolution, (they got killed).

Even in the Terminator series all that time travel never really stopped the future from happening. Both parties got caught in a restricted action resolution.

Stopping the invasion may not be the answer to his problem imo. That's how he got the technology for time travel and his phone I bet. Maybe convincing the invaders not to kill the humans would be a better thing to attempt to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My suspicion is that she's a time-traveler herself. That would also explain her reaction to the cranes in the bunker - she was there at the time they died.
She could also be a Tengu. This is a supernatural title and the episode was talking about Tengu.

Last edited by orion; 2010-07-20 at 22:41.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 23:01   Link #337
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

We see the "Tengu" snatching somebody and flying off with him, but it's unclear what happens afterwards or why. Obviously the Tengu are willing to kill, as #5 learned, but there are many reasons to kill that don't necessarily make one irredeemably evil.

My guess is that Mikaze is the child/grandchild of one of the Tengu (the other being her aunt/great aunt) and a previously (generations ago) kidnapped person, and as such was alive herself back during WWII to witness the building of the Zozan bunkers. The Tengu kidnap in order to feed and/or reproduce, which is why Grammy and Auntie are out looking for "fresh meat", since Mikaze, now in the flower of womanhood at seventy, is finally of that age...

Of course, that also might answer the question regarding why Fumiaki's meal was so late... ^_^ Or why she can afford the Porche (savings account with interest). Or why Mikami is pursuing Fumiaki on her own (doesn't want any more people to have to be kidnapped/eaten for her sake).

That way we get to kill the hungry "evil" Tengu by the end of the arc, but Mikaze gets to stay around.

Quote:
Indeed.

There is however, such a thing called hard sci-fi. It's a classification for sci-fi stories that place a lot of emphasis on scientific detail and accuracy. Obviously, this anime can't be categorized as such, and that's not something to complain about.

It's just the nature of the story that we've already come to accept, hence the concept of time paradox doesn't apply here... which is what I was getting at.
As long as it's internally consistent and not absurdly imagined (unless that's the point), it's fine. People have their preferences, certainly, but no time travel "rule" is any "better" than the others (except for the absurdly imagined ones, of course).
Old 2010-07-20, 23:44   Link #338
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
People have their preferences, certainly, but no time travel "rule" is any "better" than the others (except for the absurdly imagined ones, of course).
Nah, I'm implying no such thing.

The story here doesn't really regard the whole time travel bit that strictly, which is fine with me.

I'm not into this show for possible explorations on the concept of time travel after all.
Old 2010-07-21, 00:28   Link #339
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

There are multiverse as physics is trying to find it, hence different past and future, and different timelines running through a single junction point in the membrane of space, time and dimension.

P.S. Bring on the endless 8 (not...)
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 01:13   Link #340
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well thought it was interesting to see Fumiaki reminisce and actually call home even if he didn't say anything. Had to be a difficult situation to know she is around, but not being able to reveal anything since no chance she would actually believe any of it.

Then he gets sucked into this situation with Mikaze who can't just be some average person. Hopefully she does get to stick around since she is pretty likable. Besides be nice to have someone not so harsh around him.Not sure if she will stay around since she could just be in for this Tengu situation.