AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-30, 21:56   Link #13861
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I don't think Fortis is lying. What reason would he have to? He was pretty frank about everything including how his people would have done worse things to Thoma's village. If he was lying so Thoma would join their family, why would he lie about a cure when he didn't lie about something that would make Thoma have a worse opinion of them?

Of course it's possible that Fortis and the others are unaware of a Bureau created cure.
I'm actually thinking more along the line of the attitude that a cure is impossible, regardless of whether one exists at the present.

Quote:
What do you mean not an immediate threat? Thanks to the book, Thoma now sees everything in "dangerous/not dangerous" vision. Lily posed no threat so she was fine, but Isis was marked as dangerous and she spat out a fountain of blood because of it. What do you think those who attempt to take Thoma into custody would be considered?
After which event, he immediately started talking normally to Fortis and Stella and attempted to help Isis and Lily. This condition is clearly not one that's constantly in effect (indeed, if he "cannot differentiate between surroundings and people," then how could he talk to Subaru by name and identify her?).
Old 2010-10-30, 22:02   Link #13862
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
This condition is clearly not one that's constantly in effect (indeed, if he "cannot differentiate between surroundings and people," then how could he talk to Subaru by name and identify her?).
Because he recognizes her voice, Tohma even made note of that:

"That voice ...Su-chan?"

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-10-30, 22:05   Link #13863
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Because he recognizes her voice, Tohma even made note of that:

"That voice ...Su-chan?"
Yes, but the point is that he can still identify her. She's Subaru, not a wall.
Old 2010-10-30, 22:05   Link #13864
Justin_Brett

Maybe he was trying to reassure Touma, in an 'it could have been worse' way. Some of these guys are a little out there, after all (**** a lobster, anyone?).

Plus the dude's waaaaay too shifty to be completely forthright about everything.
Old 2010-10-30, 22:08   Link #13865
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
I'm actually thinking more along the line of the attitude that a cure is impossible, regardless of whether one exists at the present.
That's not their attitude at all, though. At least it wasn't at first. Fortis speaks of attempts to find a treatment, and while they did have a little success, they were unable to cure it completely.

Quote:
After which event, he immediately started talking normally to Fortis and Stella and attempted to help Isis and Lily. This condition is clearly not one that's constantly in effect (indeed, if he "cannot differentiate between surroundings and people," then how could he talk to Subaru by name and identify her?).
It's in constant effect in that Thoma's vision is now that Terminator/Predator view. He's able to speak normally but when he was chatting with Fortis there were no threats around him. Lily was always okay, and Isis was knocked out and thus removed as a threat. The Book didn't need to be on alert.

He identified Subaru by her voice, so his hearing is unaffected. Everyone in that room was incapacitated to various degrees, so again the Book didn't need to be on alert. Thoma can control his actions such as blasting a hole in the ship, but it's his automated defense system that he has no control over. It just reacts to any sort of hostility regardless of friend or foe. That's where the danger is.
Old 2010-10-30, 22:12   Link #13866
Justin_Brett

...wait, what if Touma just shuts his eyes, then, if it's by sight?
Old 2010-10-30, 22:13   Link #13867
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Fortis probably isn't lying, but you can be greatly deceptive and still tell the truth. Just tell bits of the truth so that someone is led to a conclusion all on their own. I don't think he's deceiving Thoma too much, but I'd lay odds he isn't telling everything yet, until Thoma officially joins them.
Old 2010-10-30, 23:02   Link #13868
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Assuming a cure exist, or TSAB/Huckies are in the process of making them, Thoma doesn't know of it.

You may call Thoma pessimistic, but it's hard to be optimistic when you can barely perceive anyone else, see the world through some sort of Terminator-Threat Thermal Eyes, and automatically disables or come close to killing anyone which shows even a minimal level of caution against him. Throw in the fact that he never ever truly recovered from his traumatic past, and is now relapsing a horrible emotional mind-twister, it's only normal to just seek the easy way out.

I've said that Emoha was kinda unrealistic in some context in the Movie 1st. But Thoma's Emoma' moment actually makes sense, since he's being portrayed as a child trying to find a measure of peace, comes extremely close to reaching it, but then had the world tumbling down on him several times over.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2010-10-30, 23:16   Link #13869
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

IIRC Fortis made mention of them having a way around the Kill or Die reqs of the Eclipse. I'd have to go check to see if I'm not misremembering it though.
Old 2010-10-31, 00:59   Link #13870
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Chapter 8, page 21 Fortis says they do have a way to supress the virus. But later on page 26 he says that not even God can help Thoma now.
Old 2010-10-31, 01:00   Link #13871
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Chapter 8, page 21 Fortis says they do have a way to supress the virus. But later on page 26 he says that not even God can help Thoma now.
when God can't help, that is when you ask for the Devil.
Old 2010-10-31, 01:08   Link #13872
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
when God can't help, that is when you ask for the Devil.
And that tends to be the reason that the world ends up doomed.

Just ask the blind sage.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-10-31, 04:08   Link #13873
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Was the StrikerS manga put out before the anime?
By half of year.

Quote:
Also, if I recall, the beginning of the StrikerS manga took place several years before the actual series (although the first and second episode flashback to the airport fire).
And what?

Quote:
Lastly, considering they just announced a second movie, I assume all their animation budget will be poured into that, so any actual Force series will be a long time in coming, ie, after the second movie.
Which doesn't mean that Force manga is not prequel to something after it.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-10-31, 04:27   Link #13874
mechdra

I had a felling that Touma will over come the effect of the virus through sher courage and willpower!There is other power that is greater than courage and willpower!

From the last page of the Force latest chapter, I can see that we wrll have Nanoha vs Touma with a very high chance that Touma absorb SLB and return it back to Nanoha.
Old 2010-10-31, 10:40   Link #13875
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I've said that Emoha was kinda unrealistic in some context in the Movie 1st. But Thoma's Emoma' moment actually makes sense, since he's being portrayed as a child trying to find a measure of peace, comes extremely close to reaching it, but then had the world tumbling down on him several times over.
I agree. What Thoma is ding is realistic for a human being. He's messing up in a believable way, which is good writing. But that still makes Nanoha correct in that he's reacting emotionally to something and needs his head cooled so he can think clearer, much like Teana did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
By half of year.

And what?
The StrikerS manga essentially starts right at the end of the A's epilogue, which is 4 years before StrikerS. Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate transform on top of the school, and get beamed up to the Arthra, and then go on to battle some drones for the first time.

The rest of the manga takes place in spurts between portions of the story, while also having some chapters devoted to background of what characters were up to, and what they felt, before and during the series. Would be kinda odd to release all that before the series, unless they released the manga concurrently with the series itself.

Quote:
Which doesn't mean that Force manga is not prequel to something after it.
Maybe, but you can't judge that based on the StrikerS manga; the two are nothing alike. The StikerS manga only gave the barest hint of the plot, and was mainly backstory before the series, and then had thoughts from some characters at points during the series, complete with the extended epilogue after. In short, covering the gaps.

Force has been all plot so far, much heavier than StrikerS. I'll admit there is always a possibility it could be a prequel for an anime series, but it's highly doubtful. At this point, it can pretty much stand as a story on it's own, and any anime series would almost count as a new season.

The only way I can see this working, is via suggestions from the title: Magical War Chronicle Lyrical Nanoha Force. So the manga deals with the Hucks, and when that gets resolved, they see it was only the tip of the iceberg, and somehow there are many planets that start to go to war, and they'd put out a 26 anime series dealing with their attempts to stop the wars.

Which would follow the natural thought of the manga being it's own story, but leading into another season. Not much like the StrikerS manga and anime, which were intertwined throughout their run.
Old 2010-10-31, 14:31   Link #13876
narubu
=^_^=

Anyone care to try and translate this short piece by Leohart's blog partner, STC?

http://leoheart.blog43.fc2.com/blog-entry-636.html

It looks interesting...
Old 2010-10-31, 14:55   Link #13877
aers
*Fansubber

Full Japanese spoiler for Movie Manga Seq 1-10 "Therefore, the hand is held out."

Spoiler for text!:
Old 2010-10-31, 15:34   Link #13878
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Keroko, I've always respected you up until now. But then you said the "Yaoi" word, and now I have to hate you!
Hypocricy, thy name is man.

Quote:
I agree. What Thoma is ding is realistic for a human being. He's messing up in a believable way, which is good writing. But that still makes Nanoha correct in that he's reacting emotionally to something and needs his head cooled so he can think clearer, much like Teana did.
Clearing his head, however, won't solve the problem of him potentially killing anyone who is detected as a threat. As Isis showed, even being on guard and not directly attacking at all is enough for the book to decide 'splat.' Unless they have a cure ready which can be applied the moment they knock Touma out, this might be a case where shooting big pink beams won't solve the problem.
Old 2010-10-31, 15:58   Link #13879
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Even if Nanoha knocked Thoma out, the Book would still remain active. Heck, it would become even more dangerous since its host is unconsious and it would need to work harder to protect him. Isis just got knocked out but next time...
Old 2010-10-31, 17:15   Link #13880
Kaijo
Banned

Yeah, but they don't know that. They are still operating under the assumption they can knock him out, and probably keep him sedated until they can devise a cure. At the least, they don't want Subaru to cry because Thoma took his own life.

It's good writing, as none of the characters knows the full details that the audience knows, and thus it's bringing them into conflict.
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen