4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-21, 23:00   Link #221
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

It was a bittersweet ending, we saw this from Gen a mile away.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:04   Link #222
Dark Wing

Also I don't know if anyone else has come to this conclusion as well it would seem that The whole wings and bow stuff with Homura is probably because in a timeline where Madoka doesn't exist, a wish to go back in time and protect Madoka could never have happened, so her powers are vastly different due to her new wish to protect the universe that Madoka gave her life to protect.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:04   Link #223
karuroso

Incredible how in the last ep it went into Gurren Lagann terretory in scale of absurdness but yet it still made sense, but...BUT! i.i no matter what was said Madoka still "disappeared" , it was'nt exactly happy at all >_> damn you Urobochi!
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:05   Link #224
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm surprised that someone's hypothesis all the way back on episode 4 actually came true...

Anyway, this ending was defiantly satisfying from all the things that all the magical girls had to go through. Although near the ending it somewhat din't matter with witches now being replaced with demons (huh?) and Homura dealing with them now (I loved that last few minutes with the wings o.o) but atleast Mami survived along with Kyoko, although Homura is sad without Madoka (but the encouragement from time to time helps). Kinda sad that Sayaka couldn't be helped either way and her fate still remained the same (dying I meant)
Old 2011-04-21, 23:08   Link #225
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Also consider that the story deals heavily in alternate universes/timelines. Madoka didn't become a goddess in all of them, and the chances a mortal Madoka exists in most of them are extremely large.
I was under the impression her wish transcended all space and time. Of course further analysis of what that actually means is probably pointless as we'd have to establish whether or not alternate timelines exist in parallel with each other or if they spring into existence after an event in a previous timeline or....well, you get the drift. Pointless discussion. On a practical level though, I think it's fair to say that in the only timeline that matters, the one this reality is based on, she no longer exists. Which, frankly, is all that matters.

As for the ending, I suppose Madoka took to heart what QB said about humanity still living in caves if it hadn't been for magical girls, hence why she didn't wish for the entire system itself to be dismantled (ok, this probably wasn't the main reason, rather she wanted to allow girls to help and protect without falling into despair). A noble idea, I suppose. And, while I'm thinking there would have been ways of doing this without, for all practical purposes, sacrificing one's life, I guess I prefer an ending that has a cost to it than one that doesn't. Not that I was entirely pleased with the Madoka wishes witches away approach. I'm a decent person, but there's no way in hell I'd sacrifice a loving family so a bunch of strangers get to not turn into witches. Especially wouldn't lie to my loving mother like that. But, that's why this show is called Madoka Magica. ;p

My only real gripe with the ending (well, outside of it not being some mindblowing out of the left field ending that blew my socks off; yea, I was a little disappointed) was the strange decision to have this new world populated with "demons" now. Really? It makes zero sense, and smacks of laying groundwork for future spinoffs. Especially since no real explanation was given for how this demon killing thing helps QB in what he implied was a better way. It's screaming for a generic shonen manga/anime treatment in the future, especially since it's already seeming to do that in one of the current manga spinoffs. Kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm hoping we don't see Homura Magica Excorcist: Fighting Demon After Demon for 200+ Episodes! in the future.

Still, definitely one of the best series in a while, and that's something I never ever in a million years thought I'd say about a magical girl show or any show that features little girls.

I also note no flooding scenes. ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Also I don't know if anyone else has come to this conclusion as well it would seem that The whole wings and bow stuff with Homura is probably because in a timeline where Madoka doesn't exist, a wish to go back in time and protect Madoka could never have happened, so her powers are vastly different due to her new wish to protect the universe that Madoka gave her life to protect.
Discussions about timelines and Homura are always interesting, as they show how people perceive timelines exist. Using this show (episode 10 to be specific) is a good example of the common view. There's timeline 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Another way of viewing it is that there's only one timeline. Homura going through all those "timelines" (and I use quotes because I don't view them as separate timelines for her) is just one Homura timeline. She experienced all that. As for your actual statement concerning her bow, I figured that was her homage to Madoka, since she still remembers her.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:10   Link #226
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Yea that makes sense but then that raises another question. If everything got reset then how did Homura get to this new world without her time space powers? If she was reborn in the new world with her memories then does that mean she turned back in a normal girl but contracted again to protect the world? Since witches don't exist but curses still do then does that mean Madoka have no jurisdiction over this new world?
Old 2011-04-21, 23:13   Link #227
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Watching Nutbladder's 11. Now I'm really pissed.

Spoiler:
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:14   Link #228
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
My only real gripe with the ending (well, outside of it not being some mindblowing out of the left field ending that blew my socks off; yea, I was a little disappointed) was the strange decision to have this new world populated with "demons" now. Really? It makes zero sense, and smacks of laying groundwork for future spinoffs. Especially since no real explanation was given for how this demon killing thing helps QB in what he implied was a better way. It's screaming for a generic shonen manga/anime treatment in the future, especially since it's already seeming to do that in one of the current manga spinoffs. Kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm hoping we don't see Homura Magica Excorcist: Fighting Demon After Demon for 200+ Episodes! in the future.
Well the "demons" are supposed to represent how while you can inject all the hope you want into a universe grief and despair will continue to exist. The "demons" are the manifestation of that grief and despair and give Kyuubey a nice snack to munch on to avoid heat death. Thinking like this makes it easier to swallow once the series milking really kicks in.

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:14   Link #229
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

The wish itself is a paradox, "to destroy every single witch from past to future in every dimension before it ever happen", so there is no way Madoka could ever become a witch, she would destroy herself if she comes closed to be a witch.

Now the ending raises question, could some other being out there like QB are targeting boys with a "Mahou Shounen" system
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:15   Link #230
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post

Spoiler:
Misreading. The so-called karmic weight comes into the picture after Homura starts going through time loops, or at least that's Kyubey's theory on the matter (remember, he doesn't quite understand the mechanics of magic himself). Personally I still prefer the gravity of the wish influences the power gained, but we do what we can with what the screenwriter gives us.

At least that's what I remember from live stream. Hmm.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:17   Link #231
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:

Spoiler:
Watching Nutbladder's 11. Stop right there. Your argument is flawed already.

But seriously, I don't believe it was said anywhere in timeline 1 that Madoka got contracted at that time because she was Omega. She only became increasingly powerful after that timeline.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:18   Link #232
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Misreading. The karmic weight comes into the picture after Homura starts going through time loops.
Yeah, but Madoka being a Magical Girl is the entire cause of Homura going through the time loops.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:19   Link #233
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:

Spoiler:
Maybe because in the original timeline Kyuubey just randomly happened to contract her like every other girl of that age he ran across? You can ask the same question about why he gave a damn about contracting the lackluster Sayaka. He's just maximizing his stable of magical girls. In later timelines he takes notice of her buffed, karmic weight status.

Old 2011-04-21, 23:20   Link #234
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makender View Post
You can ask the same question about why he gave a damn about contracting the lackluster Sayaka.
The entire reason he met Sayaka was because he was stalking Madoka to activate her inherent powers.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:20   Link #235
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Yeah, but Madoka being a Magical Girl is the entire cause of Homura going through the time loops.
Yea, what's your point?
Old 2011-04-21, 23:21   Link #236
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Finally finished watching both episodes with HQ subs, just wow...my jaw dropped down to the floor and stayed like that.

So Madoka finally realized her wish and became a goddess and re-wrote the entire witch system, effectively re-creating the whole universe also. There are no witches now, but rather there are demons. But atleast the puella magi never have to worry about become witches anymore. And it seems at the end, Homura is now the sole protector of the world and inherited both Madoka's puella magi and witch powers, forever to fight the demons. But as long as she remembers, Madoka will always be with her.

IMO, the best and only ending this series could get. A happy, yet sad ending. It was one hell of a ride. Thanks Madoka, for saving us
Old 2011-04-21, 23:23   Link #237
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler for ed:
Old 2011-04-21, 23:24   Link #238
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makender View Post
Well the "demons" are supposed to represent how while you can inject all the hope you want into a universe grief and despair will continue to exist. The "demons" are the manifestation of that grief and despair and give Kyuubey a nice snack to munch on to avoid heat death. Thinking like this makes it easier to swallow once the series milking really kicks in.
I suppose that's how it's supposed to be interpreted, though it would seem to negate Madoka transcending space and time for all eternity taking on all that grief and despair. I mean, she sacrificed herself for all that and in the end it doesn't matter. All those magical girls in this new world are still creating despair to balance it out. If we ignore this ending probably being done to allow for potential future milking and take it at face value, than she'd have been better off just eliminating the system, since what does it matter what good a magical girl does if it is going to still have corresponding negativity. Though it seems they all know they do this time around if Mami's statement that they do can be taken as truth. And they still have to kill themselves at some point ala Sayaka? So all that changed is that instead of being the actual direct bringer of misfortune to this world by turning into witches, they do it indirectly. Gosh, what a great ending for Madoka sacrificing her life. Meh. Not gonna let this take away from a great series. I'm sure even a generic shonen-like Magica spinoff will be better than 9/10th of what is aired these days anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Homura is now the sole protector of the world and inherited both Madoka's puella magi and witch powers, forever to fight the demons.
No. There are plenty of other magical girls. Homura is not alone. You see Kyoko and Mami. The system is still in place. They just no longer turn into witches. Unless the twist is they turn into demons now. I kid, I kid. About the turning into demons part.

Last edited by creb; 2011-04-21 at 23:37.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:24   Link #239
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
The entire reason he met Sayaka was because he was stalking Madoka to activate her inherent powers.
That doesn't change that his intentions in the original timeline are still pretty obvious. He didn't care about Madoka in any particular way (making the assumption she wasn't already powerful in the original time, that's fine) in the original timeline. He just wanted as many magical girls as possible. He saw Madoka, thought "Mmmm prime target...," and contracted with her. Nothing special about it. Then after the karmic weight kicks in does he care and insist on following her around. Then the "point" of Kyuube following Madoka around as you call it kicks in.

Old 2011-04-21, 23:24   Link #240
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
With each loop, that 'weight' accrues. How, we don't know, and even Kyubey doesn't understand himself, but it just does. All that (yes I prefer the wish gravitas theory) gradually accumulated with each of Madoka's incarnations (we saw four, that doesn't mean there wasn't more), turning her from just a talented magical girl from Homura's original timeline, to the nigh-godlike being in the last one.

Tags
episode discussion, final episode thread, madoka magica