Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-06, 00:27   Link #41
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
And so, many theories ensue.
LOL it's more fun this way. whether they're zany or sound, theories entertain me. we'll see how they compare to oda's revelations.

Quote:
Sales figures are meaningless because we are talking about the popularity of manga series online i.e. through the media of scanlations.
i can't say anything about the popularity of the manga scans in my country but i can honestly say that naruto is more popular as a series here. i say that because everywhere i go i see loads of naruto merchandise from t-shirts, toys, lunch boxes, energy drinks, and other such collectibles. i don't see as much one piece merchandise here and i know that for a fact because i collect anime stuff and one piece stuff aren't as readily available. even the toys aren't as popular as the naruto ones even though the quality of the OP figures are usually more superior. supply and demand comes into play. so i would usually order online or ask my japanese and korean friends to buy them for me. but that's just my observation.

but in japan it's a different story, the same in korea. there are beach houses, restaurants, cars (made by japanese companies), life-sized replicas of OP ships and even a tokyo dome tour all inspired and dedicated to the one piece series. naruto is popular in these countries as well but it's nowhere near as popular as OP.
Old 2011-10-06, 02:15   Link #42
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Is anyone else not curious what the deal with the Noah is. I said in another thread that it probably is related to Ancient weapons, though I don't think it is one. What do you people think?

Quote:
Sales figures are meaningless because we are talking about the popularity of manga series online i.e. through the media of scanlations.
Sales figures are perfectly valid measures of popularity and a good proxy for popularity on the interwebz. There have been studies in the past that have essentially shown that digital media files (music, movies, games) with highest volumes of sales are the ones that are most frequently pirated.

Your making presumption that scanalation popularity and manga sales are no way correlated. I think that would take a much greater leap of faith than one to one.

One piece sale in Asia are Naruto+Bleach Sales.

One piece in America is basically just a stable seller, its not FMA or DBZ from what I've been told from various people in funimation. Some at high level.
Old 2011-10-06, 06:27   Link #43
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Is anyone else not curious what the deal with the Noah is. I said in another thread that it probably is related to Ancient weapons, though I don't think it is one. What do you people think?
With all the talk about fishmen wanting to join the Reverie and be able to live on the surface (well, near the surface), it might be that it's the ship that's supposed to carry them all there (although I don't know why they must go all at once). It also may have something to do with the Poneglyphs, actually - maybe there's an important one inside?
Old 2011-10-06, 09:46   Link #44
Homura7

I've just found Raftel is located on the opposite side of the Reverse Mountain. I'm an idiot...
Old 2011-10-06, 10:13   Link #45
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Is anyone else not curious what the deal with the Noah is.

Well, I did kinda bring up my own Noah-related theory earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
The "great man" that Neptune mentioned in his speech about Noah's history is probably "Joy Boy" from the poneglyph.

So maybe "Joy Boy" was the original builder/captain of the Noah, and after the ship sunk to the ocean's depths, he left some sort of apology note on the poneglyph. As for exactly what he was apologizing for.... well, that's anyone's guess. All I can really think of right now is that he felt regret for letting the ship sink. Hopefully, Robin or Neptune will further clarify things later on.....
Old 2011-10-06, 10:51   Link #46
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

A crazy theory: Noah was carrying settlers to a new island, the ship sunk and the survivors found Fishman Island, so either a lot of fishmen are descendants of those survivors, or they are the first fishmen (I don't know how they would mutate/morph so quickly, but hey, it's a universe where guns can eat Devil Fruits ) and that's what Hody found out and became angry about.

Farfetched? Yes, but I think it would make for another great twist .
Old 2011-10-06, 13:07   Link #47
james0246

^The leaking caffeine from the local Coca-Cola Factory obviously accelerated the mutation process...
Old 2011-10-07, 00:09   Link #48
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^The leaking caffeine from the local Coca-Cola Factory obviously accelerated the mutation process...
^ made me lol

Well I remember Hody saying something that humans did to him, so it could have a link to Noah. If not then he could just be using it because an opportunity arose. Either way, the ending will be a good one and secrets(if not a few) will be revealed. I'm just betting that Gol D. Roger had a little connection with Noah some how and the poneglyph, like he did with the one in Skypie.
Old 2011-10-07, 11:34   Link #49
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

I wasn't aware that Big Mom held underwater establishments for hundreds of years.
Old 2011-10-07, 12:31   Link #50
Blackbeard D. Kuma

CoA or not, this chapter still reinforced that Luffy has problems against piercing/cutting attacks. Rayleigh only had time to teach Luffy the basics of Haki, so it's only natural that Luffy hasn't attained full mastery of it yet.

Gotta hand it to Hodi for being remarkably tough. Even though Luffy's attacks are weakened underwater, Hodi still keeps coming back for more. He's a resilient bastard.

Looking forward to discovering Hodi's "true form" and the history behind Noah's prophecy.
Old 2011-10-07, 12:58   Link #51
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
CoA or not, this chapter still reinforced that Luffy has problems against piercing/cutting attacks. Rayleigh only had time to teach Luffy the basics of Haki, so it's only natural that Luffy hasn't attained full mastery of it yet.

Gotta hand it to Hodi for being remarkably tough. Even though Luffy's attacks are weakened underwater, Hodi still keeps coming back for more. He's a resilient bastard.
Yeah, but Luffy mastering Haki 100% would be just so overpowered - I mean, literally nothing could hurt him but other top tier Haki users...

And poor Hody's getting kicked and punched around like a football , it's a miracle he's still breathing!
Old 2011-10-07, 13:37   Link #52
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post

Looking forward to discovering Hodi's "true form" and the history behind Noah's prophecy.
I thought his Armor Haki was pretty powerful. He managed to stop an axe that was thrown by Van Derdecken by using his own body as a shield. I'm sure he used Haki at that point. I think the main reasons he could block Hody bite was:
1) He was under water so it weakened him.
2) Hody's bite is already strong, plus with all those E. steroids, he only got stronger. So Luffy probably just wasn't strong enough in general to block it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
Yeah, but Luffy mastering Haki 100% would be just so overpowered - I mean, literally nothing could hurt him but other top tier Haki users...

And poor Hody's getting kicked and punched around like a football , it's a miracle he's still breathing!
Or unless someone's weapons were made out Sea Stone Prism like Commodore Smoker's Jute is. But even then, I'm not sure every Haki user has completely mastered all forms of Haki. I personally think that Rayleigh the most proficient user of all three.

Side question: What's everyone's favorite part about the New World Arc so far?
Old 2011-10-07, 13:54   Link #53
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
I thought his Armor Haki was pretty powerful. He managed to stop an axe that was thrown by Van Derdecken by using his own body as a shield. I'm sure he used Haki at that point. I think the main reasons he could block Hody bite was:
2) Hody's bite is already strong, plus with all those E. steroids, he only got stronger. So Luffy probably just wasn't strong enough in general to block it.

Or unless someone's weapons were made out Sea Stone Prism like Commodore Smoker's Jute is. But even then, I'm not sure every Haki user has completely mastered all forms of Haki. I personally think that Rayleigh the most proficient user of all three.

The fact that they still aren't in the New World...
Fishman Island is like the bridge from Paradise to New World but belongs to neither.
Old 2011-10-07, 20:53   Link #54
Undertaker

I have to second this, as much as I enjoy Fishermen Island it's about time for the real NW. Oda mentioned that SH would be in NW soon and that was almost 2 years ago.

To be honest I didn't think the Battle of Summit and Fishermen Island would take as long as they did. Both are great arc but I just can't wait for NW.

Though with this pace, I'm starting to worry about Oda ever finish this great series, I don't want to end up purchasing a complete Chinese version of Kanzenban or Aizoban when I'm 60 years old...
Old 2011-10-08, 03:15   Link #55
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:

Actually we don't know if it is because he hasn't mastered haki. It could merely be that his haki armour is not strong enough to take the bite's damage. The strength and mastery isn't necessarily related. If you think about it, attacks that are strong enough being able to penetrate Haki would be a great way to get around Haki being the only and strongest high level skills.

I'm also not sure whether the sea stone would be useful against a haki armour user. If the haki works as a real armour, then the stone would not be touching the person (unless he was carelesss or out maneovoured).
Old 2011-10-08, 04:26   Link #56
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
Actually we don't know if it is because he hasn't mastered haki. It could merely be that his haki armour is not strong enough to take the bite's damage. The strength and mastery isn't necessarily related. If you think about it, attacks that are strong enough being able to penetrate Haki would be a great way to get around Haki being the only and strongest high level skills.

I'm also not sure whether the sea stone would be useful against a haki armour user. If the haki works as a real armour, then the stone would not be touching the person (unless he was carelesss or out maneovoured).
Yes, that's true. But I'm sure there's really so much he could endure, even with his armor enabled. Like I said, Hody's new improved strength probably just over powered him.
And the Haki armor vs Sea Stone Prism really depends on the user of the Armor really. If it's some one not really well trained like Luffy was in the earlier episodes, then I'm sure it'd be easy to just hit the opponent with some sea stone at that point. But, I've the armor was used by a seasoned user like Rayleigh, then your right, the weapon wouldn't even touch him. This is proven in episode 516 when Rayleigh sent the giant elephant flying before he was even touched by the creature.

Now how about on the topic of Haki vs Haki(this being the Armor class). If two experienced users(Fighting on equal grounds, hypothetically speaking) of the Armor Haki, would the powers just cancel out. Assuming that each person's skill level of this version of Haki are the same.
Old 2011-10-08, 08:13   Link #57
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Yes, that's true. But I'm sure there's really so much he could endure, even with his armor enabled. Like I said, Hody's new improved strength probably just over powered him.
And the Haki armor vs Sea Stone Prism really depends on the user of the Armor really. If it's some one not really well trained like Luffy was in the earlier episodes, then I'm sure it'd be easy to just hit the opponent with some sea stone at that point. But, I've the armor was used by a seasoned user like Rayleigh, then your right, the weapon wouldn't even touch him. This is proven in episode 516 when Rayleigh sent the giant elephant flying before he was even touched by the creature.

Now how about on the topic of Haki vs Haki(this being the Armor class). If two experienced users(Fighting on equal grounds, hypothetically speaking) of the Armor Haki, would the powers just cancel out. Assuming that each person's skill level of this version of Haki are the same.
My guess is it would be just like conventional armour in the sense that they would just bump against each other till one of the armour or both breaks.

cancelling out would be rather weird and have the side effect of allowing a thrid party to disable the Haki of a fighter.
Old 2011-10-08, 09:43   Link #58
marvelB

So I was just rereading the past few chapters from the point where Hody overdosed himself and something occurred to me: I'm starting to believe that the power-up basically results in what can be considered the fish-people equivalent of an Awakened Zoan. I mean sure, appearance-wise the metamorphosis isn't as radical as we've seen with Chopper and the Impel Down guardians, but it seems to exhibit the same increased strength + resilience we've seen from the Zoans (albeit in an "artificial" form). And if that weren't enough, Hody's crew even referred to his and Hyouzou's overdosed forms as "awakened". So I dunno about anyone else, but this makes me believe more than ever that energy steroids are the by-product of a devil fruit (as it causes a similar "awakening" phenomenon)......
Old 2011-10-08, 10:01   Link #59
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
So I was just rereading the past few chapters from the point where Hody overdosed himself and something occurred to me: I'm starting to believe that the power-up basically results in what can be considered the fish-people equivalent of an Awakened Zoan. I mean sure, appearance-wise the metamorphosis isn't as radical as we've seen with Chopper and the Impel Down guardians, but it seems to exhibit the same increased strength + resilience we've seen from the Zoans (albeit in an "artificial" form). And if that weren't enough, Hody's crew even referred to his and Hyouzou's overdosed forms as "awakened". So I dunno about anyone else, but this makes me believe more than ever that energy steroids are the by-product of a devil fruit (as it causes a similar "awakening" phenomenon)......
I've never seen someone so dead-set on a theory and for a long time too xD
Old 2011-10-08, 10:01   Link #60
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Quote:
That could be a very big possibility. Sea stone prism gives of the same frequency as the Sea does, which is why it has an effect on devil fruit users. So maybe, the steroids give off a similar frequency as an awakened Zoan fruit does. Then again maybe not, just spurting out possibilities from what you said.
Closed Thread