AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-12-13, 15:50   Link #1
Kaychan

Exclamation Weakness of female characters

Okay, I don't mean to get all femi-nazi on the Naruto series, but I'm craving more strong female roles. It's cool and all that most of the main characters are guys with a lot of power and potential, but how about giving the spotlight and whoop-arse abilities to Sakura and some of the other laidies? Anyone see it my way?
Kaychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 16:35   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Are you by chance a manga reader? It would make things alot easier.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 16:52   Link #3
Kayess
Guy From Canada

It doesn't matter.. thread is not labeled manga... so we cannot talk about it
Kayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 16:53   Link #4
Kaychan

No, but maybe I should start!
Kaychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 16:57   Link #5
project myu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaychan
Okay, I don't mean to get all femi-nazi on the Naruto series, but I'm craving more strong female roles. It's cool and all that most of the main characters are guys with a lot of power and potential, but how about giving the spotlight and whoop-arse abilities to Sakura and some of the other laidies? Anyone see it my way?
What about Tsunade?
project myu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 17:25   Link #6
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

didn't we have this discussion in the 241 thread?
That was pretty interesting...

here! I got it:

241 Thread

starting with Genei killua's post on page 4 running to page 7/8

*edit*
Silly me, only usefull if you read the manga, which you don't.
Old 2004-12-13, 17:47   Link #7
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
didn't we have this discussion in the 241 thread?
That was pretty interesting...

here! I got it:

241 Thread

starting with Genei killua's post on page 4 running to page 7/8

*edit*
Silly me, only usefull if you read the manga, which you don't.
I had the same idea; that's why I asked if s/he reads the manga.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 18:13   Link #8
Casshern

Since you mentioned Sakura, she is a main character so chances are that she will not be left behind. In other words there probably wont be any other option but to make her stronger in order to at least stay in the same league as the other genins.

Alot of people have predicted that team 7 will get trained by their sannin counterparts. If that happens then Sakura will definitely become stronger.

As for the other females (genins and jounins), they are all already strong. Also, considering the nature of Naruto they will probably become even stronger. But I wouldn't expect any of them to become strong enough to beat a very powerfull male character. It all boils down to the fact that it's a shounen anime.

And since you're considering reading the manga, if you like the anime then I'm possitive you'll like the manga possibly even more.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 18:16   Link #9
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
*edited* nm
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 21:37   Link #10
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
Temari kicked major arse back in the chunin days. why do ppl no consider her as one of "those female ninjas"? Is it because she's waaay better than all the others that she's consider as one of the boys? hummm....
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 22:12   Link #11
Tea Master

I don't know if you guys know this but in Japan, women are not treated or thought of as equal to men. Of course, there are some exceptions but generally it's true.
Tea Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 22:45   Link #12
Bronwen Stx
Did you say something?

It's not something that can't be helped. Men are irrefutably stronger physically and mentally (well...mentally is questionable; see Sasuke, Itachi, Orochimaru, Jeraiya...lists goes on) because of testosterones...eh...unless for some god knows reason, one of the female characters becomes immortal? Or becomes another demon carrier?

They're also more interesting to watch...definitely more interesting. Watch them make fools out of themselves. I've got two brothers to provide evidence. Amusing lot those brothers are. Heh. Although I do crave more prominent female roles too.

But yeah, Temari, Tsunade and if you read the manga, another important character are considered 'strong' females.
Bronwen Stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 23:02   Link #13
Shrimpusmaximus

This is most definitly one of those debate the manga makes easier. THat said, to shed the light of gender equality on most young shonen shows is pointless. There is just too much girls vs. boys spirit in them, and I'm not talking about the american viewer who by in large seem to be older than the target audience. ON the shows and manga's aimed at a higher tier of viewers there is alot of gender equality and the argument is actually worth making.

For example, noir and its little clone madlax, both have for all intents and purposes all female casts, I can cite them as a counterargument, as they are both well shonen shows. Okay maybe they have a mixed audience but you have to admit, the whole naked women with guns thing screams shonen.

I would also like to point out that a good deal of the shows that are aimed specifically at women have incredebly low woman counts. Ex. Weiss Kreuz, and the Gundam Wing.

The thing that I love about the whole anime/manga thing is there is so much choice involved that you get to make the decision whether you enjoy the show and since there is such a breadth of quality shows, the ones previously mentions, save noir, not withstanding it isn't really fair to ask such questions. The show must be evaluted by your desire to keep watching it.

That said, I think that naruto is bad but far from the worst. There are several good females, Temari, my fav, Tayuya, Tsunage, Tshizune (sorry, couldn' help myself with the whole T thing) and the series doesn't hate women and relegate them to the healer only role, the healers in narto fight too...... yeah I knwo that last point was weak.

Anyhoo if you want good mature gender equal entertainment then its not to hard to find. Blade of the Immortal, Berserk, if you think being eaten is better than rape and that being demon is a bad thing... well maybe not berserk, but slayers.... yeah slayers is good and so is Scrapped Princess and well you get the picture.
Shrimpusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 23:06   Link #14
Zek
Eyebrows...

I think most of the complaints of female weakness stem primarily from the Konoha rookies. Sakura and Ino are both terrible ninjas compared to anyone else in the series, and Hinata receives such little coverage when she isn't fawning over Naruto that it's pretty hard to say that she's strong.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 23:15   Link #15
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen Stx
It's not something that can't be helped. Men are irrefutably stronger physically and mentally
They are not stronger mentally, they just have different advantages.

(women multitask better, men focus on a single target better, women recognize and
read faces better, men understand spatial relations better, etc)
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 10:39   Link #16
Yogi

It's probably because the manga was made for boys. Therefore, the males will be the strongest characters and the females are made to be supporting characters to be rescued. Out of all the named female characters, only two of them do not suck (three if you count Anime filler). Out of all the named male characters, only ONE (possibly two) of them suck.

By "suck" I mean "Pretty much useless in terms of accomplishing anything and exist just for the purpose of being kidnapped/beaten up to furthur the plot."
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 16:07   Link #17
rorosama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerniciousJuJu
Temari kicked major arse back in the chunin days. why do ppl no consider her as one of "those female ninjas"? Is it because she's waaay better than all the others that she's consider as one of the boys? hummm....
I think people forget about her strength is because unlike most of the other main females in naruto, she lacks personality. Her strength is all she and kankuro have! Also tsunade and shizune kick ass. Even thogh shizune got beat up by kabuto kakashi was a lil scared of him so give she gets some credit.
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 16:31   Link #18
Zek
Eyebrows...

I don't see how Temari's character(or any character, for that matter) could possibly be considered less deep than Ino, Sakura and Tenten.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 00:06   Link #19
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosama
I think people forget about her strength is because unlike most of the other main females in naruto, she lacks personality. Her strength is all she and kankuro have! Also tsunade and shizune kick ass. Even thogh shizune got beat up by kabuto kakashi was a lil scared of him so give she gets some credit.
That's it! I was wondering why I just couldn't get into Temari's character. She just seems kind of...there. Sure, she can be powerful, but she just doesn't stand out. The only one in Gaara's group that does is, uh, Gaara. Kankuro...half the time I can't even remember his name. Even Sakura, who everyone thinks is stupid, loud, and annoying is much more appealing to me.

I'm not saying I don't like Temari. I'm just saying that she doesn't do anything for me really at all.
Ashi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 01:00   Link #20
brassmonkey

hmm i like shizune, she's always freaking out and panicking, its really funny
brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote