Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-30, 21:21   Link #241
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Bwahahahahahaha!

Anyone in the USA who was trying to avoid Olympic coverage today of swimming events just had at least one event spoiled because of a commercial for The Today Show on NBC about 5 minutes before NBC showed the race in its entirety. LOL

Oh, NBC...
Having seen stuff already during the day... I am barely paying attention to this prime time stuff. If anything, I'm just watching to see how the US screwed up Gymnastics. That, and the BS Japan pulled today.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 21:41   Link #242
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just an Update on the Medal Count
Medal Standing by Rank, Country, etc.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 21:42   Link #243
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
*Sigh*

What is it with all those strange calls whenever Korea comes up?
Judo, fencing, swimming (well Park did get silver eventually), and bs yellow card from football yesterday.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Not much luck in London so far.
Old 2012-07-30, 21:56   Link #244
Sumeragi
Banned

Well, Morganella was kicked out of the team for his racist tweet after the game. I suppose it's karma.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:04   Link #245
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Just an Update on the Medal Count
Medal Standing by Rank, Country, etc.
LOL @ Britain for winning at a rate of 1 medal per day. Makes you wonder which single event will Britain earn another medal.
Old 2012-07-30, 22:20   Link #246
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Wow, poor Japan with so many not golds ;___; 1 gold out of 11 medals just seems rage inducing.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:28   Link #247
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
You're country are lucky... look at the Philippines....

But hopes are still up... Even one gold medal is something to be proud of.

*crying...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 22:55   Link #248
Alchemist007
*Author

Wow Japan lucked out with that inquiry in gymnastics. Good for them though.
Old 2012-07-31, 00:21   Link #249
Tom Bombadil

Nice score placement.

Old 2012-07-31, 00:35   Link #250
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

(This applies to the last several years, too) Does anyone suspect that China isn't just raking in medals solely because they have good athletes but also because some government officials really put the pressure on them? Almost like, "do good or you'll be sorry"? Is it wrong to suspect that? I mean, I know prestige is really important to China and the Chinese gov't would pressure people for their image. I don't want to offend anyone and the athletes are talented, but has anyone ever thought that could be a possibility? Like, their athletes would be practicing extra hard because their stakes are even higher. I'm really not trying to offend anyone, it is just that, I've seen people discuss that possibility back in the Beijing Olympics, and it made me wonder, what if that were the case with things behind the scenes?

Something that kind of lends to this suspicion; look at Beijing 2008 with the questionably aged athletes for some events. There is an age requirement of 16 or over, and some Chinese athletes (women's gymnastics) at Beijing definitely didn't look as old as 16, or 15 for that matter.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-07-31 at 00:47.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 01:20   Link #251
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Wow Japan lucked out with that inquiry in gymnastics. Good for them though.
Inquiry? Do you have a link to it?
Old 2012-07-31, 01:29   Link #252
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Nice score placement.

hahahahahaha.. wonder what the ladies thought about this.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 02:09   Link #253
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
(This applies to the last several years, too) Does anyone suspect that China isn't just raking in medals solely because they have good athletes but also because some government officials really put the pressure on them? Almost like, "do good or you'll be sorry"? Is it wrong to suspect that? I mean, I know prestige is really important to China and the Chinese gov't would pressure people for their image. I don't want to offend anyone and the athletes are talented, but has anyone ever thought that could be a possibility? Like, their athletes would be practicing extra hard because their stakes are even higher. I'm really not trying to offend anyone, it is just that, I've seen people discuss that possibility back in the Beijing Olympics, and it made me wonder, what if that were the case with things behind the scenes?

Something that kind of lends to this suspicion; look at Beijing 2008 with the questionably aged athletes for some events. There is an age requirement of 16 or over, and some Chinese athletes (women's gymnastics) at Beijing definitely didn't look as old as 16, or 15 for that matter.
I would hope all athletes try their best regardless of whether they have guns pointed at their heads. Also, I don't think that threats are particularly good motivators for greatness, they might motivate upgrade from poor to mediocre, or mediocre to good, but from good to great, I think that requires some other motivation source, like brainwashed patriotism. "Please do your best to bring glory to our awesome nation," + massive patriotism rather than "Do your best or else."

Also, on the topic of questionably aged gymasts. Lolis are awesome, why are you complaining.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 02:57   Link #254
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Am very proud of my countryman, Lee Chong Wei. It's his last chance to compete in the Olympics. I will be rooting for him in his epic fight with Lin Dan.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:08   Link #255
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I would hope all athletes try their best regardless of whether they have guns pointed at their heads. Also, I don't think that threats are particularly good motivators for greatness, they might motivate upgrade from poor to mediocre, or mediocre to good, but from good to great, I think that requires some other motivation source, like brainwashed patriotism. "Please do your best to bring glory to our awesome nation," + massive patriotism rather than "Do your best or else."

Also, on the topic of questionably aged gymasts. Lolis are awesome, why are you complaining.
To clarify some things, for starters, China does have many talented athletes at this Olympics. Also, I got this idea from the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and not from myself, but from what I've seen people discuss in some 2008 Olympic threads back then (I believe even in the Beijing Olympics thread here at Anime Suki). Just really don't wanna offend anyone by bringing up this suspicion.

Yeah, I think their government could have made a real effort to find talented athletes in their country and then prepare them for the Olympic games in the name of prestige, and the 'threats' aren't anything grave or dire, but what I'd speculate is it would be some considerable amount of pressure relative to it just being the Olympics games (mixed with the high levels of patriotism like you mentioned).

North Korea got three gold medals last time I checked, and considering North Korea's status as a nation right now, and the status of their government, I would think their government has applied pressure to their athletes and that is mixed with big patriotism as well. I'm thinking with these two countries, the threats aren't dire, like I said, it might be something like (to speak in an analogy) "Do poorly and you'll get demoted" as opposed to "Do poorly and you'll be fired!".
Old 2012-07-31, 03:44   Link #256
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
LOL @ Britain for winning at a rate of 1 medal per day. Makes you wonder which single event will Britain earn another medal.
I pay more attention to the medal table at the end of the Olympics. We (GB) only had 1 medal after 3 days in Beijing.

Just saying

Regardless, whether it's Gold, Silver, Bronze or not at all, Team GB will do the country proud
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:45   Link #257
Kyuu
=^^=

So. Whose body type are you most similar to?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139

Simple. Input your height/weight. Then you get matched up with an athelete(s) of similar build.
Old 2012-07-31, 05:36   Link #258
tomtkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Am very proud of my countryman, Lee Chong Wei. It's his last chance to compete in the Olympics. I will be rooting for him in his epic fight with Lin Dan.
Rooting for Lee Chong Wei as well.

Also rooting for Koo/Tan for a medal here. No matter what colour.
Old 2012-07-31, 05:39   Link #259
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

The heck happened to the USA (male) gymnastics team?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 06:02   Link #260
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
North Korea got three gold medals last time I checked, and considering North Korea's status as a nation right now, and the status of their government, I would think their government has applied pressure to their athletes and that is mixed with big patriotism as well. I'm thinking with these two countries, the threats aren't dire, like I said, it might be something like (to speak in an analogy) "Do poorly and you'll get demoted" as opposed to "Do poorly and you'll be fired!".
I'm pretty proud of NK athletes for doing so well. Then again, my dad says they'll probably be sent away to toil in the mines or something if they don't perform well so you're probably right about the "pressure from government" part

Like Sumeragi I'm really pissed off by the judges' calls for S. Korea in judo, wimming and especially fencing... I mean, wtf...

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2012-07-31 at 06:59.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics