AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-05, 12:52   Link #1621
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Yeah, it's been bugging me as well. York Shin needs no filler. The only addition I've liked thus far was the first scene with Hisoka and Chrollo in this episode. Otherwise the anime original material has been pure padding. I can only guess that it's because Togashi's work is on hiatus again (I've always assumed that this new adaptation of questionable necessity was partially a way of motivating him to get back to work and finally finish the damn story), but they still have about 267 chapters left until they catch up with the manga, so it's annoying that they're already resorting to padding, especially in the best arc in the series.

But oh well. I think this episode didn't have as many needless creative liberties as the previous ones, so who knows, maybe things will get better as we progress further into the arc.
Filler is understandable. My gripe is deleting scenes from the manga. In two episodes I was disappointed to not have two of my most anticipated scenes from the early YN episodes: the competition between Gon & Killua and Leoreo's haggling.

I complained about that with Nippon's adaptation and I will keep complaining about if Madhouse kept doing this.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 13:58   Link #1622
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Filler is understandable. My gripe is deleting scenes from the manga. In two episodes I was disappointed to not have two of my most anticipated scenes from the early YN episodes: the competition between Gon & Killua and Leoreo's haggling.

I complained about that with Nippon's adaptation and I will keep complaining about if Madhouse kept doing this.
When adapting a story to a different medium there are bound to be changes. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a good example of this, even though it sticks closer to the manga it took things out which removed things which the director felt strayed from the core story of Ed and Al and I prefer Brotherhood over the manga as a result

Madhouse is doing the same thing, we got the general idea that Leorio haggled those phones through Killua's line about receiving applause instead. I liked the filler stuff MH added because it relates to other plot points in this arc like Hisoka staring with glee at Chrollo which has great importance later in this arc. Being faithful isn't always necessarily better and I'm saying this even though I prefer this remake over the 99 version! Don't get me wrong though, Togashi is a great storyteller which is why this arc in particular got popular in the first place. As long as they don't take things out that detract from the core points of this arc or the filler is there for the sake of filler then I have no problem with Madhouse.

The competition scene was fun and all but it doesn't really add to the arc other than that Gon and Killua are still kids in this messed up world, in my opinion but that might be just me.
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 14:42   Link #1623
noktown

Quote:

As much as some of it annoys me as well,it's also understandable,since no Director is going to copy/paste manga material directly.

Also they take out mostly minor stuff which may seem important to you,but not to them.

They probably have a plan for each episode and they might have even animated the parts you wanted to see,but in the end the scene had to be shortened/changed/removed to fit into the plan of a 20 minutes episode.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 22:43   Link #1624
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The Dark Sonata sounds like it was loosely based on the real life urban legend of the song Gloomy Sunday, which became infamously known as the Hungarian Suicide Song for it's supposedly causing people who listened to it to commit suicide shortly after.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 00:16   Link #1625
VnsFurs

This really was a wonderful episode.
MH has taken a rather startling slip in quality since this arc has begun, which is a shame, but they seem to be coming back. Only time will tell, I suppose.
The next episode should be interesting.
VnsFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 00:38   Link #1626
Kmos

Argh! I also wanted more of the Leorio haggling scene and what happened afterward. It's one of his abilities! Really looking forward to upcoming epis.

Spoiler for Recounting my experience with 'meat market':
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 18:15   Link #1627
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Minor cuts aren't really an issue to me. It's hard for me to fault Madhouse from omitting Gon and Killua's competition/a few of Leorio's lines because:

A. Those scenes aren't important to the series as a whole.
B. The older adaptation removed many more important scenes.

42 was fantastic. Madhouse is doing an amazing job. The conversation between Kurapika and Melody; Gon armwrestling Shizuku; Hisoka's silent scene...all very tense and well done.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 01:26   Link #1628
chikkychappy

toto-chan,

what do you think of madhouse altering the introduction of the ryodan? and how did the last episode compare to 99? ^_____^

Last edited by chikkychappy; 2012-08-09 at 04:24.
chikkychappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 03:30   Link #1629
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Hm.. I do agree that changing or omitting scenes shouldn't be judged as harshly as long as the story and the characters remain intact compared to the source material. I can't fault people for wanting to see the missing scenes though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 09:29   Link #1630
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkychappy View Post
toto-chan,

what do you think of madhouse altering the introduction of the ryodan? and how did the last episode compare to 99? ^_____^
I think that the filler scenes involving the Troupe in 41 were good...they introduced everyone's name for the audience's sake. And it's not like it was some massive alteration either, since the ending of the episode featured the manga material as is.

42 was better than its counterpart in 1999.
Old 2012-08-09, 17:30   Link #1631
SHINOBI-03

A word about the "darkness" in Nippon's adaptation:

So, a common complaint about Nippon's adaptation's fans about the new one is the brightness and how they always say the older series was better because it wasn't bright. Well guess what... the dark colors issue is a lie!

The dark tone of the old adaptation was not intentional and was not a choice by the staff. The reason why the colors look faded out is because the films were not remastered for DVD. The DVD masters were the same as the VHS masters back then and didn't get an intensive remastering process like what they do nowadays for older films.

The difference in color is obvious if you go back and compare the DVD masters to the original cels.

Here's an example. This is a shot from the DVD:

And this is the original cel:

You can obviously tell there's a vast difference in brightness and level of details.

To find out more of the difference between the cels and film masters, go visit the following websites (May contain spoilers for new viewer):
http://sd2cx1.webring.org/l/rd?ring=...2fhxhcel%2ehtm
http://www.rubberslug.com/gallery/tag/hunter-x-hunter/

Credit goes to xScar for the info.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:13   Link #1632
chikkychappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I think that the filler scenes involving the Troupe in 41 were good...they introduced everyone's name for the audience's sake. And it's not like it was some massive alteration either, since the ending of the episode featured the manga material as is.

42 was better than its counterpart in 1999.
toto-chan not even trying to pretend to be honest or fair anymore. it's ok, i never expected any better.

@shinobi
what are you even trying to get at? so the cels are drawn brighter, sowhat? do you really think someone as experienced as furuhashi is ignorant of this remastering process? do you honestly think he was all, "oooh i envision the hxh tv series to look as bright as in the cel drawings! OH WAIT OMGZ WHAT HAPPENED, HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME THAT THE COLORS WILL BE FADED OUT AND NOT LOOK LIKE THE CELS! SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THIS DARK COLOR SCHEME? HUHUHU. I'M SUCH AN EXPERIENCED DIRECTOR WHO DID YOU'RE UNDER ARREST, RUROUNI KENSHIN TV AND THE MOTHERFUCKING RUROUNI KENSHIN OVA AND I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA!!!"

please don't try to justify 2011's brighter color scheme using 1999's cel drawings because it's a dumb argument. don't also dare claim that the faded-out look was a complete accident because it wasn't. even if the cels are brighter than the final product, i'm quite sure the staff are AWARE of what the final look is and yet decided to proceed with it. so just stop making excuses. what matters is the final result, final result, FINAL RESULT.

Last edited by chikkychappy; 2012-08-10 at 05:13.
Old 2012-08-09, 22:49   Link #1633
Vicious108

Quote:
A word about the "darkness" in Nippon's adaptation:

So, a common complaint about Nippon's adaptation's fans about the new one is the brightness and how they always say the older series was better because it wasn't bright. Well guess what... the dark colors issue is a lie!

The dark tone of the old adaptation was not intentional and was not a choice by the staff. The reason why the colors look faded out is because the films were not remastered for DVD. The DVD masters were the same as the VHS masters back then and didn't get an intensive remastering process like what they do nowadays for older films.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd like to think that, like myself, when people praise the original anime's "darkness", they're referring to the presentation and lighting rather than the brightness level. Here's a clear cut comparison which should illustrate what I mean well enough:

Spoiler for Killua and Illumi in both anime adaptations:

As you can see, no original cel would change that clearly intentional artistic difference.

So yeah, the remastering thing does not undo what I liked about the way the original anime directed the material at all. The low brightness might indeed have been entirely accidental, but in the end it doesn't matter, because what made the original anime great was its intended stylistic choice to amp up the atmosphere with a distinct presentation and lighting.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 23:13   Link #1634
chikkychappy

i forgot to add, shinobi also seems to imply that the remastering thing is unique to hxh tv series which is why it is such an "accident."

uhm no, it's not. it's the NORM back then. if you look at the cels of other 90s series they were also brighter than the final output. it was industry practice, the staff are aware of the final look of hxh tv series so no it wasn't an accident.

it's like make-up and photo shoot. it's a well-known fact that flash photography takes a way a certain % of the make-up color. so what do you when you're in a photoshoot? make the colors more vibrant than usual to capture your desired look. if you want bright pink, you make it really bright pink. if you want rich red, you spam yourself with a lot of redness to compensate for the loss of color due to flash.

it's the same here. experienced staff are aware of the remastering process. if they wanted the cels to look as bright as it is in the cel we see now, then they would have made the cels even brighter to compensate for the colors lost during remastering. (they're not dumb you know.) that's why i said what matters is the final result. no buts, no excuses.

but w/e, desperate argument is desperate.

Last edited by chikkychappy; 2012-08-10 at 05:20.
Old 2012-08-09, 23:15   Link #1635
leokiko

That's about the only complain I've been making ever since episode 16
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 09:14   Link #1636
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
toto-chan not even trying to pretend to be honest or fair anymore. it's ok, i never expected any better.
lol, wat? You asked for my opinion--I gave it to you. Just because I don't share the same view as you doesn't mean that I'm being dishonest.

Quote:
i forgot to add, shinobi also seems to imply that the remastering thing is unique to hxh tv series which is why it is such an "accident."

uhm no, it's not. it's the NORM back then. if you look at the cels of other 90s series they were also brighter than the final output. it was industry practice, the staff are aware of the final look of hxh tv series so no it wasn't an accident.

it's like make-up and photo shoot. it's a well-known fact that flash photography takes a way a certain % of the make-up color. so what do you when you're in a photoshoot? make the colors more vibrant than usual to capture your desired look. if you want bright pink, you make it really bright pink. if you want rich red, you spam yourself with a lot of redness to compensate for the loss of color due to flash.

it's the same here. experienced staff are aware of the remastering process. if they wanted the cels to look as bright as it is in the cel we see now, then they would have made the cels even brighter to compensate for the colors lost during remastering. (they're not dumb you know.) that's why i said what matters is the final result. no buts, no excuses.

but w/e, desperate argument is desperate.
But the Greed Island OVAs use the exact same colors used on the cels--without the washed-out effect. It's obvious that those colors were what Nippon Animation intended. If the series had been remastered a la "Dragon Box," the result would end up looking just like those cels. Unfortunately, Nippon Animation got rid of all the cels prior to putting the episodes on DVD.
Old 2012-08-11, 23:37   Link #1637
leokiko

DAT pool of blood
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:37   Link #1638
whitecloud

episode 43.....AWESOME......enough said next stop kurapika prepare for nen battle i guess?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 00:42   Link #1639
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Fantastically over the top performance by Ootsuka Akio there.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 00:54   Link #1640
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

lol the censorship is almost non-existent on this episode
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen