AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 21 15.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 28 20.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 42 30.43%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 17.39%
6 out of 10 : Average... 13 9.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-14, 13:42   Link #201
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Take "the guidebook" for example. As far as I can recall, it has never been mentioned in SAO again since Agil discussed it in episode 2. I would think that this "bible" would play a regular and important part in SAO, but it's never been mentioned again.
Why would the guidebook have any relevance once the players get beyond the highest floor cleared in the beta test?

Quote:
A more troubling example comes from Episode 6, where we learn that if you are friends with someone you can see where they are located. This is immediately important to locating Yuuko. Oddly, this ability didn't seem to exist in Episode 3 when the Black Cats didn't know where Sachi went, which makes me think the author just needed something that would allow Kirito to know Yuuko's location and invented this ability for the sole purpose of driving the plot for this one story.
No actually

Spoiler for The side story Red Nosed Reindeer:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 13:45   Link #202
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Light Novel Information about Kirito & PKers:

Quote:
It took alot of time for the explanation because you read it. From those 15 minutes reading on LN, you can actually gain the same value of explanation from a 5 minutes explanation, you just think LN took alot of time because the brain proccess a read material longer than visual ones.
I read incredibly fast my friend.. Faster than any person on screen can speak. Specifically, they cut out an entire section of dialogue poking holes in Grimlock's excuses before he collapsed and admitted his guilt. So that's not right either.

Quote:
It's partly because some people were actually thinking/hoping SAO is similar to .hack// that they were hoping for an action-driven plot, while if you read the introduction of SAO itself it clearly says that you are trapped in the game and if you die ingame, you die for real.
To be honest, I don't remember .hack//sign having that much action at all. Tsukasa was terrible at fighting and there was like.. no or limited actual magic showing up in that game, which was odd.. considering all the staff users and weak and frail characters going into melee combat..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 13:54   Link #203
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
With respect to to Chekhov's gun, my point is that many of the facts disclosed in SAO are immediately important to drive the plot of a specific episode, and then seem to never matter again, unlike a situation where a fact introduced several episodes prior takes on a new relevance in a later episode.

Take "the guidebook" for example. As far as I can recall, it has never been mentioned in SAO again since Agil discussed it in episode 2. I would think that this "bible" would play a regular and important part in SAO, but it's never been mentioned again.
Well, the guidebook was made with info from the beta. Which only went up 10 levels or so.

Quote:
A more troubling example comes from Episode 6, where we learn that if you are friends with someone you can see where they are located. This is immediately important to locating Yuuko. Oddly, this ability didn't seem to exist in Episode 3 when the Black Cats didn't know where Sachi went, which makes me think the author just needed something that would allow Kirito to know Yuuko's location and invented this ability for the sole purpose of driving the plot for this one story.
Yeah. The anime didn't explain but, while you can locate your friends, if they don't want to be found, there are ways for them to hide.
Spoiler for novel RNR:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 14:06   Link #204
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
To be honest, I don't remember .hack//sign having that much action at all. Tsukasa was terrible at fighting and there was like.. no or limited actual magic showing up in that game, which was odd.. considering all the staff users and weak and frail characters going into melee combat..
I'm going to have to agree with this. While .hack//sign did captivat me with its music and overall character interactions there wasn't much going on. Also when we did get action it was very short lived.
Old 2012-08-14, 17:54   Link #205
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, I guess that's the difference; I quite like the story even the way it is now. Wouldn't bother me that much if it stayed this way to the end... but I understand and respect your different perspective.

(And to the point about elements being brought up in side stories that didn't matter in other side stories... yeah, I guess I can see that. Perhaps that does reflect the way the stories were originally written and wasn't translated to anime quite as well as it could have been. But I do suspect that all of the individual pieces will matter later in the story... but again, this is only my guess. Perhaps it too is because I know a larger story is coming.)
I guess my overall complaint is that the first episode highlighted this massiveness of Aincrad both in story and visual content (views of vistas, etc.), but then the following episodes quickly went very small-scale. I'm just looking forward to the world "opening up" again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Why would the guidebook have any relevance once the players get beyond the highest floor cleared in the beta test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, the guidebook was made with info from the beta. Which only went up 10 levels or so.
From the anime, the way I understood the guidebook was that the Beta testers got together after SAO went live and created the guidebook to help the noobs. An in-game wiki, if you will. Regardless if I'm not mistaken, Aincrad does have newspapers, which would seem to serve the same function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako
actually [the LN explains it]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah. The anime didn't explain but, [the LN explained it]
Of course, the problem with this is that as an anime-only viewer you don't know this, and you can only form your opinion from what the anime presents to you. If the LN explains it, that's great for the LN, but it really doesn't mean anything when criticizing the way the anime tells the story.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 19:00   Link #206
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I'm going to have to agree with this. While .hack//sign did captivat me with its music and overall character interactions there wasn't much going on. Also when we did get action it was very short lived.
Their basic setting of most events happening is a game of action.Even if they have talks or alot of interactions, their basic settings is still action(I'm pointing out my point at the concept which makes people think that SAO is action-based anime). In SAO the fighting/action itself is a supplementary to the story.
Old 2012-08-14, 19:39   Link #207
Adigard

Quote:
From the anime, the way I understood the guidebook was that the Beta testers got together after SAO went live and created the guidebook to help the noobs. An in-game wiki, if you will. Regardless if I'm not mistaken, Aincrad does have newspapers, which would seem to serve the same function.
Part of the problem I think we're having is... in the early portions the information from the beta would be super critical for... well... everyone. Considering how few people showed up for the first boss battle and how long it took to actually defeat the first boss.

Compare that to the current speed / pace, where we ~seem~ to be clearing a floor every (someone did the math) 9-10 days. The front liners no longer seem to care about the middle floor players. Remember none of the front line clearers (other than Kirito) seemed to care that the Titan's Hand guild was PK'ing mid-level player's. Kirito and Asuno were only involved with the Murder case because it happened (apparently) on the front-line floor.

As an aside, why does everyone scream for more front-line activity, but a two ep arc set on the front-lines get ignored? Do people really want to watch a bunch of MMO player's grind mobs?

After a year+ the number of mid-level player's joining the front line ranks is probably rather small. Large guilds probably support their own members (if such a thing happens, since our setting is from a solo perspective it's hard to know) and help their members advance to the front lines... but mid-level guilds with mid-level members probably have no real plans of pushing into the front-lines.

So the push to share minutiae with the playerbase as a whole seems... lacking? I'd imagine the newspaper was full of more "so and so did something cool" rather than a traveler's guide to the newest floors.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 19:53   Link #208
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Part of the problem I think we're having is... in the early portions the information from the beta would be super critical for... well... everyone. Considering how few people showed up for the first boss battle and how long it took to actually defeat the first boss.

Compare that to the current speed / pace, where we ~seem~ to be clearing a floor every (someone did the math) 9-10 days. The front liners no longer seem to care about the middle floor players. Remember none of the front line clearers (other than Kirito) seemed to care that the Titan's Hand guild was PK'ing mid-level player's. Kirito and Asuno were only involved with the Murder case because it happened (apparently) on the front-line floor.

As an aside, why does everyone scream for more front-line activity, but a two ep arc set on the front-lines get ignored? Do people really want to watch a bunch of MMO player's grind mobs?

After a year+ the number of mid-level player's joining the front line ranks is probably rather small. Large guilds probably support their own members (if such a thing happens, since our setting is from a solo perspective it's hard to know) and help their members advance to the front lines... but mid-level guilds with mid-level members probably have no real plans of pushing into the front-lines.

So the push to share minutiae with the playerbase as a whole seems... lacking? I'd imagine the newspaper was full of more "so and so did something cool" rather than a traveler's guide to the newest floors.
Murder's Case happens at mid-level floors(around 50ish I forgot where exactly). Also the newspapers are only consist of rumors from a player to another(mouth to mouth) that is gathered into a media page.
Old 2012-08-14, 20:06   Link #209
Adigard

Quote:
Murder's Case happens at mid-level floors(around 50ish I forgot where exactly).
citation needed?

Just because it occurs on the 59th floor doesn't mean it's not the front lines...
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 20:34   Link #210
zaz122

Quote:
citation needed?

Just because it occurs on the 59th floor doesn't mean it's not the front lines...
It should be the front lines if we were to go by the rate of 10-15 days a floor. I guess that's why the author changed it from 57 (the novel) to 59 (the anime) to make it fit with the 10-15 day floor clearing rate.
zaz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 21:12   Link #211
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
I'm sure the guide had some general n00b tips in it. But by episode 3 we're already a year into the game -- anyone who still needs the guide at that point is probably dead.

Quote:
Of course, the problem with this is that as an anime-only viewer you don't know this, and you can only form your opinion from what the anime presents to you. If the LN explains it, that's great for the LN, but it really doesn't mean anything when criticizing the way the anime tells the story.
Except you didn't make a claim about the anime. You said, "[that] makes me think the author just needed something that would allow Kirito to know Yuuko's location and invented this ability for the sole purpose of driving the plot for this one story." That's a statement about the source material.

If you want to claim that within the anime this was a plot-hole, fine, but you can't make a claim about Kawahara making stuff up without thinking it through unless you've read the novels.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 00:17   Link #212
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
citation needed?

Indeed the front lines are at 59th floor at that time, but the case itself happens at 57th floor so no it's not in the front lines
Old 2012-08-15, 02:06   Link #213
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

It didn't, and it doesn't matter - it happened in a city, where it shouldn't be possible. That's what mattered to them, because it could affect Aincrad as a whole, including the front lines.

Worst case scenario: it's an ability to PK in town, but you can't do anything to the PKer because of the crime prevention code.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 02:14   Link #214
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yup, I agree. Some people were hoping for an action-driven plot, whereas instead we have a character-driven plot with action elements. It's still really "plot", just not the plot some where hoping for.

Yeah, I guess that's the difference; I quite like the story even the way it is now. Wouldn't bother me that much if it stayed this way to the end... but I understand and respect your different perspective.

(And to the point about elements being brought up in side stories that didn't matter in other side stories... yeah, I guess I can see that. Perhaps that does reflect the way the stories were originally written and wasn't translated to anime quite as well as it could have been. But I do suspect that all of the individual pieces will matter later in the story... but again, this is only my guess. Perhaps it too is because I know a larger story is coming.)
Please clarify how this show is considered character-driven? None of the main characters have changed at all (which is how I'd define character-driven).
If anything, this show is slice-of-life/random events in SAO.

I haven't read the novel, but if there is somehow some relevant point to all these side-stories (which people keep insisting on), it's that the dead will probably come back again, since death is the only common theme all of them and how there are ways to being back the dead (or come back as a ghost...?).

If beast tamers, loli fanserivce, exploitive PK mechanics, or PK guilds become relevant in how they beat the game, count me surprised!
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 02:22   Link #215
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Please clarify how this show is considered character-driven? None of the main characters have changed at all (which is how I'd define character-driven).
If anything, this show is slice-of-life/random events in SAO.

I haven't read the novel, but if there is somehow some relevant point to all these side-stories (which people keep insisting on), it's that the dead will probably come back again, since death is the only common theme all of them and how there are ways to being back the dead (or come back as a ghost...?).

If beast tamers, loli fanserivce, exploitive PK mechanics, or PK guilds become relevant in how they beat the game, count me surprised!
The story progresses from Kirito's point of view in addition to a third person point of view, it tells us about Kirito's personal experience which make it a character-driven

The SS have some relevance as the people that has interacted or helped by Kirito will show up again in later episodes
Old 2012-08-15, 02:51   Link #216
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
The story progresses from Kirito's point of view in addition to a third person point of view, it tells us about Kirito's personal experience which make it a character-driven

The SS have some relevance as the people that has interacted or helped by Kirito will show up again in later episodes
I consider the (main) story being about trying to win the game. Except for episode 1 & 2, the story has "progressed" off-screen, since ep 3 - 6 had nothing to do with being in the front line (except the intro of ep 4), which is where the story should be.

Also, I feel like a fool, but what does SS stand for? (EDIT: Side story?)
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 02:52   Link #217
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Even if it takes a first person narrative, I think it's closer to be a plot-driven story rather than character-driven. Character-driven stories focus on the characters themselves and their inner-problems, with events unfolding because of the characters. Madoka and F/Zero is excellent recent example of this

So far, SAO's character developments focus around events. The characters are driven by the events or the plot.
Old 2012-08-15, 03:02   Link #218
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
I consider the (main) story being about trying to win the game. Except for episode 1 & 2, the story has "progressed" off-screen, since ep 3 - 6 had nothing to do with being in the front line (except the intro of ep 4), which is where the story should be.

Also, I feel like a fool, but what does SS stand for? (EDIT: Side story?)
Can't blame you for thinking like that since the timeline of events isn't mentioned on the anime. But since this anime is based on the LN version, the anime can't show anything which isn't shown on the LN as the main source itself. Also yah, SS is Side Story xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Even if it takes a first person narrative, I think it's closer to be a plot-driven story rather than character-driven. Character-driven stories focus on the characters themselves and their inner-problems, with events unfolding because of the characters. Madoka and F/Zero is excellent recent example of this

So far, SAO's character developments focus around events. The characters are driven by the events or the plot.
We get to see Kirito(as MC) inner problems in the case with Sachi. In the later episodes events will be folding because of Kirito's decision. At this point you may see it as a plot-driven, but when you see the full story as a whole it's clearly a character-driven one
Old 2012-08-15, 03:13   Link #219
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Surely you jest. The entire story has been tracking Kirito's character development over the course of his progress in the game. We've seen him progress from a self-exiled loner to his first lasting friend, having gone through many trials along the way. We also track the story of Asuna, who started the story with not a clue of how MMORPGs worked, working her way up to a key leadership position in the frontlines, and then how Kirito started to win over her duty-driven heart.

They may not have totally revolutionized themselves over these six episodes, but I think they and their perspectives have changed a fair bit since day one. They have been developing the key characters while introducing us to various system and game mechanics that form the basis of this game.

Quote:

They have introduced dozens of systems and mechanics over these episodes that are all rather foundational to understanding the way the SAO game works. I should think that they will all continue to play a role in some capacity going forward, not to mention the friendship that was forged in this recent arc.

This is almost like some sort of nihilism: "it's all meaningless!" I have a bit more faith in the writers than you do, I guess.

Quote:
That's the plot premise, but I think the main story is whatever the anime shows us, and we can't really determine that until we see it play out. So far, at least, the anime hasn't suggested that the frontlines themselves are really the most important thing, but rather the impact on the characters of living in this "death game" world.
Old 2012-08-15, 03:26   Link #220
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I'm sure the guide had some general n00b tips in it. But by episode 3 we're already a year into the game -- anyone who still needs the guide at that point is probably dead.
They still need guides to each floor, to ensure people know what to expect else mid-level guys would be under the same dangers as frontliners. Except more, cause they wouldn't be as skilled at deducing what to do and not to do.

Much more likely is that since there's a gradient of players involved, the clearing groups would no doubt have friends, guild members, etc, that were almost ready but not quite. Information would easily be passed on and as it trickles down someone compiles guides for the masses.