AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-02-14, 00:49   Link #101
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
Timing is quite a chore, but it's still a lot faster than translating in my humble opinion.

But Quarkboy has a point. We'll never drop a project that's started. If it takes me until 2012 to finish Ojamajo Doremi, then so be it.
So, if either of you two can be convinced to pick up Sazae-san or Doraemon, then we can be certain that you'll never, ever be able to retire.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 02:04   Link #102
LytHka
Banned

Oh, this is gold. "Ever since I was a little girl" story... please, spare me the sad part. If you're not contributing to the community, you're not. You heard what I think of you, move on. It's just one guy's opinion.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 05:02   Link #103
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

LytHka: You're pretty egotistical to think that the leechers should revolve around the fansubbers. Your job was to bring anime in an understandable format to an audience that could not have enjoyed it otherwise. It doesn't matter if they don't thank you, cosplay for you, idle in your channel, or whatever wild dreams you have about ruling a bunch of scum leechers. Leechers shouldn't have to feed the community by paying tribute to fansubbers at all. These anime leechers need only to pay tribute to the original anime creators. If they want more anime and better anime, they should fork over some money by buying DVDs, and doing things to promote anime culture like cosplaying, or even just talking about anime with their friends. You do your part by fansubbing to promote anime and the leechers can do their part to promote anime.

Also, you're delusional if you think that a human is no longer human once he/she enters the internet.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 05:15   Link #104
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

How do you define "contributing to the community"?
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 05:33   Link #105
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Lately this thread has been veering towards two topics that can never be resolved. Let's not turn this into a discussion of either: A. The Purpose of Fansubbing; or B. The Relationship with Leechers.

While both of those have some tangential value to a discussion of why someone might retire from fansubbing, neither of those topics can have any objective resolution.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-14, 06:54   Link #106
Nagumo
Random Translator

Perhaps we should list possible reasons in a list:

An individual, may retire from the fansub scene due to:

1. No longer has access to the internet (don't laugh... this can happen)
2. No longer has time
3. Has been harassed by leechers
4. Has been harassed by fellow fansub group members
5. Has been harassed by other fansub groups
6. Suffered from burn out
7. No longer enjoys anime in general

Any others?
Nagumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 11:11   Link #107
Sairai_X

Yesy lost a translator when they were hit by a car.
Sairai_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 18:11   Link #108
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairai_X
I'm not sure that counts as "retiring," but my sympathies for his friends and family.

Old 2006-02-14, 19:36   Link #109
Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairai_X
I did hear one of Lunar's staff was killed in a car accident or something or that nature. But I certainly hope Yesy's translator make a full recovery!
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 02:15   Link #110
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I hope I don't seem like a heartless bastard, but this thread is not about fansubbers who have been killed or injured. Let's stick to those of us who retired of their own will, not because Heaven lacks internet access.

Old 2006-02-15, 05:42   Link #111
Random Otaku
Anime-Ken

Send a message via ICQ to Random Otaku
I'm actually surprised that everyone are so focused on the "Abusive leecing public", when, sadly enough, Inter/Intra-group politics are a comparably large issue when it comes to quitting the "job".
From personal experience, I can deal with a random poster who starts bitching about the small mistakes (a coma out place or some such) in a release, but when a fellow fansubber starts doing the same in a very "Educated" and "Intelligent" kind of way while "accidentally" mentioning how good his group's releases are when it comes to the same subject....You just know it'll end with a lot of nasty posts and an unwillingness to cooperate with said group/person.
It either makes you go into an extremist defensive position in which you think ANY feedback is meant as a personal insult, or "FFS...I'm working so hard just so I could read this BS?"-mode which can lead to people quitting fansubbing.
Random Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 08:15   Link #112
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
I'm half retired for several reasons. The main and most obvious one is that I don't have time since I'm working full-time right now. I'd rather spend my limited time on my girlfriend, catching up with my bought anime DVDs (and I still have plenty of those bloody fansubs around to watch as well! ), and playing my guitar.

However, I also find myself not wanting to look around for posistions because of the attitudes of other fansubs (no, I don't really mean 'you' if you're reading this, assuming 'you' is smart enough to figure out who 'you' is; although saying that, 'you' could be one of a lot of people, so simply apply 'you' as needed :P).
Like the main example I have is of how many idiots are encoding and that I have to scamper around for work. The last time I looked around I simply got bored. Encoders aren't in demand; everyone is fine with having idiots encode because nobody (well, mostly the leachers, but I'm not talking about them) cares about video quality. But it's the same in all the other areas. I really dislike it when people don't know their own stupidity. Imo, one of the things that leads one to great intelligence is knowing exactly how stupid one is. And a lot of crap fansubbers think they're the shit, or simply don't have a clue to what shit they're putting out. It just annoys me of the ignorance. I've worked on a few things before just meaning to encode or QC, and have ended up having to go over their whole script removing silly text errors (and my English is pretty bad these days too :/). I just don't understand those who'd edit with so little knowledge. I started editing with hardly any knowledge, but I learned, didn't I? These people seem to fester at their level, not really getting much better. While I wasn't getting much better at encoding the last time I did it, that was because I'd reached certain walls in my style (etc. Anyone who's good at anything will know what I'm talking about).

A lot of fansubbers are idiots, and lots of them are good people to hang around with, but a lot of them just don't have a clue what they're doing :/

I dunno, like many things, fansubbing was a lot more fun when I didn't have a clue what I was doing and just did my best (however crap that was), but who knows...
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 20:52   Link #113
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
A lot of fansubbers are idiots, and lots of them are good people to hang around with, but a lot of them just don't have a clue what they're doing :/

I dunno, like many things, fansubbing was a lot more fun when I didn't have a clue what I was doing and just did my best (however crap that was), but who knows...
So you hate people that are idiots, but you preferred fansubbing when you were an idiot?
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 07:50   Link #114
ser2703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
I'm half retired for several reasons. The main and most obvious one is that I don't have time since I'm working full-time right now. I'd rather spend my limited time on my girlfriend, catching up with my bought anime DVDs (and I still have plenty of those bloody fansubs around to watch as well! ), and playing my guitar.

However, I also find myself not wanting to look around for posistions because of the attitudes of other fansubs (no, I don't really mean 'you' if you're reading this, assuming 'you' is smart enough to figure out who 'you' is; although saying that, 'you' could be one of a lot of people, so simply apply 'you' as needed :P).
Like the main example I have is of how many idiots are encoding and that I have to scamper around for work. The last time I looked around I simply got bored. Encoders aren't in demand; everyone is fine with having idiots encode because nobody (well, mostly the leachers, but I'm not talking about them) cares about video quality. But it's the same in all the other areas. I really dislike it when people don't know their own stupidity. Imo, one of the things that leads one to great intelligence is knowing exactly how stupid one is. And a lot of crap fansubbers think they're the shit, or simply don't have a clue to what shit they're putting out. It just annoys me of the ignorance. I've worked on a few things before just meaning to encode or QC, and have ended up having to go over their whole script removing silly text errors (and my English is pretty bad these days too :/). I just don't understand those who'd edit with so little knowledge. I started editing with hardly any knowledge, but I learned, didn't I? These people seem to fester at their level, not really getting much better. While I wasn't getting much better at encoding the last time I did it, that was because I'd reached certain walls in my style (etc. Anyone who's good at anything will know what I'm talking about).

Part of intelligence is also not dismissing everybody who doesn't agree with you or hold the exact same standards as you as idiots by default. Another part of intelligence is learning to estimate and not overestimate your own intelligence and/or ability. I understand the world isn't a big enough challenge for you and your brilliance needs to be challenged more, but some curtousy to your fellow ex-fansub friends would really look good on you honestly.
ser2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 08:08   Link #115
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

I think theres mostly one reason people quit fansubbing and it's ussualy lack of time and that you found better stuff to do with your life.

Last 5 months i steped down more and more started relaxing doing stuff now and then.

It's not as fun as it used to be, this isent cause of the leechers or other people.
It's just that i have done this stuff to much it's burning me out to do the same thing again and again watching the same episodes like at times 4 times in one day hehe.

Everyone have diffrent reasons to fansub imho, i dident really have one when i started more then the wish to give back to the ones that had given me so much anime.

I don't really agree with people hateing leechers, sure theres maybe 1 leecher among 1000 that would go and scream att you cause their release isen't out or other stuff went wrong.

But there are loads of fans out there who just like me loves the animes ^^;;
It's not us against them cause we are actually part of the community they no 'we' form.
It's enuff for me to know that they love the same anime is do.

Take care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 14:33   Link #116
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
lythka if you truly belive all leechers are scum go here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=8711 The thank you thread some people actually care

When it comes to problems with other groups. I never thought I would experience it. I was a leecher for many years abusing my highspeed connection. Hitting and running on bittorents. Just this year I decide why not give something back. I started fansubbing. Another group just happend to be doing the same anime we did and let say what resulted seemed like a war. The group in question I had high respect for, I have watched some of their fansubs and even said thanks, but as soon as I joined the fansubbing scene, I was public enemy number one. I can't even go into their channel anymore without being banned. Now it seems that their sole purpose is to release the anime in question before us. I have to admit we speed subbed the anime just to stay ahead, but were slowing down and reviewing the quality of the releases. The community was pretty receptive. We allow comparison and recommendations of other groups in our channel. The "leechers" have said thank you so many times, I lost count. All I want to do is intrested people in anime and make it more popular in the USA.

What I'm really trying to say it all boils down to the fansubbers not the "leechers". The leechers are forced into pledgeing allegence to a group. In turn they spite all the rest. Which creates tension. In order to relive that tession, I allowed conversations that only seemed to be allowed in the dvd rippers channel. They can hate us or love us. The Irc channel opion is just a place to talk about anything, arguments and hating is normal. I found that if you just leave it people will stop, because they see they are having no impact.

Bittorent has helped the community more than hurt it. It does provide stats not for fansubbers but for licensors. ADV for one looks at the stats and choose which to license. The fansubbing scene will always be around but it will turn to warez, because I predict that most anime will be licensed from production. IGPX on Cartoon Network for example.

Last edited by [darkfire]; 2006-02-17 at 14:46.
[darkfire] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 15:56   Link #117
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire]
lythka if you truly belive all leechers are scum go here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=8711 The thank you thread some people actually care
Oh wow, 100 leechers of a million. Look how many will come in and bitch about the lack of fansubs when a series gets licensed and dropped. (Hint: More than that!)

Quote:
What I'm really trying to say it all boils down to the fansubbers not the "leechers". The leechers are forced into pledgeing allegence to a group. In turn they spite all the rest. Which creates tension. In order to relive that tession, I allowed conversations that only seemed to be allowed in the dvd rippers channel. They can hate us or love us. The Irc channel opion is just a place to talk about anything, arguments and hating is normal. I found that if you just leave it people will stop, because they see they are having no impact.
They are not forced into anything. They do not have to like a group to watch its releases and they can get releases from any other group. They spite the rest because the fansubber encourage them to believe false things.
Quote:
Bittorent has helped the community more than hurt it. It does provide stats not for fansubbers but for licensors. ADV for one looks at the stats and choose which to license. The fansubbing scene will always be around but it will turn to warez, because I predict that most anime will be licensed from production. IGPX on Cartoon Network for example.
For the last two sentences, welcome to 3 years ago. Fansubbing has been its own warez scene for years now. Anime was licensed from production starting about then. The bubble has already burst so this is happening less.

Also, I would not continue to argue this point as you are going down a road that has been followed many times. The short is, the companies do not like bittorrent, the number of downloads only tells you something when it is in stark contrast to everything else, and they have far far better things to tell them which series to license.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 19:14   Link #118
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

so you are saying that the companies that actually use bittorrent to release trailers, wallpapers and other promotional stuff like that, actually hates the technology that they are using?

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 19:18   Link #119
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot1
so you are saying that the companies that actually use bittorrent to release trailers, wallpapers and other promotional stuff like that, actually hates the technology that they are using?
No, he is saying that they do not like bittorrent as a measure of series popularity. They have far better demographic gathering and statistical analysis methods than 'oh, this weeks Naruto episode torrent had 40,000 downloads!'
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 22:51   Link #120
Rainy

Quote:
Another group just happend to be doing the same anime we did and let say what resulted seemed like a war. The group in question I had high respect for, I have watched some of their fansubs and even said thanks, but as soon as I joined the fansubbing scene, I was public enemy number one. I can't even go into their channel anymore without being banned.
I find it very dramatic and hard to believe. The anonymous fansubbing group actually regards the fansubber who does the same show as arch-enemy? I don't see why it would want to resort to such dirty tactics against a fellow fansubber. Or maybe I am too naive when it comes to inter-group competitions?
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote