AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-11-16, 01:51   Link #861
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm inclined to think it's one or the other, given how calmly and confidently Sayaka responded to the arising of Witch!Homura. I don't think there was any ever real danger of Homura being denied a meeting with Madokami.
I admit that's a possibility. Still, it was unnecessary to let things escalate to that point.
Old 2013-11-16, 02:06   Link #862
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
So it's justifiable to not try to save somebody from getting killed? And it's not justifiable to get sucked in a bit by a wonderful dream world?
You're becoming Sayaka lol. Don't get sidetracked, we're talking about who has more of a justified reason to be cryptic. Again, Homura had done the talking in the previous timelines, nobody listened to her, and seriously, how rudely Sayaka treated her even back when she was just Moemura? You can't really blame her why she didn't spill them all. Also, wasn't Sayaka always doomed to die in every timeline? Sayaka being cryptic in that single time in the film was lame and stupid. Forgetting a crucial mission (which should be a priority at that point) over a dream was not wise at all. Look what caused her 'forgetfulness'

Quote:
What good is Homura's information if the girls are already Puella Magi? It's too late to be of any practical use then.
You're putting an excuse to find fault with Homura sharing the information in that timeline. So what if it's too late, atleast she told them, (while Sayaka continues to be irrationally unkind to her).

Quote:
There's nothing "stupid" about understandably getting sucked in by an appealing dream world. And if you feel it necessary to ask someone to excuse a specific word then that's probably a good sign that you shouldn't be using that word.
No past timelines to show she even tried to tell; there's something stupid when you withhold information that could greatly help someone (and that someone was your supposed main goal). I honestly couldn't find a more accurate term over that one. So since, I'm talking to you, a Sayaka-fan, I'm inclined to ask for an excuse

Quote:
Maybe you're right. Homura loves Madoka, and Sayaka loves Kyousuke. One tries to completely control the person she loves, while the other makes a sacrifice to benefit that person and then lets him live his life as he so pleases. I know which is more admirable to me...
Wait, you're getting sidetracked again, we're talking about how Homura being cryptic was justifiable over Sayaka's

Last edited by BaKaBaKaOtaKu; 2013-11-16 at 03:12.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 02:21   Link #863
Kazu-kun

So, the highlight of the movie when it comes the action is definitely the Homu/Mami gun-kata fight. I was kinda surprised that Mami could keep up with Homu. I know that Mami's magically stronger, but she usually lacks drive. In this fight though, she shows a lot of tenacity. I think it's probably because she was fighting to protect BB, which in this world was her first true friend.

Anyway, cool stuff all around.
Old 2013-11-16, 02:33   Link #864
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Eh, the highlight for me was when Madoka seems to remind me of SMT Yhvh where she uphold Law before desire

The Homu/Mami battle was definitely awesome though! Still, I keep wondering how Mami was able to move when time is stopped until I realized that Homu's leg was tied with Mami's ribbon..

The final witch battle wasn't too bad either

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 02:52   Link #865
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
So, the highlight of the movie when it comes the action is definitely the Homu/Mami gun-kata fight. I was kinda surprised that Mami could keep up with Homu. I know that Mami's magically stronger, but she usually lacks drive. In this fight though, she shows a lot of tenacity. I think it's probably because she was fighting to protect BB, which in this world was her first true friend.

Anyway, cool stuff all around.
I agree. The Mami vs Homura was a the best part for me. It was intense. I honestly think that without Homura's Time Stop Ability, Mami, without a doubt, had the advantage there. I don't think they're serious about trying to kill each other though lol. So there's some restraint there.
Old 2013-11-16, 03:11   Link #866
sailorcrisp

Quote:
Well, I finally saw the movie for myself. It does change my perception on a few things, and I have some ideas/theories to put forward based on what I just watched. I'll give a more comprehensive take on the movie tomorrow.

Since most of the recent discussion on this thread has centered around Homura and Sayaka, I will also focus primarily on them for now.

Spoiler for Theory on Homura:

Spoiler for Theory on Sayaka:

Well... that went rather long. I hope my ideas here might make some sense to other viewers, and perhaps give a different appreciation for what's going on in this movie, and with the characters in this movie.
Hmmmm.... well now I feel better hehe. Homura doesn't sound so evil
Thanks for the summary. I need to watch the movie properly...

Von Himmel, yeah, I apologise, I haven't watched the movie properly so I'm going by what people have said here. I do like Sayaka...not as much as Homura though haha .

And Kyubey's a bit of a liar... He said in the old world he doesn't know how to revert witches to Magical girls and all this jazz, yet he is able to halt the witch transformation process with Homura... And he's able to do that without supposedly knowing anything about witches in the new world except for the stories Homura told him.

One more thing I'm confused about. In episode 12 (new world) there's no evidence of the shield or the ability to time stop. In the dream world, she can still use her shield and stop time... But outside the barrier, in the "real world" is it known if her magical girl state still has that ability?

I agree with the Mami/Homura scene! I haven't seen the whole thing, but it definitely looks good!
sailorcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 03:41   Link #867
Jimmy C

I'll note this, we do not know the state of the "real world" outside Homura's barrier. It could even be argued that the last part of the movie takes place within an enlarged barrier, so we still don't know what the world beyond Homura's barrier looks like.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 03:44   Link #868
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
It could even be argued that the last part of the movie takes place within an enlarged barrier, so we still don't know what the world beyond Homura's barrier looks like.
Homura's barrier covers the entire universe. There's literally nothing outside her barrier.
Old 2013-11-16, 05:57   Link #869
Sayaka's sandbag

So I watched the camera rip that has been floating around and OMG it's just made me want to watch it for myself and own the Blu-ray even more. I loved the whole damn thing!!!

And wow, from what I read it seemed as though it may have been a little convoluted here and there but I found it easy enough to follow so no more fears there.

And wow, those 2 and a half minutes worth of transformations in the early parts were superb!!!

Ooooh, my widdle Sayaka's cuter than ever too x3

Shaft, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

And in seriousness I do think it's leading up to a second season... Excellent.
Old 2013-11-16, 07:30   Link #870
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
You're becoming Sayaka lol. Don't get sidetracked, we're talking about who has more of a justified reason to be cryptic.
Then I'm not getting "sidetracked" at all. Determining whether or not someone is justified in being cryptic involves exploring their motivation for being cryptic, and what would likely occur if they were less cryptic.

Quote:
Again, Homura had done the talking in the previous timelines, nobody listened to her, and seriously, how rudely Sayaka treated her even back when she was just Moemura?
How would you respond to being told that your dream hero role is actually a curse that will end up with you dead or turning into a witch (that'll likely get killed by a different magical girl not that long after)? What practical value is there to that information?

I'd honestly argue that once someone is a Puella Magi, they're probably better off kept blissfully unaware of this. Just look at your girl Mami in Timeline 3.

To be fair, I can understand Homura sharing this information with people for the simple reason that it's not something that's easy to keep to yourself and deal with privately. But it shouldn't surprise anybody that nobody who's already a Puella Magi would want to listen to Homura, and that some would respond rudely to having a nightmarish truth revealed to them.

Quote:
You can't really blame her why she didn't spill them all.
If she had tried revealing it to the girls while they were not yet Puella Magi, the girls may have reacted differently then. There's obviously a huge difference between saying "There's this really bad situation that I want to help you avoid" and "We're in a really bad situation with no way out".

Quote:
Also, wasn't Sayaka always doomed to die in every timeline?
No, going by what Gen wrote, this is only the case in the timelines where Sayaka becomes a magical girl. That's not every timeline (Sayaka as a Puella Magi is nowhere to be seen in the first two timelines, for example).

Quote:
Sayaka being cryptic in that single time in the film was lame and stupid.
Not necessarily. Please read what I wrote here about Sayaka.

Quote:
So what if it's too late, atleast she told them, (while Sayaka continues to be irrationally unkind to her).
There's nothing irrational about reacting badly to bad news.

Quote:
No past timelines to show she even tried to tell; there's something stupid when you withhold information that could greatly help someone (and that someone was your supposed main goal).
Not if you have a good reason or motivation for withholding that information. Again, please read what I wrote earlier there.
Old 2013-11-16, 08:40   Link #871
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Then I'm not getting "sidetracked" at all. Determining whether or not someone is justified in being cryptic involves exploring their motivation for being cryptic, and what would likely occur if they were less cryptic.
Yes you are. I don't think it should go further since that's taking a different matter already. It was like simply asking "Did she try to share the information?" Homura- Yes, Sayaka-No. That's what makes them different.

Quote:
To be fair, I can understand Homura sharing this information with people for the simple reason that it's not something that's easy to keep to yourself and deal with privately. But it shouldn't surprise anybody that nobody who's already a Puella Magi would want to listen to Homura, and that some would respond rudely to having a nightmarish truth revealed to them.
You know, just because you can be really rude to someone, doesn't mean you should. I never understood why Sayaka was cruel to Homura even back then, perhaps it's just in her nature to be like that. And no, not giving a person a chance to be believed in, or even try to listen to isn't considerate at all.

Quote:
No, going by what Gen wrote, this is only the case in the timelines where Sayaka becomes a magical girl. That's not every timeline (Sayaka as a Puella Magi is nowhere to be seen in the first two timelines, for example).
Those timelines prior to Sayaka's existence aren't counted. I assume she's always been doomed since the first timeline she appeared.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Please read what I wrote here about Sayaka.
Sorry, I don't share the same sentiment with you. It's just pure speculation on your part. So let's just agree to disagree.

Quote:
There's nothing irrational about reacting badly to bad news.
Reacting badly to a news differs to being outright inconsiderate of the person delivering it. So no.

Quote:
Not if you have a good reason or motivation for withholding that information. Again, please read what I wrote earlier there.
Withholding a crucial information that could very well be helpful to the person you're supposed to help, yeah And that's why Sayaka doesn't know her priorities

I don't think we'll ever agree on the matter, so I think we'll just leave it with our own view.

Last edited by BaKaBaKaOtaKu; 2013-11-16 at 09:25.
Old 2013-11-16, 10:48   Link #872
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Yes you are.
No, I'm not "getting side-tracked". I'm raising perfectly valid and pertinent points given our discussion.

Quote:
I don't think it should go further since that's taking a different matter already. It was like simply asking "Did she try to share the information?" Homura- Yes, Sayaka-No. That's what makes them different.
What's the point of sharing information when it's no longer of any real use?

The fact is that Homura was never shown sharing vital information when it could have been truly useful. No, she was very cryptic during that point. More cryptic than what Sayaka was in this movie, in my opinion.

Quote:
You know, just because you can be really rude to someone, doesn't mean you should.
Sayaka wasn't that rude. She was a little bit curt with Homura. It's no more rude than what Homura was towards Sayaka at times.

In any event, part of Sayaka's "rudeness" was due to concern with getting struck by one of Homura's bombs. For a close-quarters combatant like Sayaka, that's a valid concern.

Quote:
I never understood why Sayaka was cruel to Homura even back then, perhaps it's just in her nature to be like that.
No, it's not. Sayaka was quite friendly to all of her fellow Puella Magi in this movie.

Timeline 3 Sayaka was understandable upset at hearing a nightmarish truth being revealed to her, coming from somebody that she already found dangerous to work with.

Quote:
Those timelines prior to Sayaka's existence aren't counted.
What the heck are you even getting on with here? "Prior to Sayaka's existence"? Sayaka was in every timeline. We clearly see her in Timeline 1.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't share the same sentiment with you.
More like you don't want to even consider it because you want to hate on Sayaka. You're clearly unwilling to consider any argument that would justify Sayaka's actions and words.

Quote:
Withholding a crucial information that could very well be helpful to the person you're supposed to help, yeah
Which is exactly what Homura did during the final timeline. And not just to Sayaka, but also to Madoka.
Old 2013-11-16, 10:52   Link #873
Shadow5YA

Quote:
If she had tried revealing it to the girls while they were not yet Puella Magi, the girls may have reacted differently then. There's obviously a huge difference between saying "There's this really bad situation that I want to help you avoid" and "We're in a really bad situation with no way out".
Right. This does apply to Homura, but I don't see how this applies to Sayaka here. She is given all the information she needs on a way out, so she isn't stuck in some Catch 22 world where everyone is damned if they do know and damned if they don't.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 11:36   Link #874
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

We'll never meet eye-to-eye on the matter, so this will be my last reply to you.

Quote:
The fact is that Homura was never shown sharing vital information when it could have been truly useful. No, she was very cryptic during that point. More cryptic than what Sayaka was in this movie, in my opinion.
Sorry when was she more cryptic than Sayaka? We're talking about that timeline she was Moemura right? No, I don't see that being more cryptic than Sayaka. We didn't know what happened during the other timelines, so maybe she did it there, and Sayaka was doomed again and everyone of them.

Quote:
Sayaka wasn't that rude. She was a little bit curt with Homura. It's no more rude than what Homura was towards Sayaka at times. In any event, part of Sayaka's "rudeness" was due to concern with getting struck by one of Homura's bombs. For a close-quarters combatant like Sayaka, that's a valid concern.
IMO that was rude, no matter how I see it. Homura rude to Sayaka, when? We're talking about Moemura here right? I don't remember her being one. Last timeline Homura might come off cold but not rude, imo.

Quote:
What the heck are you even getting on with here? "Prior to Sayaka's existence"? Sayaka was in every timeline. We clearly see her in Timeline 1.
Sorry, I missed a word, "Sayaka's MG" existence I mean.

Quote:
More like you don't want to even consider it because you want to hate on Sayaka. You're clearly unwilling to consider any argument that would justify Sayaka's actions and words.
I tried to consider your thoughts but I can't help but just see them as too much pro-Sayaka opinion coming from a huge Sayaka fan. Maybe if the film really had made things clear, with no bs out-of-character plots, I could take them, but right now, no.

Quote:
Which is exactly what Homura did during the final timeline. And not just to Sayaka, but also to Madoka.
And we're just going in circles because I'm going to tell you again that Homura had all those timelines doing that. She thought she could have it in a different approach, giving no fucks in the process, that's why she withheld it while Sayaka had that one crucial time to say it, but didn't etc...etc...
Old 2013-11-16, 11:46   Link #875
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Could someone explain that after credit scene for me? I really don't get what happened there.
Old 2013-11-16, 11:53   Link #876
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
Could someone explain that after credit scene for me? I really don't get what happened there.
It's symbolic. Homura achieves her goal, but she's alone, hence there's only one chair and only half the moon. She might protect Madoka and maker her happy, but that means she herself will never be happy, so she "falls" at the end. On the other hand, her smile suggests she's still determined to face these consequences for the sake of Madoka's happiness. Even if she ends up "falling", she won't give up.
Old 2013-11-16, 12:01   Link #877
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
It's symbolic. Homura achieves her goal, but she's alone, hence there's only one chair and only half the moon. She might protect Madoka and maker her happy, but that means she herself will never be happy, so she "falls" at the end. On the other hand, her smile suggests she's still determined to face this consequences for the sake of Madoka's happiness. Even if she ends up "falling", she won't give up.
And what about the beat-up Kyubey?
Old 2013-11-16, 12:04   Link #878
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
And what about the beat-up Kyubey?
What about it? He made the girls suffering all this time for the sake of his goal. Now, as a result of his own actions, he himself is in utter despair.

You know, you reap what you sow.
Old 2013-11-16, 12:08   Link #879
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
What about it? He made the girls suffering all this time for the sake of his goal. Now, as a result of his own actions, he himself is in utter despair.

You know, you reap what you sow.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah. Now it's becoming clear.
Old 2013-11-16, 12:09   Link #880
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Right. This does apply to Homura, but I don't see how this applies to Sayaka here.
Homura was in a Catch-22 situation in Timeline 3. She wasn't in a Catch-22 situation in the final timeline, between Mami's death and Sayaka becoming a Puella Magi. She had invaluable information that she could have shared with Madoka and Sayaka during that period. To be fair, it's difficult information to share. So is telling someone "You're becoming a witch, and this is your witch's realm". I can see someone thinking that it's better to hint at that, and let people reach the disturbing conclusion themselves. Perhaps less likely to reject a painful truth then.

Quote:
Sorry when was she more cryptic than Sayaka? We're talking about that timeline she was Moemura right?
No, I'm talking about the final timeline. Homura was very cryptic there.

Quote:
We didn't know what happened during the other timelines, so maybe she did it there, and Sayaka was doomed again and everyone of them.
So now who's engaging in pure speculation?

If it's Ok for you to engage in pure speculation to defend Homura, then surely the same is true for me defending Sayaka.

Tags
madoka