AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-11, 11:53   Link #1801
Arya

My understanding by reading the posts is that the show didn't change its previous direction, did it? Kouko and Banri relationship is still not improving and stuck nowhere, instead Ghost Banri ran amok? So, basically it's like the author instead of trying to improve Kouko and Banri relationship decided to deteriorate the opponents. I'm glad that this time break helped me to decide to drop the show.
But I will follow this thread instead, because I'm very curious to see where this show is going. Because letting aside the narrative choice of splitting Banri in two different entities that I've always considered a big mistake, what amazed me of this show is that it was able to turn me from Kouko side, where I was in episode one, to Linda side. When usually Linda type of character never appealed me. In fact I didn't even considered her at first, as much as Banri did. And I'm a really resilient viewer when it comes to liking a character, even more if is shipping we are talking about. So it's like this show worked really hard to make me change my position. So I need to know why Maybe the writer is really trolling us. Or is just like Koichoco, where everything was pointing to one direction and at a certain point, boom, it changed. Only just because it had to be.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 12:07   Link #1802
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigan View Post
banri just wanted to be modest. they just finished eating the oily air yakisoba. mouth wash with bottled juice wouldn't be enough.
Kouko ate the same stuff and she was the one suggesting they kiss, so Bnari is more delicate than his girlfriend? I would not mind such explanation if Banri would give plenty of kisses to Kouko, but atm she is starving for affection to the point she offers her lips and still goes empty handed?

Heck, I bet there were more kisses in one episode of Sakura Trick than in this whole series >_<
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 17:50   Link #1803
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Banri didn't brush off the kiss. Ghost Banri took over his body and said his peace before giving current Banri a worst scenario nightmare.

I was right all along, time to call an exorcist. That vengeful spirit is here and he's full of hate.

Now he's planning on sabotaging everything since he can't get his way. What a sore loser.

"If I can't have Linda, you can't have Kouko either."

Pathetic. Be gone, you relic of the past!!!

*throws salt*

On a positive note, I had the same reaction Banri did when Kouko wore an apron.

I am not joking.

Oh and I really hate the new OP and ED.

I don't even know where to start, but it's gonna take time to accept it.

Spoiler for not sure if it's off topic:

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2014-01-11 at 18:05.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 17:52   Link #1804
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post

"If I can't have Linda, you can't get Kouko either."
So Ghost Banri wants a threesome? WTF?

@GHost Banri > "Only in hentai dude. Not in my vanilla."
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 17:54   Link #1805
lightbringer
M9000

I can't help but feel that this would be a stronger story without Ghost Banri. I've felt that way ever since he first appeared but he's been a source of fake drama all along and it kind of starts to bore me already. You don't need supernatural elements in this story, it's interesting enough as is. Unless he's supposed to be a figment of Banri's subconsciousness but that seems rather unlikely at this point, since he talks a bit too much for this and does not really interact with the real Banri.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 18:05   Link #1806
Frontier

"Hey, my Lover." Oh Kouko, how I missed you .

The second opening certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Overall, I'd say I like "The World's End" though not as much as "Golden Time." It's melancholic and bombastic, a tad fitting for a final opening theme and one quite possibly foreshadowing the future of the show. And of course, Kouko looking great in various outfits. It wouldn't be a Golden Time opening without that .

There was definitely a lot of symbolic imagery in it: Kouko depressed and alone, Kouko wandering around looking for love and then running in tears after it, Kouko breaking down and screaming, Kouko alone and unhappy at a wedding reception, and finally Banri finding her and holding her hand. It gives me the impression that, while there are rough waters ahead for Banri and Kouko both as people and as a couple, the two will ultimately be able to find their own happiness, together So, bascially I echo FlareKnight's view of things.

As for "Han'eikyuuteki ni Aishite yo," while I don't think it quite lives up to "Sweet and Sweet Cherry," I thought it was a pretty nice and romantic opening. Kouko looked very nice in that white dress, and that kiss at the end was very cute, and made up for the missed one earlier in the episode. Though hearing "I don't want forever love, I don't believe forever love" coming out of Kouko's mouth was weird considering "forever love" has pretty much always been what she's wanted and believed in .

It was nice that, after all the drama in episode 12, the show came back with plenty of comedy to lighten the mood and overall I found myself enjoying it. From Kouko's breakdown over the Awa dance, to trying to be a "surprising woman" for Banri by sprinting up the stairs, in heels no less, to greet Banri and accidentally getting him punched because of it, and the whole "Air Yakisoba" scene .

Going off what Musouka brought up and what was said in the episode, it seems no one in Kouko's household, be it her parents or the Kaga's maid, really gives her any respect. I could see that being as much a factor in her obsession with being the perfect woman as her original desire to win Mitsuo over. It would definitely explain why Kouko has always had a low opinion of herself, sadly. It seems like the only real positive reinforcement in her life comes from Banri and Linda. Though people calling Kouko an "idiot" kinda makes me curious to see how well she does at school. It's true that she's impulsive and is pretty much an "idiot" socially, but is she decent academically? She's definitely far more perceptive about things than people give her credit for.

The Linda flashback pretty much conveyed how she's basically reeling from a case of not knowing what she really wants or has until it's gone and out of reach. Though even having learned that after Banri's accident, she still can't bite the bullet and tell him how she really feels, which has been nothing but a source of anguish and regret for her ever since the accident. At the very least, it's good that the incident at the club hasn't completely soured her relationship with Kouko.

Next episode: Kouko in swimsuits. Kouko in swimsuits !

Last edited by Frontier; 2014-03-18 at 14:48.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 18:10   Link #1807
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Yeah, I don't think they can beat "Sweet and Sweet Cheery" everything about it was delicious.

And yes, Kouko's swimsuit is

One swipe from the Tenseiga and it's over GB.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2014-01-11 at 18:54.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 02:19   Link #1808
l.kostas

OP -ED lyrics:
OP2: "The♡World's♡End"
http://s.ameblo.jp/namco-pacmandays/...747502039.html
ED2: "半永久的に愛してよ♡ (Haneikyuu-teki ni Aishite yo♡; Love Me Temporarily♡)"
http://s.ameblo.jp/namco-pacmandays/...747505540.html

Last edited by l.kostas; 2014-01-14 at 09:57.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 03:37   Link #1809
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.kostas View Post
OP -ED lyrics:
OP2: "The♡World's♡End"
http://s.ameblo.jp/namco-pacmandays/...747502039.html
ED2: "半永久的に愛してよ♡ (Haneikyuu-teki ni Aishite yo♡; Love Me Semipermanently♡)"
http://s.ameblo.jp/namco-pacmandays/...747505540.html
I feel that I like the first OP and ED better than the second. But damn, that ghost Banri wants to curse the hell out of current Banri!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 05:59   Link #1810
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

It's really unfortunate that the new OP has that horrible drumming in the background for the majority of it. If it weren't for that, it'd actually be a rather nice song because the melody is nice. =/
Old 2014-01-12, 18:47   Link #1811
Frontier

It was nice to see, despite her becoming a nervous wreck over it, Kouko successfully pull off the Awa Dance. Badly CG'ed as it was .

It was especially nice considering how her lack of skill in that area has always been a sore spot for her.
Old 2014-01-12, 20:52   Link #1812
Anime-fan10

Ghost Banri really annoyed me this episode. No matter how many times he was rejected by Linda in the past, he is so obsessed with her that he won't let the current Banri be happy with Koko. When the current Banri asked what her answer was in the past to the confession, Linda said it would've been for them to just be friends. I don't know if I believe that, but regardless, that's what she told him. If she was lying, she clearly made a decision to let Banri be happy with Koko. However, ghost Banri can't see past his own selfish desires and is getting in the way of his current self and Koko's relationship. Every time he said he was going to make the current Banri unhappy, I was so annoyed, lol. Just had to vent about that because it was bothering me, haha.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 23:42   Link #1813
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime-fan10 View Post
Ghost Banri really annoyed me this episode. No matter how many times he was rejected by Linda in the past, he is so obsessed with her that he won't let the current Banri be happy with Koko. When the current Banri asked what her answer was in the past to the confession, Linda said it would've been for them to just be friends. I don't know if I believe that, but regardless, that's what she told him. If she was lying, she clearly made a decision to let Banri be happy with Koko. However, ghost Banri can't see past his own selfish desires and is getting in the way of his current self and Koko's relationship. Every time he said he was going to make the current Banri unhappy, I was so annoyed, lol. Just had to vent about that because it was bothering me, haha.
indeed is annoying how this "part" of him can't accept linda rejection, she already rejected him 3 times, why he keep insisting when is obvious who she is avoiding have anything with him, why he can't accept her "no", even if a lie is linda choice and this "ghost/part of him must respect/accept her decision, current banri dont go to tokyo for her he go to have a new life, the chance of them have something already passed, now the reality is knocking door and his present is koko, linda was his past and doing this he is only hurting himself, koko and linda, well anyone around them.
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 04:07   Link #1814
Gohan78
Awakened One

I don't like the direction taken by the story with the whole Ghost Banri curse.
It becomes more and more difficult to just see GB as a representation of Banri's past memories when he can actually influence the weather, cancel trips, etc. Even if you tell me that it's not GB's doing but "bad karma", it's still too much of a coincidence for my tastes.

Really, I think the story would have been much better without Ghost Banri. Just Banri having second thoughts about his relationship with Koko would have been enough.

This episode overall was a miss for me. I didn't laugh at the weird Awa dance and the "air yakisoba" portion was downright cringe-inducing. Also, I find the new OP/ED much worse than the previous ones.

I have some faith in Takemiya-sensei because even with Toradora, at first I hated Taiga but I came to like her in the end. But Takemiya must do something to improve the chemistry between Koko and Banri because at the moment I just don't feel their relationship.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 07:17   Link #1815
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
indeed is annoying how this "part" of him can't accept linda rejection, she already rejected him 3 times, why he keep insisting when is obvious who she is avoiding have anything with him, why he can't accept her "no", even if a lie is linda choice and this "ghost/part of him must respect/accept her decision, current banri dont go to tokyo for her he go to have a new life, the chance of them have something already passed, now the reality is knocking door and his present is koko, linda was his past and doing this he is only hurting himself, koko and linda, well anyone around them.
My thoughts exactly! She rejected him multiple times and he keeps going back for more rejections, lol. Ghost Banri should just let the current Banri focus on Koko because that's who he wants to be with right now. He even stated in this episode he didn't want her to go away to Barcelona.
Old 2014-01-14, 02:59   Link #1816
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
My thoughts exactly! She rejected him multiple times and he keeps going back for more rejections, lol. Ghost Banri should just let the current Banri focus on Koko because that's who he wants to be with right now.
You have to think of it from his perspective: the "Banri" she's rejecting is him, but it isn't him, and what he wants above all is to tell her clearly that he's still there and still loves her. All of Linda's rejections have an air of obligation because she's trying not to ruin his life, but "Ghost Banri" would much rather ruin things with Kouko if it meant he could get back with Linda, the love of his (Ghost Banri's) life. Expecting him to just let it go and sit there and idly watch while the love of his life moves increasingly away is not really realistic as long as he suspects there's something he can do about it. If Linda had rejected him -- the real him -- then maybe he'd be able to finally accept it. But until now, from his point of view, she's rejected the Banri-wannabe that took over his body, which isn't the same thing.

I think you guys have a lot more understanding than I would have if I were in his situation; I'd be grasping at every straw I could reach for.
Old 2014-01-14, 06:42   Link #1817
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Isn't 'Ghost' Banri anime original? I don't think the original Banri is depicted to be literally personality split.

Anyhow, to throw in a few cents. His amnesia will end sooner or later.. because that would be the conclusive factor. Once that happens, it's not gonna go well with Koko. Worst outcome is that the series takes a turn like a certain other well-known series, and the main character ends up with nobody.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 07:27   Link #1818
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You have to think of it from his perspective: the "Banri" she's rejecting is him, but it isn't him, and what he wants above all is to tell her clearly that he's still there and still loves her. All of Linda's rejections have an air of obligation because she's trying not to ruin his life, but "Ghost Banri" would much rather ruin things with Kouko if it meant he could get back with Linda, the love of his (Ghost Banri's) life. Expecting him to just let it go and sit there and idly watch while the love of his life moves increasingly away is not really realistic as long as he suspects there's something he can do about it. If Linda had rejected him -- the real him -- then maybe he'd be able to finally accept it. But until now, from his point of view, she's rejected the Banri-wannabe that took over his body, which isn't the same thing.

I think you guys have a lot more understanding than I would have if I were in his situation; I'd be grasping at every straw I could reach for.
I understand your point. My issue is that Ghost Banri is just being selfish at this point and won't allow his current self be happy. Besides, in the past I believe she did reject him and went on to ignore her for a few days. Granted she did that because she was embarrassed in front of her friends, but still. They even agreed to be "just friends" after that. Even if Linda also rejected the current Banri, Ghost Banri was listening and he should've heard what she said. I don't think Ghost Banri is looking at it from Linda's perspective at all; she wants the current Banri to be happy. Isn't any version of Banri being happy better than no version of Banri being happy at all?
Old 2014-01-14, 09:43   Link #1819
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I understand your point. My issue is that Ghost Banri is just being selfish at this point and won't allow his current self be happy. Besides, in the past I believe she did reject him and went on to ignore her for a few days. Granted she did that because she was embarrassed in front of her friends, but still. They even agreed to be "just friends" after that. Even if Linda also rejected the current Banri, Ghost Banri was listening and he should've heard what she said. I don't think Ghost Banri is looking at it from Linda's perspective at all; she wants the current Banri to be happy. Isn't any version of Banri being happy better than no version of Banri being happy at all?
What happened in the past wasn't really a "rejection" because he hadn't confessed at that time. She was just being teased by her friends, and she tried to brush it off, and he happened to overhear. It's also of course where she used the "it's just the opposite, Banri" line, which planted the thought in his head that he did have a chance.

But that aside, the issue isn't whether some "version" of Banri is happy, but rather whether Linda is happy. She keeps denying/sacrificing her feelings to give current-Banri a chance to make a life with Kouko, but Ghost Banri knows her better than that. So it's obvious to Ghost Banri why she keeps doing this, but she wouldn't have to keep sacrificing herself if only he could get through to her. At least, that's what he's thinking.

In the end, think again about Linda being the love of his life and him acting on his emotions, not an objective, rational assessment of the situation.
Old 2014-01-14, 11:50   Link #1820
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Isn't 'Ghost' Banri anime original? I don't think the original Banri is depicted to be literally personality split.

Anyhow, to throw in a few cents. His amnesia will end sooner or later.. because that would be the conclusive factor. Once that happens, it's not gonna go well with Koko. Worst outcome is that the series takes a turn like a certain other well-known series, and the main character ends up with nobody.
no ghost banri is also in the source(LN), ghost banri is exactly what he is, banri past part who was lost in the accident and somehow come back like as a "second personality"(aka ghost) with his own desires" a good amount of PoV come from ghost banri looking at current banri life, like we see in anime.

Last edited by ellessarr; 2014-01-14 at 18:34.
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen