AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-03-24, 13:42   Link #1
Lagann_Horizon

Looking for a new anime to watch.

Ok, I haven't watched a lot of anime, and I don't know all the fancy terms being used on these forums. That being said, me and my wife have watched several animes in the last 6-8 months. I will list them in my fave order.

1. Attack on Titan
2. Tokyo Ghoul
3. FMA:B
4. Psycho Pass Seasons 1&2
5. Pandora Hearts
6. Log Horizon
7. FMA
8. Gurren Lagann
9. SAO
10.Kuorshitsuji Season 1
11. Black Bullet
12. Zetsuen no Tempest
13. Kuroshitsuji: BoC
14. The Devil is a Part-timer
15. Moribito
16. Claymore
17. Darker than Black Series
18. Btoom!
19. Another
20. Elfen Lied
21. Mirai Nikki
22. Kurokami
23. Deadman Wonderland
24. Death Note
25. SAO: Phantom Bullet
26. Kuroshitsuji Season 2
27. Brynhildr in the Darkness
28. Madoka Magica
29. .hack//SIGN

Current: Akame ga Kill!

Waiting on new episode: Log Horizon 2, Parasyte, Tokyo Ghoul √A

Stalled: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Monster

Also, we watched all these with English subtitles, and we prefer it like that.

Last edited by Lagann_Horizon; 2015-02-11 at 07:44. Reason: adding to list
Lagann_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 15:47   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Try Moribito. It was legally streamed on Crunchyroll for quite a while, but no longer. However it is such an extraordinary bargain on DVD that it is easily worth the investment. The main character is a thirty-year-old spear-wielding female bodyguard who is tasked with protecting a young prince from assassination.

Another possibility might be Claymore, a tale about a bunch of beautiful women who wield large swords and fight horrendous monsters. The ending is rather abrupt because the manga was ongoing when the series ended. Up until then it's a pretty good adventure.

I'll also suggest one comedy, Nodame Cantabile. It stars two classical music prodigies attending a college-level Tokyo conservatory. Supercilious wannabe conductor Chiaki Shinichi find himself living next door to a dishevelled and rather ditzy young pianist with enormous talent named Noda Megumi, nicknamed "Nodame." Love eventually ensues of course, but it takes most of the series. Nodame is streamed with a decent English dub at Crackle, but if you want to watch it in Japanese you'll need to download the torrent.

I suggest you visit the various Anime Suki Choice Awards threads if you want to see what shows people here rated highly. I'll also suggest any of the shows in that gallery in my signature. Move your mouse over the images to see the recommendations.

You might also want to browse the older "wife/girlfriend" threads in this forum like these:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107734
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=62489
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65112

Oh, and this is a site where people mostly watch subtitles. You're right at home.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-03-24 at 19:01.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 17:58   Link #3
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Have you tried Fullmetal Alchemist? If not, check out the second series called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but skip the first episode. I know that sounds confusing, but basically, they made the original Fullmetal Alchemist series before the manga was finished and had to create a made up ending that wasn't as good as the original content of the manga.

Later, they decided to start over fresh since the manga was ending, and they made Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The first episode is just kind of a special feature for fans who had watched the original series (you can go back and watch it later on).

Fullmetal Alchemist is the series that really got me hooked on anime back when I was younger and I think it's a really good one for people who are still pretty new to anime. It also has some things in common with other series you watched: it's got action, adventure, a completely original and unique world, and a great plot. The characters have a kind of "magic" called alchemy, and are on a journey to undo a great mistake they made as children. Along the way, their journey intersects with a far grander conflict that threatens the entire country (or world). Don't want to spoil anything, but definitely give it a look.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 19:08   Link #4
Lagann_Horizon

Moribito and Fullmetal seem closer to what we would watch. She is not picky when it comes to what gender the main character is. She doesn't care if it has romance. She just wants a anime with a gripping story and little to no nudity. Also not to childish.

Last edited by Lagann_Horizon; 2014-03-24 at 19:08. Reason: spelling error
Old 2014-03-24, 20:06   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
In keeping with your previous shows I would strongly suggest:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
and
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

I also suggest you try some of the other genre available:

Madoka Magica
Cross Game
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Clannad
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 21:18   Link #6
Lagann_Horizon

Madoka Magica and Jojo's will be added to the will be added to the test watch list. I'll watch Hataraku, even if my wife doesn't. It looks hilarious!
Old 2014-03-25, 20:47   Link #7
kitten320

I think Berserk and Fate/Zero would be a good start for you as well as Baccano.

Bakuman would be another good choice if you want something more comedic and slice of life based. Done by same creator as Death Note.

On that not, Uchuu Kyoudai aka Space Brothers is another great slice of life series with adult characters who are trying to realize their dream of going to a moon.

100% both seasons of FMA, you could also try Hunter x Hunter. Original series are more dark while new ones that are still ongoing have more comedy elements to them. Right one new series are covering an arc that was never animated in old release and its OVAs.

Zetsuen no Tempest is quiet unique as well.

Beck are nice series based around music.

Chihayafuru are great and unique sport series that have slice of life elements to it.

Inuyasha maybe?

Monster are great detective series.

Steins;Gate though real deal starts in 2nd half.

Ghost Hunt of you like ghost and supernatural related stuff.

100% second Seirei No Morbito.

Hope you'll find something to your liking.
Old 2014-03-25, 21:13   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Let me know how those go. We always like to know how our recommendations went over.

Perhaps Mirai Nikki as well? A bit of a dark action show.

Maybe Shiki if you like (non-sparkly) vampire stories.

Angel Beats is a bit of a genre buster. Girl decides to rebel against God.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2014-03-26, 08:03   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagann_Horizon View Post
Moribito and Fullmetal seem closer to what we would watch. She is not picky when it comes to what gender the main character is. She doesn't care if it has romance. She just wants a anime with a gripping story and little to no nudity. Also not to childish.
You need to watch Monster then. At 74 episodes it's a commitment, but well worth it.
Old 2014-03-26, 09:30   Link #10
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagann_Horizon View Post
Ok, I haven't watched a lot of anime, and I don't know all the fancy terms being used on these forums. That being said, me and my wife have watched several animes in the last 6-8 months. I will list them in my fave order.

1. Attack on Titan
2. Log Horizon
3. Gurren Lagann
4. SAO
5. Death Note
6. .hack//sign

We tried to watch Blue Exorcist, but my wife is not to fond of the lead character.

Also, we watched all these (besides BE) with English subtitles, and we prefer it like that.

Just finished Log Horizon and now I need a new anime to watch. Thank you for your help.
I highly recommend that you two watch Code Geass. If you loved Death Note's main character, Light, you'd surely love Code Geass' main character. They are both almost similar in terms of their behaviour, personality and methods in conquest.

I hope I helped and also I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Old 2014-03-26, 13:35   Link #11
Lagann_Horizon

I have been wanting to watch Monster for a while, but can't find a streaming site for it. Mirai Nikki looks good and I have heard a good bit of good about Geass. I will watch a few this weekend to see what I like, and I am still open to suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by Lagann_Horizon; 2014-03-26 at 13:36. Reason: autocorrect still sux
Old 2014-03-26, 15:51   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You probably won't find a legal streaming site for Monster anytime in the near future. It was licensed by VIZ who dubbed it and showed it on a few venues like the Sci-Fi television channel and their own vizanime.com. However VIZ failed to release more than just the first instalment of the series on home video covering episodes 1-15. Later they argued the poor sales of volume one could not justify the cost of releasing the other 49 episodes.

Since then, VIZ has lost the license to Monster in R1, and I don't believe anyone has picked it up, nor given its poor sales here are they likely to do so. I don't see it on Netflix any longer either. At this point I think you're left with the excellent Anime-Kraze torrent I linked to above.

The Australian licensor Siren Visual has the rights to Monster in DVD region 4. So far they have released three boxes covering episodes 1-45. Each box costs A$45, and you'll need a region-free DVD player to watch them.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-03-26 at 17:27.
Old 2014-03-26, 19:19   Link #13
Lagann_Horizon

Watched the first 2 episodes of Monster. Now i am going to rewatch them with the wife, I think she will like them. Now Imma check out Mirai Nikki.

Watched 1min of Mirai Nikki... think I am hooked...

Last edited by Lagann_Horizon; 2014-03-26 at 20:05. Reason: mirai nikki
Old 2014-03-28, 15:45   Link #14
Lagann_Horizon

Gotta say, me and my wife really enjoyed Mirai Nikki. Next to watch is Monster. Finished Mirai Nikki in 2 days, don't think I will be able to do that with Monster...

Last edited by Lagann_Horizon; 2014-03-29 at 00:58. Reason: Finished mirai nikki
Old 2014-04-03, 07:29   Link #15
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

If you don't mind drama then Kokoro Connect; just remember that there's 4 additional episodes to bring the total count to 17.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 11:31   Link #16
Lagann_Horizon

Just watched Elfen Lied. Great show. Now watching Pandora Hearts, good so far. I know it has been a while, but i am still open to suggestions. We tend to like the darker stuff a bit more, especially if it has action/gore. Thanks again!
Old 2014-09-01, 18:34   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Then have you tried Jojo and Madoka? I know you added them to the watch list but they are not in the update.

Jojo has some decent darkness (men are men, women are women, and villains are appropriately villainous). Decent amount of gore too.

Madoka Magica is very dark - based on Faust, so you know how that goes. I mean, the ending credits depicts the heroine running into the darkness as her friends try to stop her, and becoming a mote in the eye of Mephistopheles. Sadly the audio for the HD video has been muted, and the video on the unmuted is horrible, but you could try watching this video with this audio).

Fullmetal Alchemist is also rather dark. Human sacrifice, that sort of stuff. The show lightens it with the humor, but by the end it's pretty dark.

Shiki is straight up horror. It was so brutal I stopped watching half way through.

Old 2014-09-02, 17:22   Link #18
Lagann_Horizon

Madoka and Jojo were questionable, I was unsure about them. Upon further investigation, I think I will watch them. Shiki sounds promicing as well. My wife has suggusted Deadman Wonderland, so that will likely be next. Thanks again!
Old 2014-09-07, 18:47   Link #19
Lagann_Horizon

Watched Deadman Wonderland, Pandora Hearts, and Another. All very good shows. My wife particularly liked Pandora Hearts. Now watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Thinking about watching Kuroshitsuji too.
Old 2014-12-12, 09:45   Link #20
Lagann_Horizon

Looking for more suggustions. Really enjoyed FMA and FMA:B. Tokyo Ghoul was supprisingly very good and reminded me a lot of Deadman Wonderland. Currently watching Kuroshitjusi season 2 and so far I am loving the series. Plan on watching Boogiepop Phantom afterwards, but I may watch Jigoku Shoujo. I am open to any other suggustions. Thank you all for the ones you have given so far, and thanks in advance for the rest!