AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-26, 22:36   Link #1581
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Interesting development on the issue of Blanche and Egalite. That's quite an underhanded way foreign countries try to undermine a nations military power. Is that why I got the sense of Cold War vibes with this show with a tinge of conservatism?

LOL SAO talk. Also the random fanservice went up a notch again.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 22:39   Link #1582
araragi92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post

Btw, you should also post that pic on the Kagepro thread since most of its characters made the list.
You can post that in the Kagerou project thread it if you want
araragi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 22:39   Link #1583
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by araragi92 View Post
Favorite male and female characters (anime)

Happy for Tatsuya, Sora, Kano, Tohka, Miyuki and Shiro
The LN readers must be on a voting spree

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 23:31   Link #1584
Magewolf

Did I miss understand him or did Tatsuya say that the underclass should just suck it up and let their betters run the country. And that the reason that they did not know their place was that they were being manipulated by outside forces that that were trying to destroy Japan by removing the magical Oligarchy that had run it for generations. All in the name of equal rights and fair government, which are apparently stupid.

From what goes on at the school with the way less powerful magic-users are treated I can not imagine how normal people are treated. Like pets or live stock?
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 23:38   Link #1585
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Hmm, a pretty decent episode where we get to delve deeper into the darker undertones of the story. A couple of issues were being addressed, and it's mostly about the social discrimination that exists and feelings of unfairness in this episode. Yet the aims of Blanche reeks of extreme hypocrisy; they outwardly keep up appearances but secretly embrace magic.

I noticed that the fanservice somewhat kicked up a notch in this episode - we got an eyeful of Ono-sensei's legs and assets, and even Sayaka got some leg focus. At the end Miyuki got some focus as well. Curiously enough the fanservice was done quite tastefully, at least for me.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 23:44   Link #1586
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by araragi92 View Post
Favorite male and female characters (anime)

Happy for Tatsuya, Sora, Kano, Tohka, Miyuki and Shiro
Sorry. I like Tats, but Sora should be #1. Best. MC. Ever.
Old 2014-04-26, 23:51   Link #1587
rladls716

All these characters are pure fanservice.
Opening obviously showing its good sides with bad sides hidden in the deep roots as it does not even exist.
"Mahouka Koukou"'s problems are not something that easy to get involved with for the ordinary students because in the end those whether with or without talent will feel pain whatever the outcome.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 23:53   Link #1588
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Interesting development on the issue of Blanche and Egalite. That's quite an underhanded way foreign countries try to undermine a nations military power. Is that why I got the sense of Cold War vibes with this show with a tinge of conservatism?
rewatch episode one just one minute would be enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Did I miss understand him or did Tatsuya say that the underclass should just suck it up and let their betters run the country. And that the reason that they did not know their place was that they were being manipulated by outside forces that that were trying to destroy Japan by removing the magical Oligarchy that had run it for generations. All in the name of equal rights and fair government, which are apparently stupid.

From what goes on at the school with the way less powerful magic-users are treated I can not imagine how normal people are treated. Like pets or live stock?
as mentioned before in this thread, Magicians are rare and talented magicians are even rarer(even Weeds are also considered more "talented" than normal magicians)

They are rare = they are the minority

Apply real world logic for the rest .
Old 2014-04-26, 23:56   Link #1589
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

YES! Finally they reveal some political issue in this series...
Although this episode is totally plain with lots of talking, explanations, some shipping stuffs, some "freezing stuffs" , etc.... but I enjoyed this...

I didn't expect that Weed Rebellion would come this fast... with Kendo-club in the center of it
anyway, Blanche stuff is interesting... also that Yotsuba stuff that got revealed in the end is also a clue about the mysterious past of the siblings

too bad they didn't put opening scene in this episode
I'm expecting an all-out full battle episode soon
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 00:06   Link #1590
HandofFate

Quote:

Normal people are just normal. Its magicians that are treated like livestock since magicians = a country's military power.

Tatsuya isn't saying the course 2 students should just stfu and listen to their 'better' course 1 students.

Its that they're letting their inferiority complexes get the better of them and they're just whining and grabbing on to anything or any organization that pets their heads and tells them "you're right, you deserve everything"

That's why Tatsuya asked Mibu what she wanted to do after the assembly.
She wanted to declare that there's more to a magician's worth than just their magic ability, ect ect. But in the end, she's just ranting about her own insecurity about her rank. So he wanted to know after that, what she planned to do after that. What's her plan on how to rationally bring about balance between course 1 and course 2?
Old 2014-04-27, 00:22   Link #1591
rladls716

Even though this is the fictional future, but it is still sad.
Even though these students are magicians, they are still human.
And not transcended into different species.

If Miyuki does not want other females win over Tatsuya, why would she always tries to appeal Tatsuya's good sides to Student Council and even now Mibu Sayaka added to this so called Miyuki's misunderstanding.
And Tatsuya knows he can't just refuse females just because Miyuki's jealousy.
Tatsuya has his own ways, so that things would go smoothly.
As we speak, Miyuki is still and will harden Tatsuya's smoothness with her ice powers that is.

Last edited by rladls716; 2014-04-27 at 00:30. Reason: Other topics
Old 2014-04-27, 00:26   Link #1592
XFire
150% done

Quote:

You misunderstood him.

Blanche claims that their is discrimination in favor of magicians because Magicians have a higher average salary. They want to eliminate this discrepancy.

Egalite wants their to be equality among magic students by removing magic ability as a point of evaluation.

Both of these are wonderful things on the surface. They also completely ignore reality.

Magic grades are used as evaluation because they are in a Magic High School. Its stated goal is to raise the strongest magicians possible. The divisions of classes is due to a limitation that neither the school nor the students can help: lack of teaching staff. So they naturally chose to focus what they could on those with higher potential.

You have two students. One studies for fifty hours a week and gets a 4.3 GPA. Another studies the same amount of time and gets a 3.0 GPA. Colleges are going to give a scholarship to the first student. That isn't discrimination, its a decision based on results.

For Blanche, the argument is even more ridiculous. The reason that Magicians have a higher average salary is because those employed as Magicians work in jobs that require substantial skill and talent and receive equivalent compensation in turn.

To put it in perspective, say you have a job that requires lifting fifty pound packages. You have three applicants: one who can lift fifty pounds, on who can lift thirty-five, and one with no arms. Obviously you hire the one that can accomplish the job.

Also, so supplementary info below

Spoiler for info:
Old 2014-04-27, 01:08   Link #1593
rladls716

On the other topic, even though Miyuki is a Course 1 student and maybe she is considered strongest of all freshmens, she still does not hold back her magic power while in "yandere" mode.
I think all Tatsuya wanted is a good life with her sister.
So Tatsuya might knows there are smooth ways to accomplish that.
Again, Tatsuya want whatever his is doing to progress smoothly, not freeze those smooth time and space.
And not absolutely Miyuki knocking Tatsuya out cold just to restart like Windows.
Tatsuya must win over Miyuki's heart and mind more than Miyuki must win over Tatsuya's heart and mind.
Old 2014-04-27, 01:10   Link #1594
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
You misunderstood him.

Blanche claims that their is discrimination in favor of magicians because Magicians have a higher average salary. They want to eliminate this discrepancy.

Egalite wants their to be equality among magic students by removing magic ability as a point of evaluation.

Both of these are wonderful things on the surface. They also completely ignore reality.

Magic grades are used as evaluation because they are in a Magic High School. Its stated goal is to raise the strongest magicians possible. The divisions of classes is due to a limitation that neither the school nor the students can help: lack of teaching staff. So they naturally chose to focus what they could on those with higher potential.

You have two students. One studies for fifty hours a week and gets a 4.3 GPA. Another studies the same amount of time and gets a 3.0 GPA. Colleges are going to give a scholarship to the first student. That isn't discrimination, its a decision based on results.

For Blanche, the argument is even more ridiculous. The reason that Magicians have a higher average salary is because those employed as Magicians work in jobs that require substantial skill and talent and receive equivalent compensation in turn.

To put it in perspective, say you have a job that requires lifting fifty pound packages. You have three applicants: one who can lift fifty pounds, on who can lift thirty-five, and one with no arms. Obviously you hire the one that can accomplish the job.

Also, so supplementary info below

Spoiler for info:
While what you said are all valid, I do like to chip in couple of thoughts.

In college, while they do rightfully honor 4.3 GPA students, most of the times you can't tell who is 4.3 and who is 3.0 just by looking at their uniform. This lets 4.3 easily blend in with 3.0 if he/she chooses. Also honoring someone after knowing 4.3 gpa is different from automatically honoring someone because of a mark on the uniform of about half the students. True recognition of individual achievement and effort can be made by really learning about those particular achievements and the personal history, not by some visible and easily felt class structure that forces people to recognize someone's superiority without knowing the details to the superiority. This is why some appearance of equal treatment and some systematic gestures to reduce part of the inequality among people helps in making the overall society strong and letting ALL people strive to do better.

Therefore , I think the main character went slightly too far by ignoring that some aspects of inequality shown in the series might be hurting the society as whole while talking negatively about some people desiring "more equality". After all, you need the society to be reasonably stable for it to be strong, and since people have emotions and egos, no matter how irrational it might be, it is worth pondering whether anything might be contributing to discontent of some people and whether it would really hurt to remove or reduce some of these surface reasons for the discontent.

Last edited by wontaek; 2014-04-27 at 01:22.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 01:10   Link #1595
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
On the other topic, even though Miyuki is a Course 1 student and maybe she is considered strongest of all freshmens, she still does not hold back her magic power while in "yandere" mode.
I think all Tatsuya wanted is a good life with her sister.
So Tatsuya might knows there are smooth ways to accomplish that.
Again, Tatsuya want whatever his is doing to progress smoothly, not freeze those smooth time and space.
Tatsuya must win over Miyuki's heart and mind more than Miyuki must win over Tatsuya's heart and mind.
Tatsuya has already won Miyuki over, heart, body, and soul.

Miyuki still hasn't........The only thing that Miyuki has earned from Tatsuya is his devotion and love and devotion is different for Tatsuya
fujin of shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 01:15   Link #1596
rladls716

Yes, Miyuki must not win, she should drop that idea of winning.
She already won, her goal is already complete.
If Miyuki want to go more beyond more than the current state of relationship, then she is no longer Shiba Tatsuya's brother.
And Tatsuya might be sad losing Miyuki like that and I mean Shiba Miyuki, Shiba Tatsuya's sister.
Old 2014-04-27, 01:15   Link #1597
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
For an organization like Blanche and Egalite who wanted to destroy discrimination, they're using necessary evil like magic to achieve their goals, especially on the latter.

All I can say for Ep. 4 is that I'm glad Tatsuya declined to join the kendo club because the captain wanted to use Tatsuya's Specific Magic Jamming for nefarious means.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 01:24   Link #1598
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
Yes, Miyuki must not win, she should drop that idea of winning.
She already won, her goal is already complete.
If Miyuki want to go more beyond more than the current state of relationship, then she is no longer Shiba Tatsuya's brother.
And Tatsuya might be sad losing Miyuki like that and I mean Shiba Miyuki, Shiba Tatsuya's sister.
Miyuki knows that Tatsuya would stay beside her forever as her brother.

Miyuki wants to have more from him.

Love can make people selfish, and that is the testament of true love.

After all, if a lover is selfish, it means that that person truly cares for you.
fujin of shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 02:24   Link #1599
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I want to make some comments about some recent posts in this thread (and in general):

1. A large tangent about the "immorality of incest" was deleted. This is distraction, and a topic that has been discussed ad naseum on this forum. If you want to talk about Miyuki's feelings for Tatsuya (and vice-versa), please keep it in the context of the anime as shown. If you really want to discuss the broad concept in general terms, there is a thread in General.

2. Related to the above, novel readers must avoid participating in speculative discussions about character development in anime threads because your advantage is way too big. This may mean you'll have to keep your mouth shut when you are most tempted to speak up and correct people's misconceptions. There are threads in the novel forum for you instead.

3. Posting novel translations on this site is not allowed, whether in this thread or in the novel forum. If you must post limited extracts that are necessary to do an on-topic comparison for content entirely already shown in the anime and do it behind properly-marked spoiler tags, then and only then might we allow it in this thread. (Please pay attention to how many qualifying statements I put there. It means the amount of acceptable cases is limited.) But this leads to the next point...

4. We have an entire thread for Anime Comparison & Speculation, so generally speaking comparisons should be limited in this thread only to those requested to clarify things that were shown (where it won't be explained later on), and again must be properly tagged. (If you create a blank spoiler tag or [ spoiler=spoiler ], I will may well develop an eternal grudge against you.) I don't have to explain that the mod team are watching the thread carefully, and are banning people that break the "no hinting" rule.

In general terms, please keep the thread on-topic and limited in scope to just the anime itself. Large tangents that steer the conversations in other directions are likely to be deleted in order to prevent further derailing.
Old 2014-04-27, 03:44   Link #1600
Arya

I'm liking the show, even with infodumps and the pace. And Tatsuya is the kind of MC that I prefer.
And I also like the main brother/sister relationship, I can feel them (as much I like Sora and Shiro one). Lt's see how the political issues will affect the school. It's look like is something that only Tatsuya is and would be able to handle (obviously of course ).

On a side note ... WTF, Mari has a boyfriend?? BS right? Weren't the girls of this show supposed to fall ALL for Tatsuya? I was liking her more and more even because she seemed to be immune to his charm so for the same reason being the one that would fit him best. Mmm, or she was just saying that that shu (?) was not his BF as Tatsuya was willingly implying. Honestly I didn't get that part very well. The most relevant part of it seemed to be that Tatsuya put Miyuki and Mari on the same level saying something about how both of them have high expectation from him (or something along these lines). Mari is standing out at his eyes, isn't she?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural