AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-12-03, 16:49   Link #1
marvelB

Sekai Oni

Here's an interesting title I discovered some time ago. I would've made a thread for this earlier, but translations were sparse at the time. It's different now that translations are coming out more regularly, though.

So! Here we have a series about a group of (mostly) kids fighting against "world devils" in a dream world that's vaguely based on Alice in Wonderland. But what's particularly interesting is that the line between "dream" and "reality" is quite a thin one, indeed. Even more interesting is the main character, a girl named Azuma (or Azma) who's suffering abuse from her family (poor thing even gets raped by her creepy uncle just as she faces the first world devil.... ). The art style may be a bit on the sketchy side, but I think it actually fits with the more creepy/disturbing visuals. Right now the translations are at the second world devil fight, and things have taken a rather interesting turn in the latest translated chapter. I think those who are familiar with Mob Psycho 100 might find this title interesting (both series even had a crossover a short while back!).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 01:44   Link #2
marvelB

Man, having read the last few translated chapters..... goddamn, this is one messed-up story. It turns out that killing the world devils comes at a heavy price for our "Alices"....

Spoiler for ch. 10:
Old 2014-12-17, 00:52   Link #3
marvelB

So I see that the author is basically making a running gag out of that Adachi guy being the first victim of the world devils after they're summoned. Sheesh, poor fella....

Anyways, I find it amusing how much more vicious Azuma became after learning of the twist behind killing the world devils (guess that's what proper motivation does for ya....). Also, I've seen a theory that (potential spoiler ahead):

Spoiler for theory:
Old 2014-12-17, 01:14   Link #4
luinna

azuma power was "killing intent" that means "wanna have sex" and "its my fault" can be power too doesn't it
luinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 04:48   Link #5
mc2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by luinna View Post
azuma power was "killing intent" that means "wanna have sex" and "its my fault" can be power too doesn't it
I think the "wanna have sex" is a strategy so that guy would die instead of her really close friend/family.
mc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 05:04   Link #6
marvelB

Speaking of that girl, I find it simultaneously hilarious and sad that she would choose to screw around with the bald crackhead over Adachi. I mean damn, that dude gets NO break, does he?
Old 2014-12-17, 07:50   Link #7
luinna

yeah it seems it will be running gag, adachi will be the first one that got taken out
Old 2014-12-17, 10:18   Link #8
Shiku359
Apprentice Tiger Hunter

This manga is great!! It's been a while to find another awesome series, though it's kinda sad that it'll become a short one. I mean, 3 out of 6 sekai oni/world demon has already been slain. Also, I was wondering... why bother putting information on the oni that have less than 4 pages screen time =-=

And is it just me, or you lot also noticed that 3 sekai oni left to kill, (Coincidentally) 3 of Azma's so called "relative". Does this mean that this is already set in stone?(Azma will deliver the finishing blow in exterminating 3 sekai oni/world demon).

I sincerely hope that the series will have a new arc after the world demons has been slaughtered.

Last edited by Shiku359; 2014-12-17 at 10:26. Reason: Name change
Shiku359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 16:16   Link #9
marvelB

I'd definitely say that the series isn't ending anytime soon, especially considering that the raws are currently up to the 84th chapter. (This is also a rare case where I choose not to spoil myself by looking ahead (for now at least), BTW.)

Anyways, I think it's clear that the six demons summoned by the Cheshire Devil won't be the only ones to deal with. It's already strongly implied that there's more devils all over the world to deal with (they are called world devils, after all). I mean, remember the chapter with the DJ in Argentina? It's probably like Gantz or something where there's a bunch of different "teams" all over the world battling the demons or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiku359 View Post
Also, I was wondering... why bother putting information on the oni that have less than 4 pages screen time =-=

Why not? I think it's interesting to learn more about the world devils, including the ones that had little screentime. I don't think it's a bad thing for a series to expand on its lore!
Old 2014-12-17, 18:04   Link #10
luinna

the guy who always close to azuma lolicon isnt he
Old 2014-12-17, 20:18   Link #11
Shiku359
Apprentice Tiger Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyways, I think it's clear that the six demons summoned by the Cheshire Devil won't be the only ones to deal with. It's already strongly implied that there's more devils all over the world to deal with (they are called world devils, after all). I mean, remember the chapter with the DJ in Argentina? It's probably like Gantz or something where there's a bunch of different "teams" all over the world battling the demons or something like that.
Well i thought the series is only focusing in JP sekai oni and after that some epilouge.
Putting it aside, well kinda glad that it has ongoing 84? chapters! So... after the JP side is cleared, is azma and co. will be teleported on another server?(or another country's dimension).So... another set of MCs or is Azma got teleported too (me like her battle trance).
Old 2014-12-19, 09:07   Link #12
marvelB

Whoa, things are really heating up in chapter 14! Now Azuma must face a fellow "Alice"....!!

Also, lol at Horny Girl even getting rejected by the freaking demon.
Old 2014-12-19, 11:11   Link #13
xlghostpepperlx

There may still be galaxy and universe devils ... and everything in between. But kidding aside I like that theory that the dude is or somehow connected to the bird

I doubt he is a lolicon, cuz isn't that nympho girl one too? I'm curious as what's her deal hopefully it's not that she's a nymphomaniac
xlghostpepperlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 00:42   Link #14
marvelB

^If I had to take a guess, I'd say that girl probably lived a life similar to Azuma's in which she's been sexually abused. At the very least it's clear that she's emotionally unstable, because she went from being pretty normal the first few times we saw her to suddenly becoming like a cat in heat as soon as she had a fling with some random train molester. In fact, everyone in the "Alice" group seems to be mentally/emotionally unstable in some way (though the manga author guy hasn't shown any obvious sign of instability just yet).....

Oh, and I forgot to mention it earlier, but I really like the design of Azuma's helmet! Reminds me a lot of Griffith's Femto mask from Berserk (it's also a nice touch that it's even shaped like her bird)!
Old 2014-12-21, 05:46   Link #15
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlghostpepperlx View Post
I'm curious as what's her deal hopefully it's not that she's a nymphomaniac
I'm not sure what her motives are (if there are any), but there's a panel that shows panties sitting next to a jar of honey. There's an English word that is used as slang for someone who is trying to seduce others, it's called a honeypot (or honeytrap). Honey can also be slang for sexual fluids (usually from a woman, hence the use of the word honeypot).

This has a dual meaning, because the chapter is called Honey. There is also a phrase "You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar", which is scientifically incorrect but it essentially means "if you offer favorable conditions, you'll attract people/things".

The most mentally broken person there was Saeki. Remember, the Chesire Devil was talking about how devils love gaps, and they seek them out. She's about as empty of a shell as one can get.

A honeytrap, basically.

Side note: I loved the tentacle sex joke. Talk about being shut down, heh.
Old 2014-12-21, 08:50   Link #16
marvelB

Speaking of that Saeki girl, the latest translated chapter revealed a bit of her background. Boy, is that one creepy tattoo....
Old 2014-12-21, 09:05   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Yeah, definitely. It makes me wonder how she got away from a guy like that.
Old 2014-12-21, 09:40   Link #18
Shiku359
Apprentice Tiger Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention it earlier, but I really like the design of Azuma's helmet! Reminds me a lot of Griffith's Femto mask from Berserk (it's also a nice touch that it's even shaped like her bird)!
More like the helmet in the original Gatchaman Anime Series(the classic one)....
Old 2014-12-21, 10:11   Link #19
Tormenk

Well the translated chapters thus far have definitely hooked me onto this. Plot vaguely reminds me of Bokurano but this is a different beast on its own.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 10:18   Link #20
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Oh this is nothing. It's going to get absolutely bonkers in a chapter or two.