Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2015-01-03, 14:42   Link #1981
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXtreme View Post
I thought most people didn't like Ryukishi's art, even here.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I feel like majority of the people here prefer Ryukishi's graphics over MangaGamer's.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 16:36   Link #1982
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07th View Post
When you address someone in speech, you put commas around the addressing part, or you will confuse the reader greatly.

Like that detective — like that detective guy.
Like that, detective — it's done like that, Mr. Detective.

And, man, homosexual rape theme for a test? Hey, Mr. Freud, whaddaya say?
Don't ask, I have an odd sense of humor. But, do you always put a comma when addressing people? Example:

"What do you think Mion?"
"What do you think, Mion?"

Because, I have only entered a comma if the original text took one. Although, I read it as if someone were saying the text so having a comma when addressing someone would make me think they took a pause before saying the rest of their line, so I don't have a problem. But, I probably have a very poor understanding.

Anyway, foes the same also apply for:

"No way, you too?"
"No way, you, too?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
From what I saw, majority posting in this thread prefers Ryukishi's graphics, but that's only from my point of view.

I like MG's set the best of all the Higurashi sets. I definitely feel like I am a minority here.
I personally don't prefer any to a great extent, they all kinda do their own thing.

Quote:
I can't stand Ryukishi's sprites and would much prefer MangaGamer's if I didn't object to MangaGamer for moral reasons.
Really? Is it because of "that" sprite or do you just not like the artstyle? They do have their charm, which is why I like them. But I think you made vanilla Satoko cry with your statement, just look what you have done.
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 16:41   Link #1983
GrAVit

Commas are generally used to indicate a slight pause in speech. So when you say "What do you think, Mion?" you have a slight pause before addressing the person by their name.

Though, if you say "No way, you too?" it feels a lot more natural than "No way, you, too?" since in speech, that second pause would be unnecessary and would make it sound more awkward.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 18:02   Link #1984
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
I never liked the art style, but now that I said that I'm not fond of MangaGamer's for moral reasons, I guess I should say that I disapprove of Ryukishi's for similar reasons as well.
And yet you have no problem with Alchemist, who are giving away notebooks with images of Rika in a pantyshot and Hanyuu getting undressed?

Anyway, I never really liked the Alchemist sprites all that much. They always seemed kind of... Emotionless. I don't know, they just didn't seem very expressive, and that's why I prefer the Vanilla. (Love their Umineko sprites, though.)

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 2015-01-03 at 18:25.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 18:48   Link #1985
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
Spoiler for NSFW?:

There's also this CG in the Hanyuu route I think?

For me, I like the Vanilla & MG sprites better. Like with Mr. Dent, I also think the Alchemist sprites seem kind of emotionless.

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 18:53   Link #1986
Observer1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Anyway, I never really liked the Alchemist sprites all that much. They always seemed kind of... Emotionless. I don't know, they just didn't seem very expressive, and that's why I prefer the Vanilla. (Love their Umineko sprites, though.)

Yes, in my opinion, out of all Alchemist update sprites for 07th expansion, Umineko sprites has the best style. I kind of wish they would of done their Higurashi sprites in the same style though since I, too, think their Higurashi sprites seem kind of emotionless.
Observer1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 18:54   Link #1987
GrAVit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu Koneko View Post
Spoiler for NSFW?:

For me, I like the Vanilla & MG sprites better. Like with Mr. Dent, I also think the Alchemist sprites seem kind of emotionless.
Woah woah what? Hanyuu route? Which game is this? lol
Old 2015-01-03, 18:55   Link #1988
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Hanyuu's past, I believe. I presume this is the scene when the Furude boy accidentally finds her naked.
Old 2015-01-03, 19:15   Link #1989
Joly
モエカステル

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
Woah woah what? Hanyuu route? Which game is this? lol
Kotohogushi-hen, from Higurashi Kizuna IV.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 19:33   Link #1990
TheGuraGuraMan

Levani said it for Hanyu's CG.

Otherwise, about the sprites, I'll say it : Alchemist's are overall clearly the best choice.

For the Vanilla ones, they have several problems : terrible anatomy, bad coloring, the sprites don't have any consistency at all, especially when you put one of the girls with an adult, or the stupid stuff with Takano's height in nurse for example. Since they weren't done at the same time, some don't even have the same kind of look, like the way the girl's hairs are made in comparison to the rest of the cast, which can break the homogeneity we should have. And one last thing that is more annoying than it seems, a white stupid outline for some of the sprites, that should never happen. On the other hand, the expressions are great, and they're the originals after all. And even with the previous problems, sprites like Takano's and Akane's still looks pretty cool.

As for Mangagamer's, they have a precise coloring and lining which makes them good looking. But then what ? They're way too shinny, making them like right coming from an eroge, the anatomy is stupid as fuck for several characters, and some of them are butchered beyond saving : talking about you Mion and Rika. Overall, all of them have stupid stuff : Tomitake looks like a fishman, Chie is wetting herself for no reason, Oishi looks like a character from One Piece thanks for this retarded nose, and Rena looks too moeblob. Satoko, Shion and Irie (if they could just make his nose a little less bigger) are good tough. But that's not enough. As for the expressions, we didn't get to see all of them, but they're okay, if not pretty good sometimes.

Then we have Alchemist : first, even if you want to ignore it, they're completed by a fuckton of CGs, and beautiful backgrounds. The original photo BGs aren't that bad, but it's miles from the drawn ones, who also have sunset states and way better done night modes. As for the sprites themselves : there are WAY many, and that shall also count. Kumagai, Kimiyoshi, young Rika, young Mion, Kameda, Okamura, Tomita, Oryo, more expressions for Akane and casual clothes for Hanyu.
The sprites themselves are, like Mangagamer's, well done : lining and coloring looks good, and it's not stupidly shinny. They don't have any of the problems from the vanilla, and neither they have way too stupid choices like for Mangagamer. The Kizuna update also improved the Matsuri ones to fix the out of character sprites : I mean Kei's and Akasaka's obviously, who looks way more like the Vanilla. The girls are also sexy without that getting to stupid extents compared to Mangagamer's.
And finally, some people say the expressions are weak. I don't get it. The vanilla have a way more chibi like look, and overall, making them more like their age is better to me, especially Rena. It's obvious they won't have the same faces as the vanilla, doesn't make them bad in any way, just different.
I can understand if some looks doesn't suit everyone (Takano), but overall there are way more problems for the other choices and way more good points here.

Last edited by TheGuraGuraMan; 2015-01-03 at 19:43.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 19:46   Link #1991
GrAVit

Hmm.. I played only a little bit with the original sprites before I felt like getting the HD Alchemist sprites.

I can see why some people prefer the original sprites, as they were the original way the characters were depicted, just how Ryukishi himself intended.
The MangaGamer ones are kind of a mixed bag. Some look good, some not as good, but I think it's a matter of getting used to it.

I personally prefer the Alchemist ones, the characters aren't hogging the entire screen and the fact that they look somewhat more humane gives me a better experience when it comes to immersion, it's easier to take it seriously.
Old 2015-01-03, 20:31   Link #1992
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu Koneko View Post
Spoiler for NSFW?:

She looks like a child, isn't she meant to be an adult? And just wait for the full PS3 background with that black mid-section removed. Also, I actually find Alchemists PS2 sprites full of life, while their Umineko ones on the other hand have no soul, or gusto.

Quote:
Hanyuu's past, I believe. I presume this is the scene when the Furude boy accidentally finds her naked.
That's incredibly clique, and unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
Otherwise, about the sprites, I'll say it : Alchemist's are overall clearly the best choice.
More like preference. Even if the original has mess ups and such, they could still be considered part of it's art style. Also, Oishi's bell nose and Tomitake's Rob Lifield muscles sure are distracting, you'd think they'd have at least checked those over before finalising them. Too bad though, I'm sure they could have been done better. And lol at the One Piece references.

Last edited by xPearse; 2015-01-03 at 20:43.
Old 2015-01-03, 21:57   Link #1993
einhorn303

Quote:
I thought most people didn't like Ryukishi's art, even here.
Well, I love it, for one Most of the people I know IRL who've played Higurashi/Umineko feel the same way, too.

For me this whole MangaGamer vs. Alchemist argument is a moot point, since I'll always prefer the original sprites! I actually do think that MangaGamer's art is "better" than the previous ports, but as people have already said, a bit too sexualized. And I hate how excessively "evil looking" they made Takano.

I actually tried to play Higurashi with an art patch, just to try it out, but I couldn't. It just didn't feel right.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 23:57   Link #1994
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
And I hate how excessively "evil looking" they made Takano.
Oh, gosh, that's probably the biggest problem I had with their sprites. I could ignore the anatomy and such as stylization, but Takano's sprite reeeeeally rubbed me the wrong way. When reading the original version I felt like her smile was more gentle than anything else, which is what I think was the idea- What could be creepier than this woman with suck a kindly smile on her face talking about curses and torture and cannibalism? The MG version just makes her look like she's up to something. Which she is. And if the audience knows that then they're missing out on a lot of fun.

Quote:
I actually tried to play Higurashi with an art patch, just to try it out, but I couldn't. It just didn't feel right.
I feel like this might be why I found Alchemist's sprites so dead looking? The patch is incomplete, is missing several backgrounds, contains no CGs, contains no voice-acting, and, given all the other things it's missing, is probably also missing some sprites. I feel like this is could be why I didn't enjoy it.

Quote:
Second favorite, Higurashi Daybreak Portable (non-Mega Edition).

...T-they all look so shady! All of their eyes are shifting to the side, they're clearly up to something!
Old 2015-01-04, 08:17   Link #1995
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Also, I actually find Alchemists PS2 sprites full of life, while their Umineko ones on the other hand have no soul, or gusto.

Quote:
That's incredibly clique, and unnecessary.
Other than that it happens, I have no idea how it plays out and have no knowledge of this story.
Old 2015-01-04, 08:33   Link #1996
07th

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
Don't ask, I have an odd sense of humor. But, do you always put a comma when addressing people? Example:

"What do you think Mion?"
"What do you think, Mion?"
Yes, you should definitely put commas, otherwise the meaning of the phrase would get distorted. Even with my limited knowledge of English punctuation, i'm steel sure of that.

Quote:
Anyway, foes the same also apply for:

"No way, you too?"
"No way, you, too?"
Well, usually "too" is too closely related to "you" to leave it out, so the first example would be preferred. That depends on context sometimes.

Quote:
Huh, such an old cliche, yet so good in making the love plot from nothing.
And this unrelated music goes so well with it.
07th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 09:26   Link #1997
xPearse

Quote:

Other than that it happens, I have no idea how it plays out and have no knowledge of this story.
Well, I've only had a look at a bunch of the sprites and compared them to the Higurashi one's so I haven't seen them in action. And add in the fact I've never read Umineko and have no attachment to those characters also play into things, so my judgement is probably biased.

The 3D model ones look much better than the sprites, and they're much cuter looking.
Old 2015-01-04, 11:59   Link #1998
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Oh, gosh, that's probably the biggest problem I had with their sprites. I could ignore the anatomy and such as stylization, but Takano's sprite reeeeeally rubbed me the wrong way. When reading the original version I felt like her smile was more gentle than anything else, which is what I think was the idea- What could be creepier than this woman with suck a kindly smile on her face talking about curses and torture and cannibalism? The MG version just makes her look like she's up to something. Which she is. And if the audience knows that then they're missing out on a lot of fun.
Yup, though to be fair, this isn't just MangaGamer's problem. Various companies keep on giving the "34 is the culprit!" spoiler away in OPs, manga volume covers, etc. SMH.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 16:20   Link #1999
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Thread is currently closed for a major clean-up.

Once the thread is open, I trust that all parties will move on, considering the latest debate was going anywhere, flirting between personal attacks and whatever unecessary remarks they may be.
Old 2015-01-04, 16:44   Link #2000
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Aaah, sorry for all the trouble... Eheh, this fanbase is certainly opinionated, I cannot lie... So, what do you think the chances are that Yen Press will license more of the Higurashi manga? They released Dice-Killing, but no word since then... (Though they are doing Umineko Chiru apparently.)