AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-26, 15:31   Link #261
KiraDouji

To summarize: "All's fair in love and war" ;P Seriously though, it feels like a lot of people are forgetting some things.

1) The class doesn't represent the person's personality, it augments an ability.
2) Samurai means "to serve" - IE: master says stab that guy in the back, you darn well better stab him in the back. Even if the individual's interpretation of Bushido (yes there are different interpretations, especially following the samurai's transition from warrior to gentry) doesn't agree with that you /still/ have the command marks. Of course, traditionally, you'd just kill yourself, but let's not get into a discussion on that, ne?

So. If you take the first point into account, then you'll notice that the class "assassin" is applied as "rogue" or "thief" is in classic RPGs. That is to say, the character relies mostly on agility and speed. Many small hits versus very few large hits. That's it. If you think of it in gaming terms Kojiro makes perfect sense for this class. As does everyone else in regards to their classes. The class definition merely augments a skill, ability or overall fighting technique of the servant. It's actually a pretty smart system.

- Kira
KiraDouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 15:37   Link #262
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

I thought Kojiro, was a Ronin who taught himself and created his own sword technique with that longer than normal sword, also for some reason he doesnt use the usual 2 sword arrangment of a wakazashi and a tanto, but he my have been around before that was brought in as a standard for samurai's, or just ignored that and went with his own sword.

I know of a middle eastern story that explains where the word assasin comes from and a person associated with it.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 15:51   Link #263
Archer

If it makes anybody feel any better, this Assassin is not a 'True' Assassin, thanks to complications in his summoning.

This is the first time in any of the wars that the Servant for the Assassin class was not chosen from a specific line of assassins (which will not be named to make this less spoilerish than it already is).
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 16:19   Link #264
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanthraX^
I thought Kojiro, was a Ronin who taught himself and created his own sword technique with that longer than normal sword, also for some reason he doesnt use the usual 2 sword arrangment of a wakazashi and a tanto, but he my have been around before that was brought in as a standard for samurai's, or just ignored that and went with his own sword.

I know of a middle eastern story that explains where the word assasin comes from and a person associated with it.
Actually, many samurai just taught themselves, especially the most famous ones. Kojirou fall indeed in this category.

The arrangement of the swords was one wakizashi and one katana. Usually, all samurai had one sword of each type. But the wakizashi was only a auxiliary weapon.

However, dual-wielding samurai were kind of rare. And the first samurai who trully invented and perfected this technique was... Miyamoto Musashi. For a right-handed samurai, the katana was wielded in the right hand and used for attack whereas the wakizashi was wielded in the left hand and mostly used for defense. Miyamoto's goal was clear : "If you can't kill your ennemy when wielding your katana single-handedly, use your second hand". Thus, he wanted his disciples to first perfect the mastering of single-handed katana wielding by forcing them to use something else in their left hand. Which would also increase indirectly their skills at the usual two-handed katana wielding.
Thus, Kojirou couldn't know of this style, since they lived around the same time. Though he could have had the usual two swords arrangement you mentioned.

But, Kojirou was a samurai who preferred a long, two-handed sword (and usually unsheathed ) : a tachi, rather than the usual katana. Thus, an auxiliary weapon was usually of no use (except maybe, a Koshigatana, a shorter Tanto).

Standards are not something that the most famous samurai abided by ^^.

Thanks for this further explanation Kira ~
gammaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 16:24   Link #265
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

I bring this topic up again... It's kinda forgotten.

Well, I wanted to ask Makube if he has any of these official spoilers for the upcoming episode...
Old 2006-05-01, 16:43   Link #266
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaoh
Well, I wanted to ask Makube if he has any of these official spoilers for the upcoming episode...
That one he posted about Archer coming back was a fake - it was talked about on some forums i go on, and how people are editing the information - maybe the one that was posted was real.. but at this point i'm not gonna trust anything.
Old 2006-05-01, 17:07   Link #267
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
I don't know too much about samurais and stuff you're talking about, but if they must summon an assassin as an assassin class, there'll be no one you can pick. 'cause come and think of it, who's the best assassin in the whole world?

Someone no one will see, hear, talk about, smell, notice. Someone as non-existant as though as they don't exist. So TM want the assassin class, the game creaters find a darned character to fit in. (anyways...apart from HF, assassin have always been an add-on: the story could have gone on without him anyways)

Last edited by iamandragon; 2006-05-06 at 14:09.
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 17:46   Link #268
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

Yeah, but Kojirou rocks anyway. And he has assassination skills such as presence concealment. Another feature of an assassin is to be somewhat unpredictable, which he is as well.

True he's not the best choice (unlike Hassan Sabbah). But this is not nonsense. Since class are just a concept with a rule that applies to it, I really don't fussy about it. I love the characs, it's all that matters. And since we all have our points of view, we won't agree on anything.

@Angelsama: well, I'm starting to get distrustful about all this. But since Makube usually don't post fakes, I'll disregard this. The thing that made me think it was a fake was the fact that it was a screenshot from a website (anyone would have provided a direct link instead of a screenshot that can be easily photoshoped).
We're already at ep 17, we should get some more info by now.
Old 2006-05-04, 21:40   Link #269
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
We shall see after ep 18. Fake or not, that is.

Fake/Stay Night?
Old 2006-05-05, 07:37   Link #270
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
We shall see after ep 18. Fake or not, that is.

Fake/Stay Night?
Nice Stormy.. really nice. >_>
Old 2006-05-06, 11:17   Link #271
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

It is strange that we still haven't got any update on the upcoming episodes on Web NT.
Old 2006-05-06, 12:35   Link #272
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I'm just wondering if Fanservice Servant (Rider) is coming back sometime soon without such a bastard/cowardly/abusive master as Shinji. Have Sakura take Rider...and then have Rider and Saber decide to duke it out...in the bathtub!
Old 2006-05-06, 13:08   Link #273
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

No, i don't think Rider's coming back now - theres no place for her.
Old 2006-05-06, 13:10   Link #274
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

Yeah, Gil's arc is starting in the next eppy and will most likely conclude the show. Don't tell me you really believed there was a possibility for her to come back...
Old 2006-05-06, 13:52   Link #275
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Conclude?! It's only been 18 eps! And this is a fighting anime! Don't these things go on for hundreds!? And sure there's a place for Rider. In the Shirou harem along with saber, rin, taiga, Ilya (OKAY WTF, ILYA IS A GUY'S NAME IN RUSSIAN...), and if Saber and Rider ever get ticked off with each other, well, that's why we have a bathtub and plenty of beds.

Rider got so shafted though . She has so many beautiful aspects about her, yet gets a cowardly/weak/abusive master and sacrifices herself for him, just so he could get cut down anyway?! Whoever's directing this anime is like Fuckuda from GSD...kills the hottest chick off in such an unfair way
Old 2006-05-06, 14:15   Link #276
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Fate/Stay Night ends in episode 26.
Rider is destroyed--completely destroyed in her last fight with Saber. No one could survive that over-powered beam cannon--not even Zeus.

The name Illya is a pun(I think). Illya infact is not a human and therefore has no 'sex'. It's just she has a girl's body, thinks and acts like one.(okay so what's the difference between Illya and a girl?)

I remember there's a writer called Rosen(okay that's not his real name in fact...I just translated his name into English)...he's pretty famous for always killing the character the readers like the most...so in the end everytime he put up a 'vote your favourite character poll' we all vote for the one we want to die--and thus they die.
Old 2006-05-06, 14:20   Link #277
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
Fate/Stay Night ends in episode 26.
24 eps.

Ilya is a shorten ver of her name.
Old 2006-05-06, 15:14   Link #278
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

Anyway, I just hope it's gonna remain Saber x Shirou until the very end. And another ending for Saber than the one from the game. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Old 2006-05-06, 15:18   Link #279
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Oh woops. only 24?
Old 2006-05-06, 15:22   Link #280
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

Yeah, 24 only. I wouldn't have complained for an extra two...