AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-03, 09:52   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was pretty decent, but I think that to get the most out of this show, I'll have to read the original manga by Tezuka which I'm going to do as soon as I can. I've been waiting to read it for ages, now I have a good excuse.
Old 2015-10-03, 11:12   Link #22
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The first episode is pretty good for a Black Jack anime. It’s nice to see Blac...sorry...Hazama Kuroo’s very first surgery animated using modern technique. And many of chara-designs of the original characters from the manga are touched up to look more modern. What’s not to like? It’s a very good prequel so far.

Still, I'm guessing there will be some weird things and cases later on in the anime, just like the original manga. Bring on the weirdness, I'm ready .
Old 2015-10-03, 12:06   Link #23
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

First episode is okay, I suppose. Though it should be better if we can see the actual surgery scene. The original Black Jack manga did not avoid the blood and gore to show us the skills of the doctors and the realistic medical surgery knowledge, which I really enjoyed.

Having read the original BJ manga, I already know the fate of all of these characters in their later years, and from the look of the OP we can get the details of some of their stories that was mentioned as past events in the original BJ manga.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 17:39   Link #24
Yamada II

Episode 1
Interesting. I was hoping they would show more during the surgery instead of just him talking. But then they wouldn't be sure of what they're doing since they probably want to keep the operation parts a bit realistic and not go into the fantasy realm.

So this was Hazama's first operation and it was a success. He's a weird fellow always operating in his mind and not giving a damn about what the others are doing. His imaginary operation is more important than anything. He takes on the case of a kid losing an arm and leg and he puts them back successfully. He looked confident throughout but was really shaking like crazy since there were risks involved. The kid's father turns out to be a bastard who tried to save some money even though Hazama performed a seemingly impossible operation. What an ungrateful selfish jerk.

This should mostly focus on stuff like this: Hazama doing the seemingly impossible and people ending up being ungrateful bastards but he still presses on. That'll be great.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 18:30   Link #25
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't know anything about the background of this story so I'm a total newbie. Intriguing first episode, I thought. It was a little corny at times but I chalk that up to the retro feel which I like overall so I guess it's worth it. The 60s backdrop is nice but the author seems to have a negative opinion on the Japanese protest movement in the 60s. Don't know much about Japanese politics to judge that though.

I thought Hazama was a bit too "out there" at first (especially his design) but the vulnerability he showed after the operation really helped ground his character.

From a medical perspective, I don't know how feesable it would've been to drag a boy with lost limbs to another hospital like that though. Then again, I'm a pharmacist not a paramedic so what do I know? XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 19:02   Link #26
Ghostfriendly

Ep 1 was interesting.
Spoiler for ep 1:
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 19:32   Link #27
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
From a medical perspective, I don't know how feesable it would've been to drag a boy with lost limbs to another hospital like that though. Then again, I'm a pharmacist not a paramedic so what do I know? XP
Sssh, don't think too deeply about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Interns ditching emergency patients for a protest sounds like something contrived for dramatic effect.
Yeah, seriously. Same with the boy's father suddenly doing a 180 degree turn and becoming a two-dimensionally evil, greedy, ungrateful dick. I know what the story is trying to say but that's just not how humans work.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 19:50   Link #28
Amiluhur
Gondok

Eh, i just realised that a rookie with no experience in actual surgery could "detect" which blood vessel should be lifted for grafting by concentrating hard enough.
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 21:14   Link #29
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a good start but the people are greedy and stupid leting a kid stay on the tracks
Old 2015-10-03, 21:19   Link #30
Tri-ring

Quote:
Interns ditching emergency patients for a protest sounds like something contrived for dramatic effect.
This actually happened a lot in the anti Anpo rallies in the 60's.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 21:25   Link #31
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The Student Movement and Student Uprising in 1968 Japan is real (and it is more complex than we think). And by doing protests for their own welfare, them not caring for (and abandoning) the emergency patients is not really a stretch. Things like that happen in real life when people are being selfish and only think about their own pockets & stomachs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Yeah, seriously. Same with the boy's father suddenly doing a 180 degree turn and becoming a two-dimensionally evil, greedy, ungrateful dick. I know what the story is trying to say but that's just not how humans work.
Ok, I’ll be the devil’s advocate here. I won’t necessarily call what he’s done being a two-dimensional evil. Likely after he found out that the one who operate his son isn’t a real doctor, he became a bit mad and that factor brought the asshole in him by cutting his deal with Hazama short. Though you can tell that he’s still very grateful to him by giving him that sum of money (which is not a small amount either for that era) and even left him with a bit of encouragement that with his skill, he’ll be a great doctor and will receive lotsa money without doing “this kind of thing”. I'm not saying what he's done is good or acceptable. But I think it's not outright evil like you said either.
Old 2015-10-03, 22:29   Link #32
Jaden

Yea, it's possible the guy did that thinking of his family's future. The ¥5,000,000 deal was made under quite a bit of duress. His son will be able to move his limbs in some years if he's lucky and there's no complications. I'm sure his rehabilitation would come with some cost.
Old 2015-10-04, 04:49   Link #33
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The Student Movement and Student Uprising in 1968 Japan is real (and it is more complex than we think). And by doing protests for their own welfare, them not caring for (and abandoning) the emergency patients is not really a stretch. Things like that happen in real life when people are being selfish and only think about their own pockets & stomachs.
I find it really difficult to believe that from dozens and dozens of doctors-in-training everyone would ignore something like "Help, people are dying here!" Sure, I understand that they wanted to create a convenient situation for Hazama to step in, but it would've been easier to send the protesters off somewhere so nobody else would be around, instead of trying to make us believe this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Ok, I’ll be the devil’s advocate here. I won’t necessarily call what he’s done being a two-dimensional evil. Likely after he found out that the one who operate his son isn’t a real doctor, he became a bit mad and that factor brought the asshole in him by cutting his deal with Hazama short. Though you can tell that he’s still very grateful to him by giving him that sum of money (which is not a small amount either for that era) and even left him with a bit of encouragement that with his skill, he’ll be a great doctor and will receive lotsa money without doing “this kind of thing”. I'm not saying what he's done is good or acceptable. But I think it's not outright evil like you said either.
I think this interpretation would perhaps work if it wasn't for what we saw and heard in the actual scene. In the scene the father was clearly arrogant and condescending, there's not a lick of gratefulness, and the "encouragement" is not encouragement at all, it's a patronizing "son, you're good, you'll make big money in the future so work hard, hahaha".
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 05:29   Link #34
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I find it really difficult to believe...........
Fine then.

Quote:
In the scene the father was clearly arrogant and condescending,.....
This part I agree. Like I said, knowing Hazama’s identity seem to bring his inner asshole-ness and elistist-ness as a rich guy.

Quote:
there's not a lick of gratefulness,.....
This part I don’t agree. If he was to be a complete asshole, he could just report Hazama and not paying him whatsoever. Instead, he gave him 500 grand yen (which is still a lot of money in the 60s) for what he did for his son. So I say his gratefulness is more than just a lick .

Quote:
and the "encouragement" is not encouragement at all, it's a patronizing "son, you're good, you'll make big money in the future so work hard, hahaha".
At the very least there’s no harm in his comment, and what he said is actually true. If Hazama act on it, he can truly be an excellent doctor (professionally speaking).
Old 2015-10-04, 15:33   Link #35
Yamada II

Quote:
I find it really difficult to believe that from dozens and dozens of doctors-in-training everyone would ignore something like "Help, people are dying here!" Sure, I understand that they wanted to create a convenient situation for Hazama to step in, but it would've been easier to send the protesters off somewhere so nobody else would be around, instead of trying to make us believe this...
This stuff actually happens though in real life. Like, just the other day most of the doctors in a government hospital went on strike in my country. No one gave a damn about the patients and they refused to work until their demands were met. And these were doctors, not students. We also see frequent protests from in training doctors doing their house job and stuff when they want some new demands or the government messes with them. Nurses also go on strike at times here too. It may not happen in your country, but stuff like this does happen. And most of these protesting doctors are stubborn as hell. You may get a few who would put aside their issues in case of an emergency, but most aren't like that.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 18:41   Link #36
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

was anyone else yelling "JUST GET OUT OF THE WAY OF THE TRAIN TRACKS YOU IDIOTS"

Anyways, it was a cool episode, though i dont know anything about the series, it looks to be pretty intense especially with that preview
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 20:56   Link #37
Fairy Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
was anyone else yelling "JUST GET OUT OF THE WAY OF THE TRAIN TRACKS YOU IDIOTS"
me
it's fcking annoying when all u can do is step down and move about 5 steps

but s.o has to injure so that our young BJ could show off his skill
everyone is so beautiful, it's like +80 levels up from original art
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-05, 15:13   Link #38
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

also i cant stop jammin to
"IIIII AM JUST FEELIN ALIVE!!!"
so...sexy..
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-07, 04:58   Link #39
Arya

Came into this with no knowledge. Don't know why I decided to watch this. And, well, it seems interesting in terms of setting and characters. What I'm dubious of is the writing, I mean, nobody could grab the kid and save him? They were like 1 meter away Is it really possible to practice such a surgery, and not before having token away the patient, and his cut parts, without any consequences for the doctor/apprentice?
And then, was its first time he did a surgery? It was so over the top that in the aftermath I thought he had some sort payback ala Darker than Black instead of him just shaking (not sure even now, btw)

So, all in all, I don't know if I will be able to buy all these contrivances if they will keep arriving in packs.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-07, 13:19   Link #40
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

IIIII AM JUST FEELING ALIVE~

click my sig