AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-02-18, 15:30   Link #341
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Having waited a whole week for what looked like it promised to be a Succubus-san-centric episode from the title, I'm pretty disappointed in the outcome. Indeed, episode 7 is now my least favorite episode.

Actually, it's the only episode that I've been disappointed in and it's all due to the overwhelming amount of anime-only screen-time given to Kurt. I didn't particularly care for him in the manga, and now I care for him even less. If I'm gonna re-watch the episode, I'm going to have edit out all of his anime-only scenes first.

If the anime staff was going to create a whole lot of anime-only, obviously filler scenes for this episode, why not create scenes with Succubus-san as a young girl? Or fantasizing about Iron Man-sensei? Now that would have been a hell of a lot more interesting.

If we never see Kurt again, I couldn't be happier.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 18:35   Link #342
drawr

I guess Kurt(z) is an incubus. Would explain him not being affected. I liked this part of the series since I enjoy anything that highlights Sakie as the main love interest and downplays the harem antics with the students. The things some succubi do are pretty messed up but it seems their male counterparts don't do anything.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 18:44   Link #343
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The scene in hallway between Sakie-sensei and the detective was one of the best in the series. The acting was especially strong as well. Overall I liked this episode a lot, because much of it centered around sexuality, particularly adult sexuality, without being lewd. I did think the picture of Sakie on the phone was pretty enticing though.

To me this felt like the best episode so far. We've put the girls' dramas with Takahashi somewhat on hold at the moment. I watched the ED this time around. Sakie is the center of attention, particularly when she is standing in front of the tree. The girls are in their own orbits around her, but the ED director places her right in the middle of the shot.

I don't have any manga experience so I don't have a pre-disposed attitude toward Kurtz. I thought his introduction helped keep the show fresh by introducing a new character, and a boy at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimmorathi View Post
I have a feeling that Kurtz is an incubus.
That would be my guess, too. It provides a rationale for his implausible selection as a police officer. Aren't incubi supposed to be immune to succubi? If so, they'd be useful if you're targeting succubi for particular scrutiny as Ugaki suggests. My only knowledge of incubi and succubi comes from watching Junketsu no Maria, so I'm still illiterate.

I also admired the emphasis on discrimination. Attitudes toward demis have improved enough that a dullahan can walk around a Japanese high school and not cause a fuss. Still demis have been icons for "the others" of any variety in this show, a subtle criticism of ethnocentric Japanese attitudes.

The issue of discrimination becomes more acute and personal as we watch Sakie and Ugaki talk about the reasons they know each other so well. The burden of being a succubus makes Sakie's dreams of marriage especially touching.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-02-18 at 19:17.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 18:45   Link #344
SamCurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawr View Post
Kurt(z)
Please note that the official manga translation by Kodansha Comics also spell him as Kurtz.
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 19:36   Link #345
Ghostfriendly

Detective is a convincingly written male chauvinist pig, though he evidently means well. His description of Succubus 'crimes' was basically the supernatural version of 'she was asking for it in that skirt'; no normal woman would willingly be molested, and the punishment of the man would not be worse than what she had experienced. Yet the detective actually goes round Succubi and warns them not to use their powers in this way; being a Succubus is clearly worse than we thought. I imagined Succubus crimes would be seducing men and fleecing them of their money, or persuading Tom Felton to assassinate the Duke of Buckingham; not, getting themselves molested. The biggest legal problem with Succubi is that convicting anyone who molested them would be difficult, unless it could be proved that the Succubus never touched them; whether intentionally or not, the 'aura' would be a mitigating circumstance.

Sakie's motor-mouth dialogue was quite nice, though. Kurtz was a bit more 'light novel-like' and over the top than the rest of the show, but quite amusing.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 20:50   Link #346
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawr View Post
I guess Kurt(z) is an incubus.
Or, as Ugaki said, Kurt(z) could be one of those men who are not affected by succubi, ie: 100% gay. From what we know so far, this is a much more plausible theory since it has been positively confirmed by someone who would know more than anyone else, and it has not been stated that incubi are immune to succubi. Indeed, incubi have not even been mentioned.
Old 2017-02-18, 20:55   Link #347
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Or, as Ugaki said, Kurt(z) could be one of those men who are not affected by succubi, ie: 100% gay. From what we know so far, this is a much more plausible theory since it has been positively confirmed by someone who would know more than anyone else, and it has not been stated that incubi are immune to succubi. Indeed, incubi have not even been mentioned.
well he don't say which kurtz is gay direct he just say which the normal humans males can't resist unless they are gay, maybe kurt is a demi which is immune to succubus power and based on how he showed special interest on headless girl, he could be at last bi.

we really don't know if kurt is really just a human male or a demi it's a secrety, like the old guy told he is "his secret weapon".
Old 2017-02-18, 21:11   Link #348
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
well he don't say which kurtz is gay direct he just say which the normal humans males can't resist unless they are gay, maybe kurt is a demi which is immune to succubus power and based on how he showed special interest on headless girl, he could be at last bi.

we really don't know if kurt is really just a human male or a demi it's a secrety, like the old guy told he is "his secret weapon".
It didn't look to me like Kurt(z) paid any attention to Machi that could possibly be construed as anything other than gawking at a freak of nature and had nothing to do with Kurt(z)'s sexual orientation (if he even has any). After all, paying attention to demis is his job, and the probability that he has seen another dullahan is zippo, so of course he would have an intense interest in her as a part of his job.

Kurt(z) might just well be an incubus. Considering how these demis are spawned in this world, he could also be a 100% gay incubus which would further cement his immunity to succubi...
Old 2017-02-18, 21:12   Link #349
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
That episode seemed to go by quickly. Some anime-original scenes with Kurt wandering the school, bumping into the Demi-chans, and confronting the perv-boy (I'm pretty sure what that boy was doing qualifies as exactly the sort of crime Ugaki is supposed to deal with).
So am I - and even if the perv-boy photographer had learned his lesson about how inappropriate and illegal his actions were, not sure he did underneath all the sputtering, it certainly was not Kurtz' place to give permission to keep the illegally taken photograph. Not sure everyone in the audience got that message.

The episode addresses some of what Flower questioned:
"I wonder if even in times contemporary to that in which the series takes place there are other demi-humans who are ill-intentioned or even downright nasty, either in their school life times or as an adult?"

... but uncomfortably for some of the reasons Ghostfriendly described as well.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 21:12   Link #350
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Detective is a convincingly written male chauvinist pig, though he evidently means well. His description of Succubus 'crimes' was basically the supernatural version of 'she was asking for it in that skirt'; no normal woman would willingly be molested, and the punishment of the man would not be worse than what she had experienced. Yet the detective actually goes round Succubi and warns them not to use their powers in this way; being a Succubus is clearly worse than we thought. I imagined Succubus crimes would be seducing men and fleecing them of their money, or persuading Tom Felton to assassinate the Duke of Buckingham; not, getting themselves molested. The biggest legal problem with Succubi is that convicting anyone who molested them would be difficult, unless it could be proved that the Succubus never touched them; whether intentionally or not, the 'aura' would be a mitigating circumstance.
well, if a young angsty succubus was malicious and wanted to 'get back at men' always looking at them and wanted to push them more to punish them. Could happen. Scamming men out of their money would be much more risky since it would require being alone with them. At least doing in on a train in public, you won't get the money, but the satisfaction that you cost him $500 or so fine at being caught doing it is safer. Its just a possibility. I remember coming across a few shoujo mangas and other genres showing exactly this with the more trashy, less upright girl characters engaging in this during my time or browsing random series to read for a bit, so just saw this as the supernatural anime version of that.
Old 2017-02-18, 21:13   Link #351
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Kurtz being an incubus or being homosexual are possibilities, but of the two (again) incubus' have not been named in the series yet as existing.

Nevertheless, at the moment I still feel it is neither and that Kurtz is something else, with his physical abilities being a hint at that.

Of course at the moment all three possibilities are only conjectures, but at the moment in terms of possible evidence the only thing I can see is his being a demi of some sort. (Of course this is just my opinion and all. )

Still, when it comes down to simple brass tacks we don't know what he is. The mangaka could have something completely different in mind that would completely surprise every single one of us ... which would be nice, I think.
Old 2017-02-18, 21:25   Link #352
Blueknight78

Quote:
It didn't look to me like Kurt(z) paid any attention to Machi that could possibly be construed as anything other than gawking at a freak of nature and had nothing to do with Kurt(z)'s sexual orientation (if he even has any). After all, paying attention to demis is his job, and the probability that he has seen another dullahan is zippo, so of course he would have an intense interest in her as a part of his job.

Kurt(z) might just well be an incubus. Considering how these demis are spawned in this world, he could also be a 100% gay incubus which would further cement his immunity to succubi...
i'm talking more about the fact which he saw all the 3 girls but only the headless he keep looking more well, it's can be just job but really looked more interested/curious on her.

but so far he just a ????? (icognite) and we just knew which he is immune to succubus power and as the teacher explainned not need to be just gay if you are "enough pure" and have very low near none perv ideas you also can be resistent to her powers, he is just the mangaka secret.

another note about the succubus i think you are taking wrong what he wanted to say, he wanted to say which having succubus around is making hard caught "real molesters" in places like trains, cuz if the succubus are not proper pay attention even a "normal male guy" close to her can turn in a molester against his will", that is how complicated are succubs and which you still have some of then which actually do that on purpose to just make fun of someone due to they "devilish nature" then they can easy just arresting a "innocent person" which was just being under the effect of her power, then this make hard to catch real molesters, cuz they can even try to use it as "excuse" of they behavious, it's really a delicated topic to deal.
Old 2017-02-18, 22:25   Link #353
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Yeah, because false accusation of rape/molest never happens in real life. Oh wait ...
Old 2017-02-18, 22:34   Link #354
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So Sakie knows the truth about Tetsuo thank to Ugaki Then theres Kurtz dont really get him seems like a kid
Old 2017-02-19, 00:12   Link #355
Chosen_Hero

Personally I am stuck between Kurt being gay or a woman. Either way didn't care much for Kurt since I thought we would be getting a Sakie sensei focused episode... sadly that didn't happen.
Old 2017-02-19, 00:17   Link #356
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Could Kurtz be sorta like Touma from Index/Railgun, someone who is immune to the effects of Demis?

Also, just got tthe first 2 volumes on Amazon and pre-ordered vol 3.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 04:28   Link #357
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Heh, the biggest hint that Kurtz is an Incubus is when Hikari felt a "Sakie-vibe" from him to the point that she called him Sakki before noticing that he's a boy. That hint is as clear as day, and I didn't even put any effort to notice it. I don't think a simple gay-boy would "emanate" a "Sakie-vibe" towards Hikari since Sakie is not gay AFAIK. So yeah, given the logic, I lean more toward Kurtz being an Incubus.

But of course, that clue above could be a red herring and it turns out that Kurtz is just a gay or a trap or something else. I'm cool with it either way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Aren't incubi supposed to be immune to succubi? If so, they'd be useful if you're targeting succubi for particular scrutiny as Ugaki suggests. My only knowledge of incubi and succubi comes from watching Junketsu no Maria, so I'm still illiterate.
Yes. In all legends, Incubi are immune to Succubi charms unless they allow themselves to be charmed with their own will.

Quote:
Detective is a convincingly written male chauvinist pig, ....
My response is the same with TheForsaken's post above. False rape accusations done by women exist IRL amongst normal humans. So Ugaki's mindset where he thinks there's a possibility that the molested succubus was doing it on purpose with ill intention is not inherently chauvinistic IMO.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-02-19 at 04:46. Reason: Adding some things to the "sensitive" topic to make my message clearer
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 05:06   Link #358
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:

Sakie's motor-mouth dialogue was quite nice, though. Kurtz was a bit more 'light novel-like' and over the top than the rest of the show, but quite amusing.
The fact that "she was asking for it" is used as an excuse by rapists a lot of the time doesn't mean it's impossible that a woman might try to set up a man for a rape that didn't happen; it's just that in most cases that's not what actually happened. But it IS a possibility, which is why sex assault trials are pretty hard, because often all that needs to be argued is the matter of consent, which is very immaterial and leaves no definite evidence (especially if there were no witnesses, which is pretty common for sexual acts).

If a succubus could arbitrarily induce violent sexual urges into men, at best that would be like them being drugged, which means if she didn't do it on purpose it might as well just be considered an accident without a culprit. But in such a world, succubi would potentially be able to prompt assault and then blackmail a man, or for example use it to ruin someone's reputation/career. Hell, if I was a shady politician and wanted to ruin a rival, what better than hiring a succubus to provoke him into unbecoming behaviour in public or in a videotaped situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Heh, the biggest hint that Kurtz is an Incubus is when Hikari felt a "Sakie-vibe" from him to the point that she called him Sakki before noticing that he's a boy. That hint is as clear as day, and I didn't even put any effort to notice it. I don't think a simple gay-boy would "emanate" a "Sakie-vibe" towards Hikari since Sakie is not gay AFAIK. So yeah, given the logic, I lean more toward Kurtz being an Incubus.
Not to mention his age. Why would they carry him around as if he was some special weapon if all he was was... gay? Surely there must be plenty of adult gay men for that job. Or, y'know, straight women. All safely immune to succubi. So he must have an edge over them. Perhaps even with straight women or gay men they may have latent bisexual tendencies that will emerge when confronted with the full power of a succubus who's trying her hardest to seduce them. Kurtz must have some sort of counter-power or outright immunity.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 05:14   Link #359
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
Yeah, because false accusation of rape/molest never happens in real life. Oh wait ...
False accusations certainly happen, in cases where the woman is not actually raped/molested, so that's a different issue entirely. Women trying to present consentual sex as rape would have a tough enough time proving their case even if they weren't known to be Succubi. Consentual public molestation is frankly unbelievable.

Succubi could definitely abuse their powers, by starting fights between men, to give another example, or blackmail, though the crime there is a lot clearer. Or simply get a 'sugar daddy' to buy her things, which effectively means that any Succubus whose lover had a higher income would become a suspected criminal. The detective just picked the worst possible example.

All this criminal activity seems a million miles away from Sakie herself, but I suppose in general power corrupts.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2017-02-19 at 05:49.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 05:39   Link #360
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
False accusations certainly happen, in cases where the woman is not actually raped/molested, so that's a different issue entirely. Women trying to present consentual sex as rape would have a tough enough time proving their case even if they weren't known to be Succubi. Consentual public molestation is frankly unbelievable.

Succubi could definitely abuse their powers, by starting fights between men, to give another example, or blackmail, though that would be comparitively simple to prosecute. The detective just picked the worst possible example.
I don’t think it’s unbelievable. The logic is simple: if the Succubus is committed enough to get her target man arrested or imprisoned (for whatever reason), she could easily use her charm and endure being touched a wee little bit before she screams “Pervert!!” or “Molester!!!” to public and got the man arrested. Just a random thing that I remember that can be used for comparison somewhat: in ancient Japan, there are ladies called Kunoichis that often disguise themselves (or even committed themselves) as prostitutes just to assassinate their targets. They don’t mind being raped or even their virginity taken by the very man they hated just to get extra closer to them and kill them. The “bad Succubus”-case in this episode could be a very lighter version of that. Probably because the said succubus were offended or has personal grudge against her target man prior to the event or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Not to mention his age. Why would they carry him around as if he was some special weapon if all he was was... gay? Surely there must be plenty of adult gay men for that job. Or, y'know, straight women. All safely immune to succubi. So he must have an edge over them. Perhaps even with straight women or gay men they may have latent bisexual tendencies that will emerge when confronted with the full power of a succubus who's trying her hardest to seduce them. Kurtz must have some sort of counter-power or outright immunity.
There's one thing that makes me curious though: the "pedobear"-sighting by Hikari. Could it be Kurtz? If so, then what is he actually?

Tags
comedy, monster girls, school life, slice of life