AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-07-03, 17:41   Link #21
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

"I've seen modern technology, therefore I can make it" ...sadly this concept is always a turn off for me. Even experts in a field can probably not make some things happen if they had to start from zero. The fact its administrative doesn't really fix this problem for me.
Old 2021-07-03, 18:23   Link #22
bakato

God, I hated the sound of the novel and this anime is no different. Never mind that the premise itself reeks of white man's burden, but the the characters themselves are the worst. The king's the one acting like he was isekai'd and made a king just a few minutes ago. How can someone born and raised as royalty have no backbone?

Then there's Souma, a young Japanese citizen with no extraordinary background who seemingly possesses wide and deep expertise in various fields such as agriculture, economics, and geopolitics that he can run a nation. There's nothing realistic about this. The most you can get from being a bookworm is Yang Wenli and he was only a military genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
"I've seen modern technology, therefore I can make it" ...sadly this concept is always a turn off for me. Even experts in a field can probably not make some things happen if they had to start from zero. The fact its administrative doesn't really fix this problem for me.
It's the reason I could never get into Dr Stone. It's pretty disgusting how we take modern conveniences for granted like this.
Old 2021-07-03, 18:29   Link #23
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Quote from Kyon(?): "Give me a break! some people actually overzerous about the realiistism in fantasy fiction!!!"

Too bad! There are manga about physics, biology, medicine, material science, electronics, etc. They do not have anime opportunity because subject is too dry. Nevertheless, there is anime adaption based on not so serious subject on parapsychology and history.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-03, 18:33   Link #24
Alchemist007
*Author

I thought the mother was the fiancée at first
Old 2021-07-03, 20:35   Link #25
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I mean that epitome of beauty was quite youthful despite being a daughter of one. I wouldn't mind if she was the fiancée. (Just don't tell the guards otherwise I'd be executed for lese majeste.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-03, 22:01   Link #26
Magewolf

It is not usually that easy to just hand off a Kingdom. It would make more sense if they had had a sudden wedding and then had the king abdicate leaving the Hero as either King or prince consort depending on how they handle female inheritance. Instead you are left with a King with no popular support(apart from whatever being a hero gives) and no legal claim on the kingdom. Which is a recipe for rebellion.

Edit
Also I would take the Queen over the Princess any day of the week.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-03, 22:10   Link #27
Frontier

I think Liscia might really grow on me .
Old 2021-07-03, 22:11   Link #28
zztop

Realist Hero will only have 13 episodes.
https://genkoku-anime.com/blu-ray/

It will be released in 1 Bluray box, which has 2 actual episode Blurays and 1 CD.

Question is how much content they can cover in 13 eps.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-03, 23:17   Link #29
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
It is not usually that easy to just hand off a Kingdom. It would make more sense if they had had a sudden wedding and then had the king abdicate leaving the Hero as either King or prince consort depending on how they handle female inheritance. Instead you are left with a King with no popular support(apart from whatever being a hero gives) and no legal claim on the kingdom. Which is a recipe for rebellion.

Edit
Also I would take the Queen over the Princess any day of the week.
You might be right. The former king's authority is because he is his wife's husband. The queen was the princess of the kingdom. He has the backing of her supporters. The former king's sudden decision to hand over the rulership to a stranger may instigate the nobles in power. They know the former king as a good man, but do not know what the summoned yusha may do. The former king does not do anything to ease nobles' concerns.

The reason of the queen looking too young might be the illustrators do not like to draw women with wrinkles. They rahter to draw attractive young women instead, but it might get too genric.
Old 2021-07-04, 02:20   Link #30
arkhangelsk

Can someone explain why this Souma's first reaction is to do anything to avoid going to the Empire? If anything, based on the little information he was given, it's more reasonable for him to make a beeline for the Empire.
1) He had no information that the Empire was particularly bad, while this Kingdom has already abducted him for immediate transfer to the Empire.
2) He was told (and had no choice but to provisionally assume it's true) that there's a war that humanoidity as a whole must win. The Empire looks like the biggest power because of its map area and because of its rank - being a learned man in politics Souma should know Empire is not code for "bad", but a sovereignty that's powerful enough to have other kingdoms and principalities under its control.
3) The Empire's request for economic support is not manifestly unreasonable considering it happens to be the frontline state against a powerful enemy. If anything, my first impression would be that this Kingdom is shirking from paying a fair share of the war effort. It has difficulties, but who hasn't.
4) If his idea was to use his knowledge to improve the national power of whatever state he's working for, all else being equal he can do more in a big state rather than this little state with unimpressive officials. The fact the hero can substitute for at least one round of tribute suggests that the Empire sees a Hero as valuable, which suggests a high probability he'll be treated reasonably once there.

The show isn't doing anything to promote the idea that Souma's reaction is reasonable. Look at that brief shot of what's going on in the Empire (which Souma did not get to see). Who looks like the employer you want to work for, the Empire or the Kingdom? Is there something in the book they've skipped over?
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-04, 03:16   Link #31
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
3) The Empire's request for economic support is not manifestly unreasonable considering it happens to be the frontline state against a powerful enemy. If anything, my first impression would be that this Kingdom is shirking from paying a fair share of the war effort. It has difficulties, but who hasn't.
What I am noticing here is that there is a clear imbalance of power, with the Kingdom, perhaps via treaty, obligated to provide funds to the military of the Grand Chaos Empire. I know that the GCE is well-prepared for pushing back the demons, but why didn't Grand Chaos train soldiers from all the human kingdoms to match to be well-prepared for it? The Eastern Federation is still half of the border that must be kept secure from demons. Perhaps Souma saw something wrong when the Kingdom's funds are funneled away from self-defense?

Also, that uncertainty with the GCE (as well as anywhere else in this new world) in his point of view is a good reason for Souma to stay within the closest refuge he can get. Leaving the Kingdom denies himself of any security by the Kingdom and, if he is very savvy about his status as a "hero", then he would be aware that things like bandits or assassins can end his journey abruptly.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-04, 03:53   Link #32
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Can someone explain why this Souma's first reaction is to do anything to avoid going to the Empire? If anything, based on the little information he was given, it's more reasonable for him to make a beeline for the Empire.
No idea.

However, his specialty is not fighting. He studied and earned college scholarship, so he does not appear to be proficient in martial arts. The kingdom is not at the war, and has no intention to make him expandable.
Old 2021-07-04, 03:58   Link #33
Lex79

From what I remember in the LN it wasn't particularly elaborated why Souma didn't want to go to the empire, other than the concept of being handed other being not so pleasant in itself. I don't think it's an unreasonable reaction from his part, given the risk that the empire might do experiments on him or order him to fight against the demons as the hero.
Old 2021-07-04, 05:10   Link #34
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
God, I hated the sound of the novel and this anime is no different. Never mind that the premise itself reeks of white man's burden, but the the characters themselves are the worst. The king's the one acting like he was isekai'd and made a king just a few minutes ago. How can someone born and raised as royalty have no backbone?
There's a story behind that, but I don't know if we'll get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
1) He had no information that the Empire was particularly bad, while this Kingdom has already abducted him for immediate transfer to the Empire.
2) He was told (and had no choice but to provisionally assume it's true) that there's a war that humanoidity as a whole must win. The Empire looks like the biggest power because of its map area and because of its rank - being a learned man in politics Souma should know Empire is not code for "bad", but a sovereignty that's powerful enough to have other kingdoms and principalities under its control.
4) If his idea was to use his knowledge to improve the national power of whatever state he's working for, all else being equal he can do more in a big state rather than this little state with unimpressive officials. The fact the hero can substitute for at least one round of tribute suggests that the Empire sees a Hero as valuable, which suggests a high probability he'll be treated reasonably once there.

The show isn't doing anything to promote the idea that Souma's reaction is reasonable. Look at that brief shot of what's going on in the Empire (which Souma did not get to see). Who looks like the employer you want to work for, the Empire or the Kingdom? Is there something in the book they've skipped over?
It's mostly that he doesn't know what the Empire wants him for. Do you?

Maybe they want him as a guinea pig to see what the difference between "heroes" and normal people is. Or maybe they want to send him to the frontlines to punch Hitler the Demon King. Neither prospect is enticing.

And I'll point out that his talent for administration wouldn't be so valuable in an already well-run country. The GCE wouldn't have promoted him to head of state in three days.

To sum up, he made a snap judgment between the GCE, who are almost completely unknown, and Elfrieden, who from what he's seen are weak clowns, but more or less well-meaning.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-04, 09:06   Link #35
Ultragunner

the real winner here is the old king
he escaped from his official king duty and got to spend time with his waifu 10/10

LOL
Old 2021-07-04, 20:48   Link #36
AC-Phoenix
Detective

^
At first, I thought she was the princess, then he suddenly called her "dear" as in wife.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-05, 00:37   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It could be worse. In the manga, she was practically falling out of her dress.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-05, 03:10   Link #38
EroKing

Reddit has you covered regarding that change.

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-21 at 06:20.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-05, 03:33   Link #39
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Reddit has you covered regarding that change.
Did Reddit mention that it is probably only manga artist's personal preference? The anime is based on the novel route.
Spoiler:
Old 2021-07-05, 05:25   Link #40
moridin84
Custom User Title

The manga designs are crazy. All the characters look like giants.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote