AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-07, 22:08   Link #21
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I will say one thing that really makes this interesting for me is the whole memory thing. Most scenarios like this involve the girl knowing the evils of the person they are inhabiting, but it mostly isn't impeding them all that much. They are mostly just afraid of following the same path or getting killed again. But Pride is different. She's actively and visibly haunted by those actions. It's not just something that happened on the other side of a screen. It's something that she "remembers". She can see the trauma she committed and can be hammered much harder by things like Stale killing his own mother.

It also is nice that they took a bit of time having people react. Having all these people visibly terrified of this child really worked. And while she did soon get them to appreciate her change, it wasn't like they didn't need a bit of time. And the rumors aren't going to fade too quickly. It'll remain a talking point probably until there's a time skip.

Holy smokes this kid was evil though! The writers were really going all out when making that game! Tricking someone into what is effectively magical slavery and then making them murder their own parent! Geeze! No wonder this girl was killed off during the game! Although part of me isn't all that surprised a kid could grow up that warped. Slate's situation is pretty messed up even before Pride put herself into it. This kid was basically forced into servitude because he had super powers. Even if he escaped his mother would be in a bad spot. The Royal family just casually abuses its authority by default.
Old 2023-07-08, 16:51   Link #22
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Holy smokes this kid was evil though! The writers were really going all out when making that game! Tricking someone into what is effectively magical slavery and then making them murder their own parent! Geeze! No wonder this girl was killed off during the game! Although part of me isn't all that surprised a kid could grow up that warped. Slate's situation is pretty messed up even before Pride put herself into it. This kid was basically forced into servitude because he had super powers. Even if he escaped his mother would be in a bad spot. The Royal family just casually abuses its authority by default.
Yes, you have to wonder what the guys who came up with that law were thinking. "Let's kidnap some random child who happens to have a super power that's more useful than average, forbid any further contact with his family, and then... give him a lot of political power". That makes sense.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2023-07-09 at 09:49.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-09, 09:16   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, you have to wonder what the guys who came up with that law were thinking. "Let's kidnap some random child who happens to have a super power that's more useful than average, for bid any further contact with his family, and then... give him a lot of political power". That makes sense.
Those with power will innevitably push that power to it's limits. Given they have the power to forsee disasters, "slave contracts" magic and dont seem to have any religion or other faith to control their desires, it's pretty much going to end up there one way or another. Even when gods exist the ones with powers will make themselves look like gods, it goes even with out saying when such influence doesnt appear to be in the world. We see it problematic for the ruling class because we're outside the circle of influence, but for people inside it, both royalty and paupers, the perception of authority is absolute and power wielded by the powerful tangible as those magical shakles. A kid with teleportation couldnt escape with his mother is proof enough of that.
Old 2023-07-09, 09:54   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Those with power will innevitably push that power to it's limits.
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Quote:
Given they have the power to forsee disasters,
Very unreliably.

Quote:
"slave contracts" magic and dont seem to have any religion or other faith to control their desires, it's pretty much going to end up there one way or another. Even when gods exist the ones with powers will make themselves look like gods, it goes even with out saying when such influence doesnt appear to be in the world. We see it problematic for the ruling class because we're outside the circle of influence, but for people inside it, both royalty and paupers, the perception of authority is absolute and power wielded by the powerful tangible as those magical shakles. A kid with teleportation couldnt escape with his mother is proof enough of that.
Again, I don't know what you're trying to say. That rulers with superpowers will inevitably become tyrants? That people with strong powers should be closely monitored and managed? What?
Old 2023-07-09, 17:41   Link #25
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Again, I don't know what you're trying to say. That rulers with superpowers will inevitably become tyrants? That people with strong powers should be closely monitored and managed? What?
Ok let me try again,

- they dont care, they have all-powerful magical contracts
- they're so strong they barely register him as a person and inconvenience
- working or not, they have devine forsight as a threat and have their entire powerbase built around their belief on it so they dont care for risks like giving political power
- finally, I doubt he has much in terms of political power, since he's likely to forever just be a sort of slave in the context in question
Old 2023-07-09, 17:50   Link #26
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Ok let me try again,

- they dont care, they have all-powerful magical contracts
The contract that's normally used is much more permissive. Not to mention, what's the point of making him a prince if you're going to hobble him too much with a contract? If they'd wanted a slave, they could have gone for that directly.

Quote:
- they're so strong they barely register him as a person and inconvenience
They're making him a prince.

Quote:
- working or not, they have devine forsight as a threat and have their entire powerbase built around their belief on it so they dont care for risks like giving political power
I'm not even sure 100% of queens get the power. And while it can be helpful, they know it has limitations.

Quote:
- finally, I doubt he has much in terms of political power, since he's likely to forever just be a sort of slave in the context in question
Again, they're making him a prince. They're serious about that. It's just bonkers.
Old 2023-07-09, 18:24   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
The contract that's normally used is much more permissive. Not to mention, what's the point of making him a prince if you're going to hobble him too much with a contract? If they'd wanted a slave, they could have gone for that directly.

They're making him a prince.

I'm not even sure 100% of queens get the power. And while it can be helpful, they know it has limitations.

Again, they're making him a prince. They're serious about that. It's just bonkers.
A prince? isnt he already a prince of some sort and they're making him her assistant or something.

Either way, princes in this world don't really have power. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong but isnt it a Matriarchy or some such. So technically, the queen has power, her husband and the crown princess. Regular princesses probably have more respect then anything else, just because they could at any point become crown princess should anything happen to main candidate. As for princes, especially ones that are just royal though the father side, probably same power as a maid if his father or current queen affords him no special status; since they have literally no significance in the power pyramid.

Also, prince or not, it's made very clear that he's not on the same level as Pride since even with the permissive contract he is HER loyal subject, not equal. It's not clear what the specifics are but I imagine it's only slightly better. He still likely can't go against an order in a lot of circumstances or faces some penalty if he does.
Old 2023-07-10, 01:46   Link #28
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
A prince? isnt he already a prince of some sort and they're making him her assistant or something.
He's a random commoner who happens to have a useful power. (Lots of people have powers, his just happened to be more useful than average.)

Quote:
Either way, princes in this world don't really have power. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong but isnt it a Matriarchy or some such. So technically, the queen has power, her husband and the crown princess. Regular princesses probably have more respect then anything else, just because they could at any point become crown princess should anything happen to main candidate. As for princes, especially ones that are just royal though the father side, probably same power as a maid if his father or current queen affords him no special status; since they have literally no significance in the power pyramid.

Also, prince or not, it's made very clear that he's not on the same level as Pride since even with the permissive contract he is HER loyal subject, not equal. It's not clear what the specifics are but I imagine it's only slightly better. He still likely can't go against an order in a lot of circumstances or faces some penalty if he does.
Even in an autocracy, it's impossible to concentrate all the power in one person. The tyrant has to delegate some of it to run the country. So, while he won't be as powerful as the queen, he's still on track to be one of the most powerful people in the queendom.
Old 2023-07-10, 05:31   Link #29
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I see. I'll wait for them to explain his position better. The whole "your brother" part was confusing if its like you say it is.
Quote:
Even in an autocracy, it's impossible to concentrate all the power in one person. The tyrant has to delegate some of it to run the country. So, while he won't be as powerful as the queen, he's still on track to be one of the most powerful people in the queendom.
Fair. As her confidant and how nice she is to him now, he'll likely have at least minimal say in things.
Old 2023-07-10, 08:01   Link #30
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I see. I'll wait for them to explain his position better. The whole "your brother" part was confusing if its like you say it is.
They're adopting him, making him her adopted brother.
Old 2023-07-10, 12:30   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
They're adopting him, making him her adopted brother.
Is this just so he cant marry her? It seems, superfluous.
Old 2023-07-10, 18:09   Link #32
Alchemist007
*Author

Or perhaps so they can marry and be able to call it incest, because of course.
Old 2023-07-11, 09:06   Link #33
HandofFate

I liked the first episode, but I don't like the guilt she has for the character she took over. (when the character hasn't actually done anything evil yet)
It be one thing if it was the body did all the bad stuff, and she wanted to make things right, but nothing was wronged, but she's still feeling massive guilt. Just seems over the top for me.
Old 2023-07-11, 09:23   Link #34
zeross87

i dunno if it's a spoiler or just it was more clear in the LN :
Spoiler for maybe spoiler?:
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-11, 11:22   Link #35
magnuskn

Hm, I kinda got the impression from the anime that it's still Pride but with the memories of her prior life, including the knowledge of the games story, superimprinted on her own and therefore she got a giant shock of conscience from that. AND her precogition therefore kicked in such that she can see visions of her evil deeds which would have happened without the merge of memories. Hence the trauma.
Old 2023-07-11, 14:02   Link #36
Frontier

This felt more like Bakarina where the person's personality from their past life basically overtakes the personality of their old body and explains why they pull a complete 180 in terms of characterization compared to, say, Aileen from I'm the Villainess so I'm Taming the Last Boss where outside her game knowledge her personality still seemed to be 100% Aileen.
Old 2023-07-12, 08:22   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Is this just so he cant marry her? It seems, superfluous.
If anything, he can marry her more easily now that he's a prince rather than a commoner. Also remember that the heroine is Pride's sister and he's a capture target. "Incest" is not a problem.
Old 2023-07-12, 16:26   Link #38
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I liked the first episode, but I don't like the guilt she has for the character she took over. (when the character hasn't actually done anything evil yet)
It be one thing if it was the body did all the bad stuff, and she wanted to make things right, but nothing was wronged, but she's still feeling massive guilt. Just seems over the top for me.
Ye pretty sure this is "It's pride as ego, but past-memories have greater influence in sensibilities". She's, from her perspective, reformed-Pride (I think) more then soulposessing evil spirit that took over Pride's body. Also so as far as she's concerned the future happened, once, or rather IT will happen if she is/was left to her own devices.

It's kind of like if you knew tomorrow you "would" be a murderer. Knowing that, you might change that future, but you would still have your own image of innocense ruined when you look in the mirror because you know you would have been that with a single wrong step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hm, I kinda got the impression from the anime that it's still Pride but with the memories of her prior life, including the knowledge of the games story, superimprinted on her own and therefore she got a giant shock of conscience from that. AND her precogition therefore kicked in such that she can see visions of her evil deeds which would have happened without the merge of memories. Hence the trauma.
Don't think her "visions of the future" are her power, probably just her remembering the game.
Old 2023-07-12, 21:03   Link #39
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Don't think her "visions of the future" are her power, probably just her remembering the game.
I think its a bit of both -- an otome game's visuals wouldn't have been that intense -- but as far as Pride she definitely remembers the past 8 years of being a megabitch as well as her previous life.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 00:33   Link #40
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I think its a bit of both -- an otome game's visuals wouldn't have been that intense -- but as far as Pride she definitely remembers the past 8 years of being a megabitch as well as her previous life.
What's more, I think she's emotionally experiencing visions of the imminent future of what would have happened if the personality merge would not have occured. Her vision of her evil self making her new brother sign that slave contract and kill his own mother seemed too intense to be just memories from a game her past life played.