Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-21, 10:40   Link #1
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Gokusen

Anyone know anything about this show? All I've seen are a few screenshots and strangely, I find myself intrigued by the ugly art. It almost looks like GTO's art. I don't have a clue what it's about but I wish someone would sub an episode so I can see it.
Old 2004-01-21, 10:45   Link #2
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Anyone know anything about this show? All I've seen are a few screenshots and strangely, I find myself intrigued by the ugly art. It almost looks like GTO's art. I don't have a clue what it's about but I wish someone would sub an episode so I can see it.
Heh. From what I understand the story is basically GTO with a female lead: a female yakuza becoming a teacher.
Old 2004-01-21, 11:10   Link #3
stpehen
kisses for all

I think I like it more than GTO. The manga, at least, is a bit more low-key.
Old 2004-01-21, 19:43   Link #4
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Wow, a_nevels666, that's exciting to hear! I'm a GTO superfan, I'm not kidding. I just saw AonE did episode 1 so I'm DLing now and eagerly anticipating watching it.

stpehen, did you read raw manga, or are you hording some scanlations that you aren't telling me about? Spit it out!

Last edited by LiQuid|J; 2004-01-21 at 19:55.
Old 2004-01-21, 19:56   Link #5
Walküre

I just found some Background Info on this one, might be interresting for those who arent sure if they should download it or not.

After reading this, i decided to give it a try and check out the first Episode

erm, i just noticed that i dont know how that Spoiler thing works
so, major Spoilers ahead !!!

If you have heard of the drama, anime, and manga 'GTO' you may think the plot of Gokusen sounds a little familiar. But believe me, Gokusen has enough wit and charm and humor to make it a great series in its own right, despite the obvious comparisons to GTO.
It is the story of young high school teacher YAMAGUCHI Kumiko. At the beginning of the series, she is 23 years old, and fresh out of school. She has just accepted her first real teaching position as a math instructor at an all-boys high school. Kumiko is very cute in an awkward, quirky way. Her clothing is unfashionable, and she wears her long hair in two ponytails that make her look younger than she is. Her glasses add to the geeky effect. Her attitude is optimistic and almost naive. She wants to be a great teacher, and she believes in her students.

Kumiko's first class does not share in her dorky cheerfulness and optimism. They are a class of juvenile deliquents with multicolored hair, sloppy uniforms, and rough attitudes. They are lead by SAWADA Shin, their class leader who has a habit of being lazy in class. In the drama, her class is 3rd year, class D. The boys in 3-D are not thrilled to have such a lame looking teacher like Yamaguchi-sensei, so of course they try to bully her and force her to quit. Their attempts do not get them far.

What the class of 3-D does not know is that YAMAGUCHI Kumiko is a lot tougher than she looks. In fact, she has a secret life outside of the classroom that she goes to great pains to conceal from her students and coworkers. Kumiko is not your average shy geek. She is, in fact, the 4th generation heir to an infamous and powerful Tokyo Yakuza group! 7 years ago, Kumiko's parents passed away, and Kumiko was sent to live with her grandfather, the leader of the Yakuza group. Living with them has shaped Kumiko's personality in strange ways. When flustered or angry, she will switch from normal speech patterns, to the rough, crude slang speech of the Yakuza. She is also an excellent fighter, and can easily defeat a group of attackers.
With a background like that, why become a teacher? Well, Kumiko's parents had left the Yakuza family, and were trying to go straight. Her father had wanted to become a teacher. When they passed away, Kumiko decided to follow her father's dream. Her Yakuza family and friends support her in her decision and do what they can (in their own warped way) to help her out.

The series focuses on Kumiko's attempts at earning the trust and respect of her students and helping them become better people, beating up badguys, imparting life lessons (through inspirational speeches ^_^ and occasionally teaching math. And through all this, she must keep her unusual background a secret. If the school were to find out, she would be fired. There is, of course, a little romance going on, as Kumiko falls for someone very unsuitable for her, and a few people also fall for her.

Gokusen has action, mystery, comedy, and some romance, and is a lot of fun to watch! I really hope they make an anime of this too...

I found this on a private Page in the Net.
Old 2004-01-21, 20:13   Link #6
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
I just saw AonE did episode 1 so I'm DLing now and eagerly anticipating watching it.
see? I told ya we would .

enjoy!
Old 2004-01-21, 21:00   Link #7
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Walküre, thank you a lot for that description. It didn't seem too spoiler packed, more like a summary. I agree it sounds a lot like GTO with some twists, but I can hardly complain as I think GTO is the best anime I've ever seen, and have been desperately seeking shows along the lines of it for years to no avail.

complich8, you better hope I never see you in real life for fear of getting a big, sloppy, wet kiss planted on you.

Forgot to add, sorry for making a double topic for this anime, I forgot to do a search for it, so if a mod wants to merge, go ahead.

And I really really really wish I could connect to the tracker for this. There seems to be some problem, I've been trying to connect for almost an hour now and no dice. I'm sooo beaing teased
Old 2004-01-21, 21:52   Link #8
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Quote:
Walküre, thank you a lot for that description. It didn't seem too spoiler packed, more like a summary. I agree it sounds a lot like GTO with some twists, but I can hardly complain as I think GTO is the best anime I've ever seen, and have been desperately seeking shows along the lines of it for years to no avail.

complich8, you better hope I never see you in real life for fear of getting a big, sloppy, wet kiss planted on you.

Forgot to add, sorry for making a double topic for this anime, I forgot to do a search for it, so if a mod wants to merge, go ahead.

And I really really really wish I could connect to the tracker for this. There seems to be some problem, I've been trying to connect for almost an hour now and no dice. I'm sooo beaing teased
gotwoot's tracker seems to have probs, I'm not sure what exactly ...
bonkers posted a new torrent with some other tracker. I'm not sure what's up with it, but it should connect fine. torrent is mirrored at http://www.gotwoot.net/torrents/[Aon...E].avi.torrent

if all else fails, it should be on some of the bots in aone main... but I'm seeing this torrent working fine.

The series is great btw. Just watched ep 1. Definitely funny, definitely a little strange in the art department, but very watchable. Except for the damned irritating op song.
Old 2004-01-21, 23:58   Link #9
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

When I heard it was being compared to GTO i pretty much raced to the torrent ^^. The first ep was pretty interesting. I didnt really expect too much from it since its just the first ep but i was entertained. It's really too early to tell, but for now the premise and style seems to be different from GTO, and I'm wondering how far they're gonna take the sitatuation w/ her secret.
Old 2004-01-22, 01:30   Link #10
XooX

they could have done without the dog if you ask me ... my only grip though nice episode.
Old 2004-01-22, 02:21   Link #11
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Yeah I didn't quite get the dog either. Otherwise I thought it was funny, fun, and overall quite entertaining.
Old 2004-01-22, 02:22   Link #12
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XooX
they could have done without the dog if you ask me ... my only grip though nice episode.
What!? Yo.. that dog was so jokes... I also like it that teachers have to wear track suits and shows just in case they have to run away from their students.... haha .... this whole show looks like its gonna be great for me! It's funny and it's got this gangsta/teacher thing happening which is also sick! I've never seen GTO... so I can't compare... but hopefully this show doesn't crap out... it's got promise....
Old 2004-01-22, 03:04   Link #13
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I just saw the first episode and I was very impressed with this show. It is totally different from GTO in mood despite the obvious comparisons.

I also thought that AonE did an awesome job subbing it. I was particularly impressed that they translated all of the graffitti and yakuza slang. That must have been rough to get right.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-22, 04:25   Link #14
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walküre
erm, i just noticed that i dont know how that Spoiler thing works
so, major Spoilers ahead !!!
[Spoiler] message here [/Spoiler:] without the :

You guys got me interested in this show. I'll check it out.

edit: just seen ep1. Pretty good, differently has the GTO feel to it. The fight scenes are really exciting to watch. Can't wait for ep2.

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2004-01-26 at 17:49. Reason: fixed sp
Old 2004-01-22, 04:36   Link #15
Tommy
Mr. Prince

A very entertaining show this is. Of course thats to be expected when your following a winning formula such as GTO, just change a few things here and there and bingo Gokusen is born. But then again animes arent really that original anyways. They borrow so much from each other.

I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Oh yeah I thought the dog sucked as well.
Old 2004-01-22, 04:48   Link #16
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
The Dorama is better. This show wants to be GTO, but I doubt thats going to happen.

I'll gladly skip this and not waste my time with a GTO wannabe clone.
Old 2004-01-22, 05:16   Link #17
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
The Dorama is better. This show wants to be GTO, but I doubt thats going to happen.

I'll gladly skip this and not waste my time with a GTO wannabe clone.
I find it very entertaining, how can you just dismiss this show with only the first episode. At least give it a few more episodes then you can decide to scrap it or not. But I gotta say what is with the talking dog.
Old 2004-01-22, 05:25   Link #18
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
I find it very entertaining, how can you just dismiss this show with only the first episode. At least give it a few more episodes then you can decide to scrap it or not. But I gotta say what is with the talking dog.
that dog rocks! one of the coolest anime dogs of ALL TIME!!! mostly because I'm not sure if he's actually talking or just thinking to himself ..... but either way he's a badass. Also the fact that he's like .... clothed. And could take just about any normal person in a fistfight... regardless of the fact that he doesn't have fists

I dunno, I think he's the comic relief to make up for the fact that onizuka-girl isn't busy ogling hot female students and acting like a pervert. It fills the comic relief niche.
Old 2004-01-22, 05:52   Link #19
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Its hard enough to watch it with the unappealing art/design. I might give it another go with ep2, although I deleted ep1 already.
Old 2004-01-22, 06:22   Link #20
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
Its hard enough to watch it with the unappealing art/design. I might give it another go with ep2, although I deleted ep1 already.
Art was bland like TnK but the plot is OK. I would watch Ep2 and see if it improves.
________
Mazda rotary pickup picture

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:00.
Closed Thread